Trent Murphy and Star Lutulelei listed among worst free agent deals of 2018 - Per Gregg Rosenthal of NFL.com

15 minutes ago, MTBill said:

Take my opinion for what it's worth (0.02) - but I happen to agree that these contracts seemed a bit rich to me too given that they both have had some injury issues which may not be all healed.  We seem to be the infirmary with our signings this offseason.

Star's contract in particular seems high - I don't think Murphy's is horrible.  That said, you also have to pay what the market bears.  Now that we have Cousins getting a fully guaranteed contract - contracts are going to be more player friendly.  That is the market now.  We may look back in a couple years and see that we got a steal.

I don't dislike any of the actual signings - presuming they play 16 games.  We've seemingly been plagued by FA/trade injuries - Gaines, Benjamin, Matthews, Vontae, ...  Maybe the new strength/conditioning staff will have a magic wand.

They wanted these guys so they had to overpay, just like most teams had to overpay on the first day.  Trust the process. 

• Like (+1) 1

For every knucklehead saying these moves were crap there are two or three other writers praising the moves, so it's just all subjective. I personally think the moves are fine. McDermott places a huge emphasis on solid DL play and he wants plenty of depth so he can rotate players and keep them fresh. They have Hughes/Murphy, Lawson/Yarborough, Lotulelei/Williams, etc. That's not too shabby right now. Upgrades are needed behind those guys, though (to clarify, I'm talking about the linebackers, not more DL depth although I'm sure they will add several more DL before camp).

That's why this draft is so important. As it stands now they could come away with five picks taken within the first 65 selections (and 6 within the first 95 picks). I think Peter King or Albert Breer wrote yesterday that they've heard from numerous teams/sources that all 32 teams have, on average, about 70 players rated as starters coming out in this draft. They can fill a lot of spots with picks 12, 22, 53, 56 and 65. 

So do they decide to make the jump or do they use this draft to add five potential starters and let McCarron take the reins for 2018? If they can swing a trade with NYG, I hope it's one that still leaves them with at least one pick in rounds 1-4 for this year.

April 26th needs to hurry it up and get here. That whole weekend is a football/Marvel fans dream, the draft plus Infinity War. I might take a few days off the ol' job and turn it into a nice little 4 or 5 day weekend.

Edited by blacklabel

38 minutes ago, Doc said:

They wanted these guys so they had to overpay, just like most teams had to overpay on the first day.  Trust the process. 

They didn't have to "overpay" - but they did have to pay.  I do trust the process - and I do like these players...  My point is we maybe paid more than the market for Star.  I think 7M/year on Murphy is probably market.

You do bring up a very good point though that the 1st day is when you are paying more - because you have no vision for what the market is seeing as no other deals are public yet.

17 minutes ago, MTBill said:

They didn't have to "overpay" - but they did have to pay.  I do trust the process - and I do like these players...  My point is we maybe paid more than the market for Star.  I think 7M/year on Murphy is probably market.

You do bring up a very good point though that the 1st day is when you are paying more - because you have no vision for what the market is seeing as no other deals are public yet.

True "overpay" is a relative term.  Might have just been the going rate.  I guess we'll never know.

So far it is a far criticism to say Beane has overpaid his FA signings. Could be he is afraid of losing them but he let Davis walk out of the building and still got him signed.

Is this the premium that has to be paid to attract players to Buffalo? Not sure.

It just puts more pressure to hit on the draft and makes it more likely than not they need to trade down at least once to get more picks.

The two o-lineman they signed are borderline starters but not upgrades.  The signings let Beane trade up for a QB and use the rest of the draft on the front 7. That leaves WR and TE as the biggest holes on the team if they can get two quality linebackers in second and third rounds.

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

The guy says Dareus is better than Loto, which may be true but does not account for all the behavioral issues he had.

Journalism was so much better when the Internet did not exist and any guy with access to a keyboard can spout whatever he wants.

This tool just ignores Dareus's embarrassing attitude and work ethic. This writer probably admired Haynesworth too. Ignore this banter.

2 hours ago, taglientep said:

Didnt they say Hyde and Poyer were terrible signings last year too

Yes, nobody but McD got that signing right. He was the better safety in the second half of the season. Therefore, I’ll trust McD on Star. 

As others suggest, Murphy will depend on his health. 

Edited by TPS
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I look at the Star contract as a re-signing. McDermott and Beans essentially drafted and developed him, and they overpaid him a little to keep him from hitting free agency. That's the only contract I've seen them give that I would consider overpayment. It's nothing to freak out about.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I disagree on Murphy.  The contract the Bills did with him is a very good one.  He is basically guaranteed his 2018 money and is a nice fit for the scheme.  They can get out after 2018 with limited dead money and then some 2019 money guarantees if he makes the team.  Looking at it as a $22.5m contract will give you a warped picture of the reality.  

On Star I have more sympathy for the view that the Bills overpaid for an average player.  I think they did.  He knows the scheme, they were desperate at D Tackle after they traded Dareus and it became a perfect storm that Star has taken advantage of to get a big deal.  

Kuelchy loved star, said he gave him a ton of room to work as a LB, so I'm hoping his "numbers" aren't all he brings to the table, but more what you don't see, like eating blocks.

4 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Today's journalism is a collection of tweets strung together .  

So copy-paste?

4 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Per Rosenthal on NFL.com.  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000922026/article/worst-freeagency-deals-case-keenum-jordy-nelson-overpriced

As a side note it is amazing how thin “journalism” is today.  This “news article” probably took a a total of 20 minutes to put together.  The only facts in it would be easily discovered.  This is simply yet another opinion piece, like much of the rest of the B.S. you find out on the internet.  

Cant argue with either actually 

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

This tool just ignores Dareus's embarrassing attitude and work ethic. This writer probably "admired Haynesworth too. Ignore this banter.

No - when we signed Dareus they all said those things. And just like this board everyone said they are just haters and dont know jack. 

38 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I look at the Star contract as a re-signing. McDermott and Beans essentially drafted and developed him, and they overpaid him a little to keep him from hitting free agency. That's the only contract I've seen them give that I would consider overpayment. It's nothing to freak out about.

Didnt like the Ivory signing.