Hue Jackson - "We're taking a QB at 1"

Speaking of sitting at 12 and waiting, has anyone else wondered if dealing TT for the 3rd and showing their hand will end up costing them more than the return they got in the trade?

I know the bonus plays into it and other things but it's something that has been on my brain. The Bills are sitting ducks at 12 and almost forced to overpay if they want one of the 4.

4 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Speaking of sitting at 12 and waiting, has anyone else wondered if dealing TT for the 3rd and showing their hand will end up costing them more than the return they got in the trade?

I know the bonus plays into it and other things but it's something that has been on my brain. The Bills are sitting ducks at 12 and almost forced to overpay if they want one of the 4.

If anything it was the Glenn trade, most expected us to cut him before we paid him the bonus or pay him as an expensive backup. No one thought he was starting for us this year.

No I don't think either trade cost us though. I think Beane had an opportunity to get it done, and he was either: A) was too slow B) Has some other plan up his sleeve C) Really is content with sticking with 12 and 22.

It makes you wonder what his motivation is for making a public statement like that, specially when they are talking with QB hungry teams about trading.  I don’t doubt they go QB, but it makes me wonder if they are trying to drive up the price for a team on a trade

Just now, What a Tuel said:

If anything it was the Glenn trade, most expected us to cut him before we paid him the bonus or pay him as an expensive backup. No one thought he was starting for us this year.

No I don't think either trade cost us though. I think Beane had an opportunity to get it done, and he was either: A) was too slow B) Has some other plan up his sleeve C) Really is content with sticking with 12 and 22.

If they paid him the bonus and continued the Taylor is our guy speech the situation wouldn't have been as desperate. They left zero doubt once they dealt Taylor and now they are a sitting duck. 

Just now, BuffaloRush said:

It makes you wonder what his motivation is for making a public statement like that, specially when they are talking with QB hungry teams about trading.  I don’t doubt they go QB, but it makes me wonder if they are trying to drive up the price for a team on a trade

Exactly. Why highlight a player that a few teams have shown a desire to have?

36 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

I've been reading a lot about how excited both teams are to pick in their respective spots.  Gettleman says at pick 2 you expect to get a HOF type player.  Now Hue is saying how he dreams about adding Chubb to his DL because at this point they need impact players (aka not more draft picks).  I think both teams like where they are picking

The thing Gettleman keeps saying over and over is if you pick at 2 you expect a HoF player. This is telling to me at least because there is 1 guy in a position of need for them that keeps getting touted as a likely HoF caliber player. That's Nelson. However with how much he's said it it likely means it's a smokescreen I'd say. I think he's looking to talk the pick up and hope to work that into more picks.

5 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

The thing Gettleman keeps saying over and over is if you pick at 2 you expect a HoF player. This is telling to me at least because there is 1 guy in a position of need for them that keeps getting touted as a likely HoF caliber player. That's Nelson. However with how much he's said it it likely means it's a smokescreen I'd say. I think he's looking to talk the pick up and hope to work that into more picks.

I agree with this and he also wants Nelson...They key to keeping Eli around and helping Eli be effective its making sure he has a pocket to work in...

11 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Clearly, to drive up the value of the pick, for a trade. 

If Hue was serious he would have gone a step further and just named his new QB. 

Haha, all pre draft talk is so meaningless.  The Browns are probably taking a qb 1st. That said, they put this out there hoping some team offers them a monster trade.

the Browns GM is going to get so much credit.  But the Browns were set up so well this year.  If they still suck after this draft, burn that team to the ground.

I don’t think chubb is a top 5 talent. I think he’s being pushed upward due to the lack of good pass rushers in this draft and the positional value being so high. Maybe an unpopular opinion. First round, yes. Top 5, nah.

therefore I don’t think he will go to giants at 2 or Cleveland at 4. Someone will trade out of the top 5 and take him later plus accumulate picks.

Edited by YoloinOhio

19 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I think they go Allen, but I'd be okay with either.  I'm actually starting to like Allen more than I did.

I've definitely come around on him.  I think everything you look for physically is there, it's a once in a lifetime arm talent and personality wise he's a perfect fit for the team and city.

31 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I agree with this and he also wants Nelson...They key to keeping Eli around and helping Eli be effective its making sure he has a pocket to work in...

I'm sure I'm reading way too much into it, but I'm wondering if a trade to 5 or 6 is in play right now and that's why they are doing the due diligence on Baker.  Move to 5 / 6 knowing worst case Baker is secured, then work on moving to 2 with the Giants.  I think Allen is the prize they really want.

Edited by Chuck Wagon
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I think they go Allen, but I'd be okay with either.  I'm actually starting to like Allen more than I did.

I’m not an Allen fan but it’s pretty stupid to act like you know if qb will translate to the nfl.  But I think he has a great agent to build up his hype.  Personally, he’s a guy who looks like a star qb but the reality is he was slightly above average in the Mountain West Conference.  Throwing in shorts and a test shouldn’t change this IMO.