Saying hello and thoughts on the draft

Hello everyone.  Been reading the boards for a while and decided to sign up.  Alot of good conversations on here.

This maybe a dumb analogy but here is how a feel about this draft.  Its like saving a bunch of money for something you really want...and then when you finally have it and you see all that money its hard to let it go.

The bills have a ton of picks that can possibly enable us to move up and finally get that qb..but at the sametime the bills could add a ton of young talent if they stay put.  And it is possible that the qb they like might fall to 12...doubtful..but possible.

The problem we have is two unknowns at qb right now.  Everyday i feel i have the answer and everyday i realize i dont.

Its going to be and interesting draft thats for sure...anyway just really wanted to say hello and i look forward to some good bills talk.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Skins Malone said:

Hello everyone.  Been reading the boards for a while and decided to sign up.  Alot of good conversations on here.

This maybe a dumb analogy but here is how a feel about this draft.  Its like saving a bunch of money for something you really want...and then when you finally have it and you see all that money its hard to let it go.

The bills have a ton of picks that can possibly enable us to move up and finally get that qb..but at the sametime the bills could add a ton of young talent if they stay put.  And it is possible that the qb they like might fall to 12...doubtful..but possible.

The problem we have is two unknowns at qb right now.  Everyday i feel i have the answer and everyday i realize i dont.

Its going to be and interesting draft thats for sure...anyway just really wanted to say hello and i look forward to some good bills talk.

Welcome Skins.

I say, spend the money.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Skins Malone said:

Hello Skins. It isn't a dumb analogy.

Welcome to you.

Thank you guys!  I enjoy the speculation as well billsforlife.   At least the bills are in a good position to do what they feel is the right move.  For the first time in a long time i have faith the front office will make a good decision whatever it maybe.

Edited by Skins Malone
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Skins Malone said:

Welcome Skins,you sound like a season ticket holder?

Makes sense to me.  Beane and McD could build an elite defense in this draft if they don’t trade up and hit on the top 6 picks.  I’d prefer the trade up but if we stay at 12 or trade down, I’d be eager to see what they could put together with all those picks 

the Vikings built an elite defense and was considered the favorites with case Keenum as their QB.  Not to say mccarron (or whichever an we draft) will replicate was Keenum did, but I don’t think it’s that far fetched that either could be as good if not better than keenum

Edited by NewEra

20 minutes ago, Skins Malone said:

Very good analogy. As I've mentioned many times before - I think this very issue splits folks.

Me, I've looked at everything as a cache of picks for ammo to go get the guy you wanted.  When we made the move last year everyone immediately started saying 2 1st rd picks will allow them to move to get who they want. My counter was if there is a guy worth getting - why would xx team trade that for 2 1st rd picks. So, I guess I've always thought it would be more. 

Conversely,  some people have fallen in love w the amount of picks and want to fill out the roster. 

I get it, but we have wasted so many good rosters over the years bc we were a qb short.

An interesting 3rd group was all in on a trade following the hype of getting to 12. The combo of the Indy trade and the time lapse with no move seems to have brought some former trade up people over to the dark side of staying pat.

Even then as I said in another thread.. if Rosen is their guy AND he falls to 6 maybe the patience pays off. Maybe Allen is their guy AND they give it all up to go to 2 and get him. That would throw a wrench in things as well. Maybe it's best to let it play out and judge then. I guess none of it really matters anyway as we aren't in control of these assets. We shall see...

Well the additions in free agency do you think the bills could draft move on the offensive side than people think?

9 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Welcome Skins,you sound like a season ticket holder?

Lol.  I wish i was.  Cant afford it at the moment.  I try to make it out at least a couple times a year

Hello skins it sure has been a stressful off season for all of us Bills fans. Let's hope that they finally get it right and get us a good quarterback looking forward to a productive 2019 season. I come to Buffalo every year for the season opener I hope it's against the Patriots this year. I like the Sabres also but I really don't follow them much but I see they are in line for the number one draft pick is there any really good prospects coming out this year that I should be excited about?

Edited by PIP

5 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

The OP did make a good analogy but the QB over all crowd keeps wanting to spend at stores that are closed for the season.

This is the tragic truth of the situation.

We mowed lawns all summer, we traded away our favorite baseball cards, we saved all our pennies... only to get to the store to find they're sold out and not making any more.

Bills.

• Sad 1

Welcome Skins! 

