Is Jerry Hughes worth a swap of ones with Tampa Bay?

njbuff

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

If they can get second round value for Shaq........you absolutely gotta'.

Overcoming that first step and turning into someone worth committing to that fifth year option next offseason and/or extending seems highly unlikely from 2 years of tape.

Run stopping 4-3 DE market is usually PURDY CHEAP in FA.

He could actually improve and only be worth a 6th or 7th rounder in trade next season because of the contract status.........at least he may still have some original draft day shine left on him at the moment.    I don't think TB would bite but let's hope so.:thumbsup:

I don’t think that they would either but they are bad at the position (and it is thin in the draft). Maybe they say, “we can get a starter that has some upside” and only slide down 5 spots? 

I'm not in favor of getting rid of Hughes BUT Beane may need to make another move closer to 2 or 3 to seal the deal with NYG or IND.

We don't know what the options are but a move to 7 or 8 might need to happen first.

Both IND and NYG may not want to trade down as far as #12.

Maybe Beane has to use one of our 2nd's to get up there?

It's not about what we want on TSW it's about what NYG and IND want.

42 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

There is no benefit whatsoever to them implying they may want to move on from them.     That vote of confidence is equal to the vote of confidence for TT.   Could be,  but there is reason to believe otherwise.   Shaq was reportedly in McD doghouse at some point last season and failed to be available down the stretch.

Either way, McD is big on having plenty of DL for his rotations. DL is a major point of emphasis for this team going forward. Trading away one or both of your top two DEs doesn't make a whole lot of sense especially after they just went and paid good money for a big, space-eating DT that should help DEs get more 1-on-1 opportunities. 

7 hours ago, cage said:

Anyone who follows Joe Buscaglia's weekly film study articles see that Hughes was the highest ranked player all year long.  Our best player.  Maddening when people just look at the top line tackle and sack numbers and then dismissively declare we should dump him.

https://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/2017-buffalo-bills-all-22-in-review-defensive-ends

Preach on! He had 45 freaking pressures - fifth in the NFL. Too many people don't know squat about his play. 

7 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Preach on! He had 45 freaking pressures - fifth in the NFL. Too many people don't know squat about his play. 

Thank you, it is not worth creating another big hole to save a handful of millions in cap.

Hughes is a good DE that the Bill's need to keep.

• Like (+1) 1

More on Hughes:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2751016-nfl1000-ranking-the-top-4-3-defensive-ends-from-2017-season

"13. Jerry Hughes, Buffalo Bills

Pass Rush: 23/30
Run Defense: 15/20
Snap Quickness: 14/20
Tackling: 14/20
Position Value: 8/10
Overall Grade: 74/100

Jerry Hughes is one of the best speed/bend pass-rushers in the sport. After playing as a 3-4 outside linebacker for Rex Ryan, Hughes transitioned back to a full-time pass-rusher role as a 4-3 defensive end for Sean McDermott. With Lorenzo Alexander's move from 3-4 outside linebacker to 4-3 outside linebacker, Hughes had to be "the guy" for Buffalo this season. With little to no holes in his game, he should be considered an above-average starter for the position."

He finished fifth in the league in qb pressures with 45 in 2017 and had his best graded game as a Bill ever in the final game this past season:

http://buffalonews.com/2018/01/02/advanced-stats-jerry-hughes-erupts-for-bills-against-backup-left-tackle-vs-dolphins/

He finished 9th in pressures in 2016 too:

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/defensive-hurries/2016/

If we truly have our eyes on Rosen we will need to move up in the draft. We have been stockpiling FA DEs with Trent and Owu. I would send either Hughes or Lawson to move up and get in an even better position to draft. Lawson isn't the pass rusher I thought he could be but is still solid at setting the edge which has value.

I love Hughes and all, but who cares and how much does it really matter if we keep our 1st rounder next year? Honestly he isn't the player that is going to make or break a Superbowl for us this upcoming season. Maybe, at best, he wins us 1 game next year - meh...go get your QB. He is on the wrong side of 30...Thanks for the plays, flags and for being better than Kelvin Sheppard....

10 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I love Hughes and all, but who cares and how much does it really matter if we keep our 1st rounder next year? Honestly he isn't the player that is going to make or break a Superbowl for us this upcoming season. Maybe, at best, he wins us 1 game next year - meh...go get your QB. He is on the wrong side of 30...Thanks for the plays, flags and for being better than Kelvin Sheppard....

The Bills have to play defense too, and to play defense effectively you have to pressure the passer. The most important positions on a team are QB, pass rushing DE, CB, and LT. Hughes is the best pass rusher on the team and one of the better ones in the league judging from his production. Getting rid of Hughes isn't addition by subtraction; it's subtraction by subtraction. 

