Johnny Manziel

Teddy Bridgewater

2013: no one.

2012:

Washington gave up the farm for RG3.

2011: nobody.

2010: nobody.

2009:

Tampa Bay traded to #17 for Josh Freeman.

2008: Nobody

So out of the 9 QBs taken:

33% have been great.

(Wentz, Goff, Watson)

44% have been busts.

(Freeman, RG3, Trubisky, Manziel)

22% the jury is still out on.

(Bridgewater, Mahomes)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, The Bills Blog said:

My initial reaction is that I don't think it's fair to call Trubisky a bust at this point.

Well, let me put it this way, do you think Chicago would make the same trade today that they did a year ago for Trubisky?

Edited by NewDayBills
  • Haha (+1) 1

How can you label Trubisky a bust after 12 games?  He had a typical rookie season.  The jury is still out on Watson as well as RG3 had a great rookie year before the injury in the playoffs.  This is the best draft class since '04 and we're fools if we don't move up and draft one in the top 5 given the capital we have.

3 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Well, let me put it this way, do you think Chicago would make the same trade today that they did a year ago for Trubisky?

No.  They'd of moved up for Watson and we would of stayed at #10 and drafted Watson if we had to do it again.  Hindsight is 50/50 though.

• Like (+1) 5

Its a QB driven league and teams know this. You either stink up the league to get your franchise worthy QB pick or you gut and trade to get your franchise worthy QB pick, eitherway without one your just not good enough. A good run team will go all in on getting one or your team forever rides the there is always next year talk wishing for a miracle out of a QB not talented enough to get the job done. A franchise worthy QB is truly the only way to have that championship team every season, it is like the lottery if you do not invest in a ticket you will never win.

22 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

How can you label Trubisky a bust after 12 games?  He had a typical rookie season.  The jury is still out on Watson as well as RG3 had a great rookie year before the injury in the playoffs.  This is the best draft class since '04 and we're fools if we don't move up and draft one in the top 5 given the capital we have.

No.  They'd of moved up for Watson and we would of stayed at #10 and drafted Watson if we had to do it again.  Hindsight is 50/50 though.

Excellent post Doc

• Like (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Out of the teams that traded up for 1st round QBs in the past 10 years:

2017:

Chicago for Mitchell Trubisky

Kansas City for Patrick Mahomes

Houston for Deshaun Watson

2016:

Los Angeles for Jared Goff

Philadelphia for Carson Wentz

2015: no one.

2014:

Johnny Manziel

Teddy Bridgewater

2012:

2009:

33% have been great.

(Wentz, Goff, Watson)

44% have been busts.

(Bridgewater, Mahomes)

Goff would have been a bust after 1 year in your eyes too then, right? Give Trubisky time...and talent around him. 

Watson I'd say the jury is definitely still out on. He was great at first...so was RGIII. Then...injury. Let's see who he is coming back and with a bit more time in the league. 

Edited by No Place To Hyde
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Calling Wertz, Goff and Watson great is also a stretch at this point.  It’s very early in their careers.

Well, take Goff, Wentz and Watson off the list then, which makes my reasoning behind this thread even more meaningful. Fans want to trade the farm for a QB when the odds of landing a franchise guy is 33% at best.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Foxx said:

your right. lets just continue to do the things we have done for the last 17 years because they have worked so very well.

When is the last time we've had this many picks? We can literally load up and build a powerhouse. Trading that away for nothing, why do it? I could see moving up 8-10 spots because that would not put a dent in our capital, but moving in the top 10 like some want is irresponsible.

2 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

When is the last time we've had this many picks? We can literally load up and build a powerhouse. Trading that away for nothing, why do it? I could see moving up 8-10 spots because that would not put a dent in our capital, but moving in the top 10 like some want is irresponsible.

im sure you know the definition of insanity.

continuing to do what you have always done and expecting different results......

49 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Goff was terrible his rookie year, wentz wasnt exactly tearing it up either

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewDayBills said:

Out of the teams that traded up for 1st round QBs in the past 10 years:

2017:

Chicago for Mitchell Trubisky

Kansas City for Patrick Mahomes

Houston for Deshaun Watson

2016:

Los Angeles for Jared Goff

Philadelphia for Carson Wentz

2015: no one.

2014:

Johnny Manziel

Teddy Bridgewater

2012:

2009:

33% have been great.

(Wentz, Goff, Watson)

44% have been busts.

(Bridgewater, Mahomes)

Trubisky is already a bust? Maybe you could give him a little more time???

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Foxx said:

im sure you know the definition of insanity.

continuing to do what you have always done and expecting different results......

I've shown you statistics that provide examples as to what other teams have done. Why not learn from the mistakes of other people so you don't make the same mistakes yourself?

33% chance at best to find a franchise QB if we trade the farm for to get into the top 5.

Or we could take those 5 picks in the top 65 selections and build our own version of the Legion of Boom.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, NewDayBills said:

I've shown you statistics that provide examples as to what other teams have done. Why not learn from the mistakes of other people so you don't make the same mistakes yourself?

33% chance at best to find a franchise QB if we trade the farm for to get into the top 5.

Or we could take those 5 picks in the top 65 selections and build our own version of the Legion of Boom.

Or those 5 picks could turn out to be non-impact players.  

• Like (+1) 1