Does Shaq Lawson for Martavius Bryant make sense?

njbuff

4 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

I think Lawson has a lot of potential...he's on hi rookie contract and he could break out this year. No reason to give up on him yet.

The main reason to give up on him is that *someone* around the NFL still may not have given up on him...........so he could potentially have some kind of value.

The main reasons I think it could happen though are his sorry game tape last year.......he got 4 vulture sacks and YET somehow only touched a live QB a couple times the entire season........his injury history,  two straight years spent a lot of time on the shelf and shoulder STILL in a sling 18 months post surgery to repair it.........and the report that McD disciplined him........which is more than it took for Cordy Glenn to get shown the door. 

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The main reason to give up on him is that *someone* around the NFL still may not have given up on him...........so he could potentially have some kind of value.

The main reasons I think it could happen though are his sorry game tape last year.......he got 4 vulture sacks and YET somehow only touched a live QB a couple times the entire season........his injury history,  two straight years spent a lot of time on the shelf and shoulder STILL in a sling 18 months post surgery to repair it.........and the report that McD disciplined him........which is more than it took for Cordy Glenn to get shown the door. 

Ya but someone wanted Cordy.....mind boggling I know but he was wanted.  Everything you say makes me think that Shaq's "want factor" is pretty low right now.

4 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

Ya but someone wanted Cordy.....mind boggling I know but he was wanted.  Everything you say makes me think that Shaq's "want factor" is pretty low right now.

It's a very poor draft and FA year for DE/pass rush much like it was a poor year for LT's.      If you find someone who was hot for him on draft day........perhaps some of that feeling lingers.

55 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's a very poor draft and FA year for DE/pass rush much like it was a poor year for LT's.      If you find someone who was hot for him on draft day........perhaps some of that feeling lingers.

Perhaps.....signing Kyle will take some of the sting of his departure away for sure....

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

Does it make sense for the Steelers?

Does it make sense for the Bills?

What do you guys think?

If I am the Bills I would do it, but at this point I think that Bryant has a lot more value as Shaq (while still promising being he's played so little) hasn't shown enough on the field in his young career.  There is still a question mark on him where as Bryant has had more success on the field.  

So if I was the Steelers and was going to trade him, I think I would prefer a draft pick over Shaq.  Although, if they were high on Shaq in the draft, they may still hold him in a higher regard, then in that case I guess it would make sense.  

2 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Makes sense for Buffalo. Pittsburgh may laugh and hang up the phone.

I think Pittsburgh would consider it.  Lawson may be a better fit for their scheme.  And Bryant is gone after his contract is up.  

Just now, RyanC883 said:

I think Pittsburgh would consider it.  Lawson may be a better fit for their scheme.  And Bryant is gone after his contract is up.  

How is he a better fit? He was drafted and converted in Rex's 3-4. He back to playing his normal position here from what I understand.

With the way the WR market is going, if Bryant hits FA next year he will make some serious money. They will get something nice comp pick wise. They have no reason to ship him for peanuts.

Just now, No Place To Hyde said:

How is he a better fit? He was drafted and converted in Rex's 3-4. He back to playing his normal position here from what I understand.

With the way the WR market is going, if Bryant hits FA next year he will make some serious money. They will get something nice comp pick wise. They have no reason to ship him for peanuts.

I thought he looked better in the 3-4.  His "normal position" last year was underwhelming.  

Good point about the Steelers and Bryant in FA.  We basically get a one year rental for Shaq.  Not sure I like that.  

3 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I thought he looked better in the 3-4.  His "normal position" last year was underwhelming.  

Good point about the Steelers and Bryant in FA.  We basically get a one year rental for Shaq.  Not sure I like that.  

He was underwhelming on the stat sheet but he's not a pass rusher. He did fine setting the edge on the outside. I'd like to see him add a bit of weight. 

Honestly I would love this trade, even though I don't think it would be realistic for the Steelers. We would get a 1 year look to see if he's got his head on straight...if not we let him walk and get a comp pick for us. It's win/win. I think that perspective 3rd or 4th round pick is more of a gain for the Steelers then Lawson would be. Just my opinion of course.

2 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

He was underwhelming on the stat sheet but he's not a pass rusher. He did fine setting the edge on the outside. I'd like to see him add a bit of weight. 

Honestly I would love this trade, even though I don't think it would be realistic for the Steelers. We would get a 1 year look to see if he's got his head on straight...if not we let him walk and get a comp pick for us. It's win/win. I think that perspective 3rd or 4th round pick is more of a gain for the Steelers then Lawson would be. Just my opinion of course.

The Steelers are very short on draft picks this year,  I think they are motivated.........all GM's love those draft picks.

Love to get it done for a 4th but the #96 they got for Darby might be the sweet spot.

Somebody else might offer a 3rd but if teams are hung up on not going higher than a 4th that #96 looks very good and it's otherwise the kind of pick you get a John Miller or Adolphus Washington with.......worth very little in trade-up......and the difference between the player you get at #96 versus, say #110 is not much different.