And he in fact won us a game last year that we had no business winning:

Edited by dave mcbride

58 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The Bills have to play defense too, and to play defense effectively you have to pressure the passer. The most important positions on a team are QB, pass rushing DE, CB, and LT. Hughes is the best pass rusher on the team and one of the better ones in the league judging from his production. Getting rid of Hughes isn't addition by subtraction; it's subtraction by subtraction. 

I don't disagree with any of this by the way....

We have so many holes that aren't going to be filled this year anyways; if Lawson isn't enough to move up and Hughes can allow us to; do it by all means. Yeah it will hurt, but not as much as missing out on a QB...the most important position of them all is QB...

Edit:

58 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

And he in fact won us a game last year that we had no business winning:

I did say maybe, at best, he wins us 1 game B-):lol:

Edited by Reed83HOF

Just now, Reed83HOF said:

I don't disagree with any of this by the way....

We have so many holes that aren't going to be filled this year anyways; if Lawson isn't enough to move up and Hughes can allow us to; do it by all means. Yeah it will hurt, but not as much as missing out on a QB...the most important position of them all is QB...

I firmly believe that they have all the draft ammo they need to move up and grab the qb they want. No need to subtract your best pass rusher to do it. A lot of DEs have had their best seasons in their 30-33 years, btw - they've learned all the tricks of the trade by then.

If Hughes can be converted into an asset that is valuable to us, long term, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Hughes' playing window is going to close before we are going to emerge from this as a strong team, assuming we ever do.

It's like that 3 year (?) or so run-up to the Bills going to their first Superbowl in January 1991.  

We could all see we were good and going to be better, but it just took some time.  I'm thinking of the Cleveland game in particular and the Ronny Harmon drop...

By the time we could really benefit from a good Hughes, he won't be good anymore or even on the team.

So use him as a piece to get a future asset now! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

If Hughes can be converted into an asset that is valuable to us, long term, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Hughes' playing window is going to close before we are going to emerge from this as a strong team, assuming we ever do.

It's like that 3 year (?) or so run-up to the Bills going to their first Superbowl in January 1991.  

We could all see we were good and going to be better, but it just took some time.  I'm thinking of the Cleveland game in particular and the Ronny Harmon drop...

By the time we could really benefit from a good Hughes, he won't be good anymore or even on the team.

So use him as a piece to get a future asset now! 

The Bills made the playoffs last season. The object is to improve on 9-7, not go backward.

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I firmly believe that they have all the draft ammo they need to move up and grab the qb they want. No need to subtract your best pass rusher to do it. A lot of DEs have had their best seasons in their 30-33 years, btw - they've learned all the tricks of the trade by then.

Again I don't disagree. In keeping with the spirit of this thread, if that is what it took, yup :) 

I also think we have enough ammo to move up, besides Cleveland we have the most amount of ammo. I do think you run into some potential issues with our ammo though:

1.) The Jets are little scary though, because I still think 6>>(12+22) to NYG, when I have a strong hunch they want Quenten Nelson if Barkley is not there.

2.) Indy may prefer to have 12 & 22 though. They need many, many players...

3.) Not sure CLE also wants 12 & 22, since they could use another big impact player, much like NYG I think 7 would be a more comfortable swap with them. 

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The Bills made the playoffs last season. The object is to improve on 9-7, not go backward.

We made the playoffs because Cin won a game. The difference between 7-9 & 9-7 doesn't do much for us right now, we still have plenty of holes. To be a bit provocative; I would rather have Glenn over Hughes so we could get rid of Mills and not get our rookie QB killed by that turnstile...

3 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Again I don't disagree. In keeping with the spirit of this thread, if that is what it took, yup :) 

I also think we have enough ammo to move up, besides Cleveland we have the most amount of ammo. I do think you run into some potential issues with our ammo though:

1.) The Jets are little scary though, because I still think 6>>(12+22) to NYG, when I have a strong hunch they want Quenten Nelson if Barkley is not there.

2.) Indy may prefer to have 12 & 22 though. They need many, many players...

3.) Not sure CLE also wants 12 & 22, since they could use another big impact player, much like NYG I think 7 would be a more comfortable swap with them. 

I'm worried about the Jets too.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, nucci said:

How?

Consider the poster you're speaking to - 100% troll. 

7 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Make it Lawson and you have a deal

He's not worth a 2nd rd pick. That said, if Beane found a way to trade a player to move up that high in the first he would be a legend in my mind. Imagine getting a franchise QB and drafting a sick LB in the first AND having both of our second rounders? Zero chance it happens if we move up IMO, but man that would be a crazy draft.