Manziel: Browns Didn't Do Their Homework to Understand I Didn't Know X's and O's of Football

1 hour ago, kdiggz said:

haha this is like going to a job interview and they are like why did you get fired from your last job and you say "i don't know what I'm doing and I'm lazy.  it was their fault for hiring me.  they should have known better."

on the other hand, it shows some honesty now.  Like, I was a total mess-up.  Although I'd leave out the "they shouldn't have hired me" part.  

8 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Sure, he could be willing to do that. But if you have no experience with a pro offense and its concepts, it really isnt something you are going to teach yourself.

The bulk of all his failure is on Johnny, do not get me wrong. But the Browns certainly did not help him, and really set him up to fail, even if he was 100% dedicated.

That's why they have OC's and QB coaches.

It was the Browns’ fault he did blow and posted it on Instagram. It was the Browns’ fault he skipped practice because he was a drunk. It was the Browns’ fault he hit his girlfriend.  

It it blows my mind that so people want this guy to get another chance when there are plenty of more qualified ones who are free agents.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

That's why they have OC's and QB coaches.

Who didnt take the time to teach him. Bad (or nonexistent) QB development program.

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It was the Browns’ fault he did blow and posted it on Instagram. It was the Browns’ fault he skipped practice because he was a drunk. It was the Browns’ fault he hit his girlfriend.  

It it blows my mind that so people want this guy to get another chance when there are plenty of more qualified ones who are free agents.

Why does it have to be all one or the other? Manziel had a ton of issues that were his fault, and the Browns had no program to properly develop a QB even if he was 100% dedicated. Why's that so hard?

This young man is getting chewed and spit out because he's honest....sorry, but for someone who is in recovery, honesty and transparency is the key to maintaining sobriety. There is a saying in the recovery rooms: secrets keep you sick. I'm not saying that's entirely his motive, no one really knows that but him, but I am saying many people coming through recovery, especially those still in their first year or two, overemphasize the honesty portion of recovery. 

For so long they lied, manipulated, and cajoled the people around them to enable their unhealthy and destructive choices and behaviors so deception is literally, second nature. In an effort radically course correct their lives, they go to the opposite end of the spectrum. It usually takes longer in being clean and sober for that person to know where that boundary is when deception is not failure to disclose every bit of truth. 

However, I will give him credit for making some of the personal strides he's made and wish him well. I agree, I think he has a long, arduous uphill battle to come back to the NFL and these statements don't help him. But in the end, it's about the person. So since none of us know where he is mentally, psychologically or spiritually, I can only hope he continues his path of clean and sober living and giving his efforts and time to truly rewarding pursuits. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Why would he say this?  He supposedly has desire to get back to the NFL and now he throws the organization he played for under the bus.

He just threw himself under the bus!  Incredible!  To the Pop Warner League he goes.., maybe.

He is stating the obvious.. which is he wasn't dedicated when he came out of school and didn't have the football knowledge needed to be an NFL starter.  He's not blaming the Browns for his downfall, but the quote says more about why the Browns are such a garbage franchise.... Which is not Manzell's fault.

Cleveland did cut him don't forget so it's a 2-way street.  Not sure why fans think we should hold the shield on a pedestal...

Edited by Jobot

Toxic QB room translation - FIGJAM and I don't need to watch film like these other chumps. Once a douche, always a douche. If I were the Hamilton Ti-Cats, I'd tell him we don't need you in the CFL either.

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Why would he say this?  He supposedly has desire to get back to the NFL and now he throws the organization he played for under the bus.

Because he doesn't hear it the same way we do.  He's a guy that says something like this - his advisors go, why the heck would you say that and he'd replay; what?

I know they're not exactly the same but I see some of this in Mayfield.  I think he's the kind of guy that if he starts out bad and the media lays it on him will go off the rails.  He's got fire no doubt but it's too much, imo.  I think he has the potential to be an explosive personality. 

I understand shorter QB's feel slighted so they play with an extra edge.  Sometimes that edge isn't always channeled correctly and turns you into a nut. 

51 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Who didnt take the time to teach him. Bad (or nonexistent) QB development program.

Why does it have to be all one or the other? Manziel had a ton of issues that were his fault, and the Browns had no program to properly develop a QB even if he was 100% dedicated. Why's that so hard?

I would compare this to the Bills’ development of EJ.  Personally, I think it was an absolute joke and the ruined any chance of him developing.  But the difference is EJ was at least hard working and wanted to succeed.

Johnny destroyed his own development.  He is just another entitled rich kid who finds ways to blame others.  I could be wrong but I think he is using the partying as a reason why he didn’t succeed.  He just isn’t good enough and the Browns wasted a pick on him.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Luxy312 said:

CFL is his best bet at this point.  hitting rock bottom and trying to dig.

I realize the CFL is not the NFL and that maybe I'm misunderstanding your message, but can you please reword your comment in regards to comparing the CFL to hitting rock bottom?

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I would compare this to the Bills’ development of EJ.  Personally, I think it was an absolute joke and the ruined any chance of him developing.  But the difference is EJ was at least hard working and wanted to succeed.

Johnny destroyed his own development.  He is just another entitled rich kid who finds ways to blame others.  I could be wrong but I think he is using the partying as a reason why he didn’t succeed.  He just isn’t good enough and the Browns wasted a pick on him.

Another reason to take off-field antics into consideration and not just look at college stats ... makes me wonder about Mayfield.

image.thumb.png.05c65c8559759a7ebf2f0fc54868b7c7.png

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

...poor victim.....he knew these "x's" well right?........

image.png.c7e12b094580b396b43fd00f870375ff.png

• Like (+1) 1