The Bills aren't showing they're desperate for a QB

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

But they are taking a necessary risk.

As has been talked about numerous times before, the QB makes all the difference. 

The Browns have had loads of draft picks over the years and done absolutely nothing with them because they ignored the one position that can turn your franchise around in QB.

The Bills have drafted well throughout the drought but ignored the QB position year in and year out. Where did it get them?

Even if the Bills keep their picks, don't draft a QB and hit on every one of the picks on other positions, it won't matter if McCarron sucks. The Bills will continue to wallow around .500 and McBeane will be looking for new jobs two years from now.

This is ridiculous.  The Browns have ignored the position?  Couch, Kiser, Manziel, Kessler.  al they've done is try to find a QB.  What the Browns are is testimony to how bad things get when you pick the wrong QB.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

I'm not exactly sure why. They ended up getting AJ McCarron on the cheap. They stayed away from big money free agency. They allowed a division rival to trade up for a franchise QB. 

The question is why? 

You never want to negotiate from a position of desperation. Still, they " allowed" a division rival to move up? That division rival was already ahead of them in the draft order.The Bills had no way to stop it.  The Jets were in a much stronger position, and knew the Bills wanted the #3 pick. The Colts leveraged the Bills interest to fleece the Jets. They moved back a mere 3 spots and received 3 picks in the process. The  Bills only chance was if the Jets refused . But the Jets were desperate, and ponied up the ransom. It was a genius move by Ballard, because he knows there could be several teams still willing to move up for a QB. At 6 , he's in a pretty strong position to move down again and get even more picks. That option doesn't exist if he takes the Bills pick at 12. He may eventually get there, but not before he gets picks from both the Jets AND the Bills. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

But they are taking a necessary risk.

As has been talked about numerous times before, the QB makes all the difference. 

The Browns have had loads of draft picks over the years and done absolutely nothing with them because they ignored the one position that can turn your franchise around in QB.

The Bills have drafted well throughout the drought but ignored the QB position year in and year out. Where did it get them?

Even if the Bills keep their picks, don't draft a QB and hit on every one of the picks on other positions, it won't matter if McCarron sucks. The Bills will continue to wallow around .500 and McBeane will be looking for new jobs two years from now.

Disagree.  The Bills would have posted better had they not gambled on McCargo, Maybin, over drafting on Whitner, etc. Then there was darned if you do and darned if you do not choices in Mike Williams and Eric Flowers.  The decade of darkness was ladened with top picked players that did not work out.  

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Fair point and it makes sense. Nate Peterman's grade was in that 5.7 range as well. This amounts to backup/possible average to below average starter. Once you get over the six, there is some more potential. 

To me, if you aren't getting Darnold, Rosen, or Allen...I'd roll with McCarron

I'd very much agree; I think that Lamar is in play as well, but not with anything more than a second round pick. And that's a push. 

I think if we move up at all, it should be to take that #22 and get closer to 15, and move that #12 to #8. I'd rather leave this draft with knowing I surely got two potential Pro Bowl players. It sure looks to me that players like Price, Orlando Brown, PSU WR Hamilton,  QBs like White, Falk & such ... there are going to be there in the 4th, 5th, 6th rounds. 

Get at least one if not two guys that are near sure-fire, Pro Bowl players in the 1st round and don't f around. If that means busting a move on two generational players (Nelson and Roquan Smith, for instance), then do it. Use future draft capital, move Jerry Hughes. 

LOL. That's what I think this day. Give me til after lunch and check back then!

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ALF said:

If the Giants want to rebuild around Eli they will move down to the highest bidder. The Bills at 12 and 22 have to be looking good for them.

I would think 3 QBs go then the Browns trade down from #4 and get a LT to replace Joe Thomas and more. Barkley would be nice at 4 but they have more needs to rebuild . 

So the Bills might have a chance at #2 and #4

Gettleman seemed high on Eli when he was given the job.  Sounded as if he had a good two years left.  He said he just needed help.  They are also sparse on overall talent.

Considering the Giants were SB favorites last year before it all unraveled, Gettleman seems like someone that is more inclined to find Eli help than his replacement.

If they get the best OT in the draft that can start the next 10-12 years, that's a win/win for them now and in the future.  So I can see them trading back, even to 12 and 22, and drafting and OL plus another position of need.  

I think right now Beane is just feeling out both the Browns and Giants.  Both are more than one player away, and both need what the Bills have....which are high draft picks.

5 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

I get what people are saying, but when you trade away Tyrod Taylor and are left with Peterman you would think there was a plan to add a legit starting QB. Instead they let everyone else sign QB's and got the backup with upside on the cheap. 

This offseason was going well until they failed to get a starting QB. The Bills didn't have the guts to pull the trigger on anything. Visions of Darcy Regier for the Sabres. 

One needs not look much further than your screen name to know that you believe that you have some sort of special insight into things that others aren't capable of perceiving. I would suggest that in this case you are not capable of perceiving the GM's goals and motives. Is it possible the goal in adding McCarron was to sign the one QB who has shown upside, but doesn't have a huge sample of work indicating that their good season last year was anything other than an aberration? Is it possible Beane knew he would be able to sign this QB for .25 cents on the dollar for what those other QBs went for? I suggest rather than freaking out weeks before the draft even starts, we maintain a modicum of poise and allow the front office to actually do their jobs. I'll start complaining about failure after the draft is over. Until then, we're just freaking out for the sake of it. 

Edited by ndirish1978
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Tyrod's friend said:

You could see it that way; or this:

There was hardly any difference out of college between a guy that has been given a $27MM contract, a guy that is on our roster right now, and a QB very, very likely to fall to us at 12. 

I'm reminded of the saying, "Don't just do something. Sit there."

Or another saying "Don't do something, just to do something" this is what a lot of posters want the Bills to do.  

• Like (+1) 1