Smart Coaches Will Pass on Josh Allen

Irv

I was trying to think of players similar to Allen at other positions. His situation seem similar to Heyward-Bey and Troy Williamson. Guys that have all the measurables for the position but don't have the feel for the game to be great. I would much rather take a boom/bust player like that in the second round, there are too many good players to gamble with a 1st round pick on a project like that.

If the Bills draft Allen I will do my best to be 100% behind the pick.  However, I've had a really hard time understanding what anyone sees in him on tape.  My biggest fear is that Allen is Christian Hackenberg.  Similar size, and athleticism and almost the exact same completion % in college.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, metzelaars_lives said:

Why don't you put up his numbers from 2016 as a redshirt sophomore, his first year starting as a college QB, when his ENTIRE group of skill position players (yes, literally every single one) were seniors and he was named the first team all-MWC QB and led to his being named the MWC preseason player of the year going into 2017?  He also led the Cowboys to an 8-5 record, a MWC championship game and a decent bowl appearance against a ranked BYU team, both of which they narrowly lost, a season after they went 2-10 with all the same guys as juniors (different QB).

Honestly, not to be snarky or anything ...

but with ALL THAT NFL level talent around him, all those great skill players ... is it fair enough to show that he completed 56% of his passes? That he still had 15 INTs against 28 TDs? 

This was in his "good season".

He is a walking time bomb. I don't care how strong his arm is. Any GM blowing a 1st round pick on this guy, in this particular draft had better be so correct that he's just proven the earth is flat. Worse yet if that guy is the GM for a team as needy of talent as ours.

I am so afraid of Josh Allen. He’s the one guy I pray we don’t draft. Maybe he will “figure it out” once he gets to the NFL...god know that’s how it usually works lol. I don’t want a QB that has to learn things like accuracy and anticipation at the highest level. You have been playing qb for years, at this point you should know the basics. Let another team figure that out for a change. No more EJ. No more JP Losman. Please no to Josh Allen. I don’t care how strong your arm is. It doesn’t matter how hard the ball is blasting the ground as it falls behind a running WR. Get a real QB that is only going to have to learn a new offense. Not how to properly play his position.

Edited by Brianmoorman4jesus

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

So what is the biggest stat that shows he isn't ready? Is it his completion %? 

Whatdrought -  That's what I think.  Everything is way faster and tighter coverages in the NFL.  And the guy played in a sub tier conference.  He should have  dominated in that league.  What do you think about that? 

11 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Josh Allen certainly does carry a fair amount of risk.  There are, however, a number of factors that contribute to his accuracy issues that may be addressed with solid coaching.  It will take some time, and there are no guarantees, but if you don't need the guy to play right a way, and have a fair amount of risk tolerance, drafting Josh Allen could pay off big  time in the long run.  I'm not recommending Buffalo target him as I'm not sure they have the requisite risk tolerance.

Yup. Every one of these top 5-6 QB's comes with a few red flags. There is no Peyton Manning in this draft class.

1 hour ago, Irv said:

Whatdrought -  That's what I think.  Everything is way faster and tighter coverages in the NFL.  And the guy played in a sub tier conference.  He should have  dominated in that league.  What do you think about that? 

I saw the other day that Matthew Stafford had a similar % coming out and it made me wonder how important the % really is... 

I don't personally know too much about evaluating QB's so I don't know for sure.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

If the Bills draft Allen I will do my best to be 100% behind the pick.  However, I've had a really hard time understanding what anyone sees in him on tape.  My biggest fear is that Allen is Christian Hackenberg.  Similar size, and athleticism and almost the exact same completion % in college.

I’ll admit his ceiling is very impressive, but he scares the crap out of me! But, like you, if he’s the pick I’ll try to get behind it and pray for the best. 

2 hours ago, Irv said:

Did you know that Wyoming won 8 games in back to back seasons for the first time since 87 and 88?

Did you know that Wyoming had won 6 games combined in the two years with coach Bohl before Josh Allen?

Did you know that when Josh Allen got injured during the season, Wyoming lost to San Jose St? That is the same San Jose St. team whose only other win that year was against a D-2 school?

Allen is not perfect, but he was pretty integral to Wyoming not winding up a bottoms feeder in the conference imo. And he made the one coach in college that didn’t pass on him look pretty smart.

Edited by LEBills

14 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Josh Allen certainly does carry a fair amount of risk.  There are, however, a number of factors that contribute to his accuracy issues that may be addressed with solid coaching.  It will take some time, and there are no guarantees, but if you don't need the guy to play right a way, and have a fair amount of risk tolerance, drafting Josh Allen could pay off big  time in the long run.  I'm not recommending Buffalo target him as I'm not sure they have the requisite risk tolerance.

How do u fix slow eyes.. that's the killer right there.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I am so afraid of Josh Allen. He’s the one guy I pray we don’t draft. Maybe he will “figure it out” once he gets to the NFL...god know that’s how it usually works lol. I don’t want a QB that has to learn things like accuracy and anticipation at the highest level. You have been playing qb for years, at this point you should know the basics. Let another team figure that out for a change. No more EJ. No more JP Losman. Please no to Josh Allen. I don’t care how strong your arm is. It doesn’t matter how hard the ball is blasting the ground as it falls behind a running WR. Get a real QB that is only going to have to learn a new offense. Not how to properly play his position.

That's what you pray about?  Yeah I'm sure that's at the top of God's priority list.

I'm not an Allen advocate but I have hope for the guy.  What I would say is that Smart Coaches will find out what throws Allen can make at a high percentage and they'll only ask him to master that initially before giving him anything else.  I think if you take a very calculated approach of feeding him small doses, it will help his development.  But if there is a coach who wants to throw him to the wolves right away, that's the coach that needs to stay away from Allen.

Edited by NewEraBills

11 hours ago, Augie said:

I’ll admit his ceiling is very impressive, but he scares the crap out of me! But, like you, if he’s the pick I’ll try to get behind it and pray for the best. 

....Casserly has Bflo trading 12 & 22 to Broncos for #5, picking Allen.....................