Scouts Inc (McShay): First time in 15 years that 4 QBs had a grade of 90+

Pretty interesting tweet, and one that I felt the need to look back on past draft classes for.

ESPN archives all of the Scouts Inc. grades dating back to the 2004 draft (Eli, Rivers, Big Ben, Losman). It appears that either in 2014 or 2015, they tweaked their grading formula and became much harsher. For example, 2008 had 13 players rated 95+. 2013 had 9. 2014 had 5, and 2015-2018 has had 5 combined. So in that context, the tweet above is even more impressive.

Unfortunately, there's no way to adjust the ratings from past years to match whatever this new rating system is, so I made no attempt to. I did, however, gather up all of the QBs from 2004-2018 that had a grade of 90+ and came up with the following, in order:

T1        Ben Roethlisberger

T1        Aaron Rodgers

T1        Andrew Luck

T4        Eli Manning

T4        Alex Smith

T4        Matt Leinart

T4        JaMarcus Russell

T4        Matt Ryan

T9        Vince Young

T9        Brady Quinn

T9        Sam Bradford

T9        Robert Griffin III

T9        Jameis Winston

T14      Jay Cutler

T14      Matt Stafford

T14      Blaine Gabbert

T17      Philip Rivers

T17      Mark Sanchez

T19      Ryan Tannehill

T19      Sam Darnold

T21      Brian Brohm

T21      Cam Newton

T21      Marcus Mariota

T24      Josh Allen

T24      Josh Rosen

T26      Blake Bortles

T26      Carson Wentz

T26      Jared Goff

T26      Baker Mayfield

T30      Chad Henne

T30      Jake Locker

T30      Johnny Manziel

9 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Pretty interesting tweet, and one that I felt the need to look back on past draft classes for.

ESPN archives all of the Scouts Inc. grades dating back to the 2004 draft (Eli, Rivers, Big Ben, Losman). It appears that either in 2014 or 2015, they tweaked their grading formula and became much harsher. For example, 2008 had 13 players rated 95+. 2013 had 9. 2014 had 5, and 2015-2018 has had 5 combined. So in that context, the tweet above is even more impressive.

Unfortunately, there's no way to adjust the ratings from past years to match whatever this new rating system is, so I made no attempt to. I did, however, gather up all of the QBs from 2004-2018 that had a grade of 90+ and came up with the following, in order:

T1        Ben Roethlisberger

T1        Aaron Rodgers

T1        Andrew Luck

T4        Eli Manning

T4        Alex Smith

T4        Matt Leinart

T4        JaMarcus Russell

T4        Matt Ryan

T9        Vince Young

T9        Brady Quinn

T9        Sam Bradford

T9        Robert Griffin III

T9        Jameis Winston

T14      Jay Cutler

T14      Matt Stafford

T14      Blaine Gabbert

T17      Philip Rivers

T17      Mark Sanchez

T19      Ryan Tannehill

T19      Sam Darnold

T21      Brian Brohm

T21      Cam Newton

T21      Marcus Mariota

T24      Josh Allen

T24      Josh Rosen

T26      Blake Bortles

T26      Carson Wentz

T26      Jared Goff

T26      Baker Mayfield

T30      Chad Henne

T30      Jake Locker

T30      Johnny Manziel

Where's Jevan Snead?

Todd McShay—of Scouts, Inc. and ESPN fame—graded Snead in the 90s and pegged him as a first rounder.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Everyone knows that Mason Rudolph is the best QB in the draft...

Not that I personally think so, but in the end he very well have the best career of the bunch.  People get too caught up in pre-draft rankings to consider that the best careers aren't always the ones who go first.

• Like (+1) 1

The different assessments on Allen is baffling. There is a camp that believes he is the next Roethlisberger and there is a camp that believes he is going to be a Kyle Boller type bust. I have seen projections where he could be the first qb off the board or a qb that teams are vying to get him. 

Can't Gunner, Bandit and Bloke get together and come up with a consensus? Just hash it out and come to an agreement. I need to warn Gunner and Bloke that Bandito is pugnacious and that he will forcefully hold to his position that Allen is worth being the apple of one's eye. If you continue to disagree you will be in a bloody battle until you relent. 

4 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

And we cried when the Bills didn't draft them. Same will happen this year. 

Some yes, some no, point taken.

We could have had Watson or Maholmes last year with no trade.

Kinda feeling like we screwed the pooch on those non picks.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Woodman19 said:

Not that I personally think so, but in the end he very well have the best career of the bunch.  People get too caught up in pre-draft rankings to consider that the best careers aren't always the ones who go first.

It’s possible, just not likely..

2 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

It’s possible, just not likely..

Not too unlikely, anyone who is going to get taken in the first couple rounds obviously has skill and say he ends up getting taken by the Patriots or Steelers and has a chance to learn for a year or two while the Darnolds, Rosens etc get drafted by teams like the Browns and Jets then anything can happen.  Just look at any draft and see how the best players from them aren't always taken in the top 5.  Talent is littered throughout because players develop differently in different environments. 

11 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The different assessments on Allen is baffling. There is a camp that believes he is the next Roethlisberger and there is a camp that believes he is going to be a Kyle Boller type bust. I have seen projections where he could be the first qb off the board or a qb that teams are vying to get him. 

Can't Gunner, Bandit and Bloke get together and come up with a consensus? Just hash it out and come to an agreement. I need to warn Gunner and Bloke that Bandito is pugnacious and that he will forcefully hold to his position that Allen is worth being the apple of one's eye. If you continue to disagree you will be in a bloody battle until you relent. 

Kyle Boller isn't nearly the bust people make him out to be, especially as the 19th pick...JaMarcuss Russell or Ryan Leaf are more synonymous with bust

3 minutes ago, Mikey152 said:

Kyle Boller isn't nearly the bust people make him out to be, especially as the 19th pick...JaMarcuss Russell or Ryan Leaf are more synonymous with bust

Its kinda true that almost every QB taken in the first couple of rounds who isnt a Hall of Fame QB is always a "bust" in peoples mind.

• Like (+1) 1