Mason Rudolph to Have Pre-Draft Visit With the Bills

11 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

It could be anything, due diligence, smoke screen, or the recognition that an avenue to acquire one of the top 4 QBs (or the one they really want) isn't available.

It's been a roller coaster build up for sure, but my optimism on a move up is waning.  

Don't understand why it would wane.

Any trade up won't happen until draft night.

48 minutes ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

Edit - that's insane - how do you judge a quarterbacks ability from a game like that?

It's a testament to what people are saying about the level of competition that these guys faced. Defense is simply not played in this conference. 

Somebody posted video of Josh Rosen struggling against Washington in this thread. Biggest caveat there is that the Huskies had the best defense in college football. A little different than struggling against Texas. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Allen has projectable talent in terms of potential success in the NFL. Their physical ability isn't even on the same stratosphere. Allen has the potential to be ridiculously good whereas Rudolph has the upside of back up/mediocre starter. That's why Allen is a first round pick and Rudolph is not. The top of the draft is about upside and projection. It isn't even close. 

Rudolph is 6'5 230, Allen 6'5 230. Rudolph had 37 touchdowns against some of the top college talent there is. Allen's best was 28 playing against may be a handful of guys that might get drafted. Rudolph has played on the big stage. Rudolph gets dinged by alot of critics cuz he's not fast but he had 10 rushing tds, he's capable of pushing the pile on the goal line. Im not saying Allen isn't a better athlete cuz overall I think he is more gifted and yes maybe more potential but what I'm saying is I don't think the difference of Allen and Rudolph is worth all our 1st round picks and probably next year's. I think if Carson Wentz didn't light up the NFL and completely  prove worth the  price paid coming from a small school like Allen, I don't think Allen would be considered in a different "stratosphere" than Rudolph.

2 hours ago, PIZ said:

Did you think Mayfield's arrest will have an effect McBeane moving up for him?  It's why I think they will go conservative and take Rudolph and keep the picks.

It’s true, he’s not as athletic or elusive as Russell Wilson. 

• Haha (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

Rudolph is 6'5 230, Allen 6'5 230. Rudolph had 37 touchdowns against some of the top college talent there is. Allen's best was 28 playing against may be a handful of guys that might get drafted. Rudolph has played on the big stage. Rudolph gets dinged by alot of critics cuz he's not fast but he had 10 rushing tds, he's capable of pushing the pile on the goal line. Im not saying Allen isn't a better athlete cuz overall I think he is more gifted and yes maybe more potential but what I'm saying is I don't think the difference of Allen and Rudolph is worth all our 1st round picks and probably next year's. I think if Carson Wentz didn't light up the NFL and completely  prove worth the  price paid coming from a small school like Allen, I don't think Allen would be considered in a different "stratosphere" than Rudolph.

You make some good points. You aren't taking into account Rudolph's noodle arm as compared to Allen (maybe one of the best arms ever). When you talk about physical ability, there really is no argument, but stats etc Rudolph has him there. We will see what happens, but there is a reason why Allen is projected to go in the top five and Rudolph is a day two pick who could get overdrafted in the bottom of the first. 

You have to take potential into account, and the high ceiling of Allen makes him far and away the better prospect. 

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

It's a testament to what people are saying about the level of competition that these guys faced. Defense is simply not played in this conference. 

Somebody posted video of Josh Rosen struggling against Washington in this thread. Biggest caveat there is that the Huskies had the best defense in college football. A little different than struggling against Texas. 

Best defensive secondary pretty much is found in Baton Rouge. On occasion, Columbus OH. 

Funny little guy that played for the Crimson Tide did pretty good against those Tigers - three out of four wins, including two in Louisiana. Look at game tapes, try and figure out competition, what ever. You can come up with any reason for liking or not liking the guy you want. 

By the way, Malik Jefferson plays some pretty good ball down in Texas. There's at least two or three other guys from Austin that will have their names called too. Like I say, we can make all the excuses and dances about who you are playing against or with - but at the end of the day it starts with whether or not you can perform on Sundays.

2 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Best defensive secondary pretty much is found in Baton Rouge. On occasion, Columbus OH. 

Funny little guy that played for the Crimson Tide did pretty good against those Tigers - three out of four wins, including two in Louisiana. Look at game tapes, try and figure out competition, what ever. You can come up with any reason for liking or not liking the guy you want. 

By the way, Malik Jefferson plays some pretty good ball down in Texas. There's at least two or three other guys from Austin that will have their names called too. Like I say, we can make all the excuses and dances about who you are playing against or with - but at the end of the day it starts with whether or not you can perform on Sundays.

I hear you, but do you not realize how good the Huskies were? They were right up there with Alabama, something like less than 4 yards per play or something. Like ridiculously good. 

I think Baker has some potential, though he did not fare well against a team like Georgia with all of that speed. I do think his numbers are inflated because of the competition, but I think his skills are projectable. I think Rudolph sucks. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I hear you, but do you not realize how good the Huskies were? They were right up there with Alabama, something like less than 4 yards per play or something. Like ridiculously good. 

I think Baker has some potential, though he did not fare well against a team like Georgia with all of that speed. I do think his numbers are inflated because of the competition, but I think his skills are projectable. I think Rudolph sucks. 

It was a good defense. No doubt. 

The scope of a player isn't told on one day. Josh Rosen is a talented man. He has great footwork, as every tennis player would, and it leads to consistent delivery. Behind the right offensive line he will win several Super Bowls. 

Things that you do, over and over and over (or fail to do) in college ... between 23 and 30, these things don't change. I'll say this: Baker Mayfield strikes me as the best QB not only in this draft but in several. 

