Kickoffs in the NFL Could Soon Be a Thing of the Past

On 3/28/2018 at 5:43 PM, Dr. Who said:

I think some rational efforts to protect the athletes are fine, but there's no doubt that the prevailing sensibility is just as much a cultural product of a particular ethos promoted by universities and elite culture as it is a determination of science.  Regardless, I fear it is a losing cause.  One will be treated as a regrettable dinosaur addicted to gratutious and dangerous displays of machismo.

Great post. Facts and legitimate science are being ignored to promote an agenda. The elites have made their minds up regarding the game of football. They will find whatever they can to back their preconceived notions. Grown men have the choice to abstain from playing football. Apparently we live in a culture where we need to protect grown men from their own choices. If we must eliminate the kickoff, should boxing and MMA be completely outlawed? 

On 3/29/2018 at 6:45 AM, DFT said:

CTE is caused when a hit to the head (any hit), causes the release of Tau protein into the brain.  While there are still studies being conducted on how to test (2 years ago, there was no test for living patients), brain mapping has now shown a direct correlation to the higher impact hits, where velocity develops (i.e. kickoffs, pass defense, momentum tackles).  The NFL has vastly improved the equipment over the last 5 years that minimizes smaller, more compact hits.  What is being discussed is the momentum hits, where equipment development is irrelevant due to the amount of trauma these hits deliver.  What the NFL does, is expected to ripple down across all leagues.  Right now, the concern is the growing amount of young players that are showing pre-CTE symptoms during medical testing at the combine.  What the NFL is doing about this is actually pretty amazing.  They know the risk and the impact these changes could have on earnings.  They don’t care.  They are trying to protect players.  

They don’t care about player safety imo. They simply want the mainstream media to write articles praising the safety improvements made in football. This would guarantee more suburban moms allowing their sons to play football. As a result the pipeline of potential NFL players continues. A lack of young talent due to bad press is the main concern of the NFL. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 3/29/2018 at 7:23 AM, CLTbills said:

OK, so if there is no kickoff at all, what will happen when an onside kick is needed?

I saw an interesting suggestion for replacing onside kicks. The kicking team can opt to have a 4th and 15 from their own 25. If they convert they keep the ball. If they don't the opposing team gets it from that spot on the field. That sounds way more interesting to watch than onside kicks IMO. I guess the worst part would be when a questionable DPI inevitably gives someone a free possession.

Edited by HappyDays

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I saw an interesting suggestion for replacing onside kicks. The kicking team can opt to have a 4th and 15 from their own 25. If they convert they keep the ball. If they don't the opposing team gets it from that spot on the field. That sounds way more interesting to watch than onside kicks IMO. I guess the worst part would be when a questionable DPI inevitably gives someone a free possession.

It sounds fun, but extremely cheesy. Why don’t they just play battleship to determine who gets possession of the ball? 

On 4/19/2018 at 7:05 AM, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

It sounds fun, but extremely cheesy. Why don’t they just play battleship to determine who gets possession of the ball? 

I'm more in favor of the old XFL method of determining possession. Just let two guys run at full speed at each other and duke it out!

On 4/18/2018 at 8:52 PM, HappyDays said:

This is essentially what that new football league is doing, except I think it's just a 4th and 10 for them.

"Namely, there will be no kickoffs. Teams will start with possession at their own 25-yard line. While this does eliminate onside kick attempts, teams can try to keep possession after they score. That team will be given the ball at their own 35-yard line, and will be given a fourth-and-10 to begin the “drive.” If the team converts the fourth-and-10, then the team will keep possession. If not, then the other team will gain possession."

Personally, I think the idea makes a lot of sense (though I think 4th and 15 is probably better in terms of creating similar odds to converting an onside).

Edited by DCOrange

23 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Personally, I think the idea makes a lot of sense (though I think 4th and 15 is probably better in terms of creating similar odds to converting an onside).

I saw a chart the other day which said the league-wide 4th and 15 conversion rate is around 18%. That sounds about right to me for a situation like that. The 4th and 10 conversion rate was around 35%, I personally think that's too high for a sudden death play.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

On 3/28/2018 at 2:51 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

A few years ago I posted a thread titled the Virtual Football League.  It's not that far fetched with advances in computer technology and CGI.  

This was actually a thing awhile back.  Trying to remember details, think it was on HBO.  They made a virtual league, pulling from great teams of the past...though no Bills team.  Each week a computer would simulate the games, then they spliced and edited actual footage of the teams to make game highlight clips.  Was quite creative actually, but only lasted one season.  Was a decade or two ahead of its time.

The game we all learned to love over the last 3 decades is changing so much & the players are becoming the all about me players that if they wonder why TV ratings are going down look no farther than that not to mention the fact of selling our game to other countries it won't be long & Ill be out completely due to owner & player arrogance !! 

I'd be fine removing the Free Kick.  Safeties are a rare thing and you're already rewarded 2 points for it.  Replace the Free Kick with the team scoring the safety getting 2 points and the ball on their own 40.  Free Kicks can't be kicked onside anyway.

As for kickoffs, I'd really hate to see them go.  They can be game-changers, especially onside kicks.  How many times have we watched the end of a game thinking "Team <x> is out of time outs, twenty seconds left on the clock.  They better hope for a good runback!"?  Who can forget The Music City Miracle (as much as we try. XD)?  The Bills kicking the suicide onside during The Comeback?  Kickoffs may seem trivial for most of the game, but during the last couple minutes of a game they can become critical.  There has to be a better way then just axing them.

Edited by The Red King

On 4/20/2018 at 9:39 AM, DCOrange said:

This is essentially what that new football league is doing, except I think it's just a 4th and 10 for them.

"Namely, there will be no kickoffs. Teams will start with possession at their own 25-yard line. While this does eliminate onside kick attempts, teams can try to keep possession after they score. That team will be given the ball at their own 35-yard line, and will be given a fourth-and-10 to begin the “drive.” If the team converts the fourth-and-10, then the team will keep possession. If not, then the other team will gain possession."

Don't like the " 4th and ten " idea at all. It's way too easy to get a defensive penalty that carries an automatic first.  The rules just favor the offense so damn much. A penalty on the receiving team almost never happens on onside kick attempts. It should be very hard to retain posession, which the onside kick provides. 

No need to end kickoffs. Let’s just slap flags on each hip of all players and call it a day. That’s what this game is coming to in the future anyways. Eventually all games will be like the pro bowl, completely devoid of serious hitting or tackling. The NFL is great at self-sabotage. And they wonder why ratings are down?