Count me in the camp that wants to get our franchise QB that has eluded us for decades.  I do like your analogy, and this topic is probably the most divisive besides "who do you want as QB?".  I'm glad I'm not McBeane, and such an important decision, arguably one of the most important decisions in the franchise's history, doesn't rest on my shoulders.  I've got tunnel vision now, and it's really hard for me to process the fact that yes, we DO have a butt-ton of draft picks that if kept could possibly yield up to as many as 7 or 8 starters, especially considering how McDermott NAILED last year's draft.  Throw in Beane and boy oh boy the possibilities are endless.  You see, I can say all of that, yet if I was the GM, I would've ALREADY given the Giants whatever their asking price was and we would right now be sitting with the number 2 pick, with a few draft pick trinkets left to snag players at positions of need, hoping they can at least contribute on special teams.

Regardless of the camp you're in, when this draft is over, with my faith in the leadership we have in place, I can say we will either have our franchise QB of the future we've been waiting for, or a plethora of players that we expect to start day one.  

13 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This is the tragic truth of the situation.

We mowed lawns all summer, we traded away our favorite baseball cards, we saved all our pennies... only to get to the store to find they're sold out and not making any more.

Bills.

Another excellent analogy....and dear God I pray that you are wrong.  I don't know if my heart will be able to recover from this one, and I'm one of the most optimistic people I know! 

4 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

Another excellent analogy....and dear God I pray that you are wrong.  I don't know if my heart will be able to recover from this one, and I'm one of the most optimistic people I know! 

All we can hope for is that our buddy from class who got there early is willing to let us trade spots in line. Or all that work was for nothing.

24 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

The OP did make a good analogy but the QB over all crowd keeps wanting to spend at stores that are closed for the season.

Or maybe.....JUST maybe....

The stores exterior lights are turned off, but the lights inside are on.  The owner is inside, in plain view, sweeping the floor.  I go up to the front doors, see the owner sweeping, and I knock on the glass.  The owner briefly looks up at me, sees me standing there, continues sweeping and says briskly, "we're closed".  I say, "please sir, I got here as fast as I could, I already know what I want."  The owner looks at me again, sees me standing there, looking pitiful, about to cry....he shakes his head no, but begins walking toward the door.  Through the glass he says, "I don't reopen my doors once I've closed, DON'T make this a habit you hear me?"  "Yes sir, I quickly reply, thank you SO much!"  "What do you want?"  "Can I please get the number 2 pick?"  "Fine. Both 1sts, both 2nds, a 3rd, next years 1st."  "Sir, I swear to you I have saved  ALL summer, plus some from last year, and all I have to my name is..."  The owner abruptly cuts me off and says "Now see THIS is the reason I don't do this!! Now either give me what I asked for or get the hell out of here!!"

And with the 2nd pick in the NFL draft, the Buffalo Bills select, Josh Rosen, quarterback, University of California Los Angeles. ☺

Last year, Houston got DeShawn Watson with the 12th pick in the draft.  Why, in a deeper QB draft, is it so far-fetched that the Bills could land their franchise QB without trading up again?

Hi Skins.  Welcome.  I wouldn't say I'm unwilling to let go of the money, but I am very wary of spending it on the wrong QB.  Personally, I don't think the first three picks of the draft are for sale.  The Jets are not trading away the pick they just overpaid to obtain.  I think Cleveland wants to pick one of the top QBs.  There are reports that both Cleveland and the Giants like the same QB.  There is also a report that Cleveland actually likes Josh Allen and is bluffing about their preference of Darnold to get the Giants to trade up.  The Giants, for their part are making noise about liking other players who don't play QB.  Their owner was just quoted as saying #2 is not too high to draft a running back.  That does not mean that a trade up to #2 is impossible.  I will just be very difficult and very expensive.  

So, say Buffalo contemplates trading up, but not to #2.  At least 2 of the top QBs will be gone by the time Cleveland is on the clock at #4.  It's entirely possible three QBs will be off the board by then.  I think it's highly likely that Darnold will be gone, and almost as probable that Josh Allen will be gone.  Beyond that, who knows.  There is no consensus and no reliable leaked information about the intentions of the Jets.  Some have them liking Allen, some Rosen and some Mayfield.   Not only do we not know the position that these players occupy on the Bills' draft board, we don't know how closely they are valued by the Bills.  Are they all real close in Beane's mind, at least in terms of draft value?  Or is one far more highly rated than the others?  Are they all that much more highly rated than the next QBs on Buffalo's board?  Depending on the answers to those questions, Buffalo may try to have a conditional trade in place, but I don't really believe they will pull the trigger until draft night.

I just want the Bills to be as sure as humanly possible they are making the right move, especially if they're giving up that valuable draft capital to make a big move up.  If they do, I will absolutely support them in it, but they'd better be right.