Because being a truly, truly great QB isn't what you do on any given Sunday. It hasn't a thing to do with your God given ability. Its what you do when the world is falling apart around you. Baker Mayfield is a winner in the tradition of Doug Flutie, in the tradition of Archie Manning, in the tradition of Russell Wilson. But the difference between Baker and those other winning, quick-twitch QBs is he's the most accurate QB I've ever seen. That inspires others and I think at the end of the day will put fear into a defense on Sundays. He is the only guy I could understand opening up the vault to obtain.

Mason Rudolph? He's just another QB. He doesn't stink but he strikes me as Josh McCown. I'd rather take a great linebacker (Smith) and a great offensive lineman (Wynn) in the first before I'd take Mason Rudolph.

As I've said too many times. Baker Mayfield should go #1, overall and I think we'll be able to get Josh Rosen at the 6th or 7th pick for much less than what people think we'll need to give up.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Fair point.

Although, and If I recall correctly, didn't Rudolph say in a presser that any claims that he only played in a defensively weak conference and therefore he hadn't proven himself was BS because he did play some games against teams from stronger conferences where he also produced good numbers? 

7 hours ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

Fair point.

Although, and If I recall correctly, didn't Rudolph say in a presser that any claims that he only played in a defensively weak conference and therefore he hadn't proven himself was BS because he did play some games against teams from stronger conferences where he also produced good numbers? 

Of course Rudolph is going to say that. He isn't going to say "oh yeah my numbers are inflated because the defenses we played really sucked. But I did play a few games against good teams."

In 2016 the two ranked teams they beat were West Virginia and Colorado. They lost to Oklahoma where Rudolph threw for just 186 yards. His stats against West Virginia were good, but not of the 400 yard variety. 

In 2017, he put up great numbers in losses to TCU and Oklahoma as well as a win against Virginia Tech. So a couple of ok games against tough competition and a bunch of ridiculous numbers against cream puffs like Tulsa.

His numbers are inflated because the offense he plays in and the lack of competition. when you start looking at projectable NFL stuff like arm strength, foot work, he simply doesn't have it. And I don't care what anyone says, but his tiny hands are a concern. 

• Like (+1) 1

I have no problem with Rudolph, especially if the Bills test his arm during his visit (maybe take him outside this weekend and let him throw a little) and he passes their threshold. 

To me, Rudolph has the best in pocket movement of the top 6. He is able to slide and step up in the pocket like a franchise qb should. He is also smart, mature, competitive and could turn into a very good leader. If you listen to Rudolph in interviews, he has that “it” quality as far as leadership and personality. He just acts and talks like a franchise qb. He is experienced and has decent accuracy. He does have good deep ball accuracy and I like that he is not afraid to throw a back shoulder or jump ball to his bigger wr (we have Benjamin). 

My only question has to do with his arm strength. It has always concerned me. If Rudolph gets off platform he has a tough time throwing and accurate pass with velocity. This would be a disaster if it were not for his ability to maneuver in the pocket. Manning and Brady mastered in pocket movement and are not very good throwing off platform like a Rodgers. So if Rudolph could progress in his pocket movement he could still find success. 

Overall, I think Rudolph has a reasonable chance to be a franchise qb. He is more likely to end up at the Dalton/Flacco level of play but that’s not too bad. I think we might have to take him at 12 or slide back just a few picks. There are a ton of teams looking for qbs and after the top 4, Rudolph might be the next best option. Waiting until 22 could allow other teams to move up just in front of us. If the Bills test him and believe he can be the guy, don’t get to cute and make sure you get him. And the nice thing would be that we still have a lot of early picks to fill in holes. 

18 hours ago, Tatonka68 said:

BEST QB IN DRAFT, and not even close.

Totally agree Rudolph will be the guy that surprises the most. Him Josh Allen and Mayfield are the guys I would like to see the Bills get one of these 3 QB’s 

15 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

It's not overblown when people say Rudolph sucks.

Just watch the tape on him.

He is really bad. 

Man you are so wrong on your assessment of Rudolph you could not be more wrong. Will have better career then Darnold and Rosen. 

To all of those on here who’ve ‘watched film’ and therefore counted players out, you do realize that the Bills have the SAME film and more right???  There are probably a dozen other QBs that are NOT visiting WNY this next week. Do you really think the front office would be wasting their valuable time bringing in a guy that they’ve already written off?  I don’t think so.

PS: I’m guessing these visits are more about character, smarts, professionalism  and attitude than they are about arm strength.

17 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

To all of those on here who’ve ‘watched film’ and therefore counted players out, you do realize that the Bills have the SAME film and more right???  There are probably a dozen other QBs that are NOT visiting WNY this next week. Do you really think the front office would be wasting their valuable time bringing in a guy that they’ve already written off?  I don’t think so.

PS: I’m guessing these visits are more about character, smarts, professionalism  and attitude than they are about arm strength.

Makes sense. I don’t think it would be a bad idea if the Bills were to test his arm outside to see how he reacts (especially considering the weather we have currently will be similar to November and December games). Every bit of information on these guys helps. 

20 minutes ago, racketmaster said:

Makes sense. I don’t think it would be a bad idea if the Bills were to test his arm outside to see how he reacts (especially considering the weather we have currently will be similar to November and December games). Every bit of information on these guys helps. 

They actually aren’t allowed to do any on-field testing during these visits. Only written testing, interviews, and medical checks. 

I would hesitate to look too much into who they have brought in. Last year the Bills  only drafted one guy who they brought in (Peterman). Their top picks didn’t visit.

Looking at where Beane was last year, the Panthers also only drafted one of their players who visited, Christian McCaffrey. 

Of interest, two of the Bills top picks visited the Panthers last year but not the Bills: White and Dawkins. And the Panthers held a private workout with Zay. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Not only do the pros have more film, they actually know the details of what to look for. Unlike all but maybe a few of us.

• Like (+1) 2