Aaron Curry - 2009 #4 Overall Draft Bust

9 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

The story is from SI last year, but a good read as the draft is a month or so away...

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/03/14/nfl-draft-bust-aaron-curry-unc-charlotte

Prime example of why they had to stop paying first round picks like superstars.

Curry lost motivation with that mega-fat contract that even a veteran All Pro would have been lucky to get........and didn't even know HOW to get it back........and then when the physical skills diminished he was in no position to persevere even though he then wanted to.

12 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

That article is a great argument for the rookie wage scale.

...a better illustration is Sam Bradford, the last to cash under the old formula ($50 mil guaranteed)....8 seasons and total earnings of $114 million.....110 career TD passes or $1.128 mil each.....sure his injuries weer unfortunate and I liked the kid coming out of Oklahoma, but this is the FINANCIAL reality and the gambles IMO...

41 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He was maybe the player that scouts were most wrong on that I can remember. He was considered the safest pick in the draft.

I remember they declared him bust-proof.    A sure pro bowler for years on end ??‍♂️☠️☠️☠️

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

I remember they declared him bust-proof.    A sure pro bowler for years on end ??‍♂️☠️☠️☠️

Yep, it’s rare that they are wrong on guys like that. QBs are an exception to this because there is so much that goes into it. Usually though when they declare position players “bust-proof” they are. Curry is such an anomaly. It really is interesting.

The lock out of 2011 was a rare occasion of a labor dispute actually improving the league. Ending these ridiculous rookie contracts and creating a wage scale was very important. Aaron Maybin’s holdout amd subsequent contract comes to mind.

Edited by Leonhart2017

35 minutes ago, Bakin said:

If football players were paid heavily incentive based contracts - how much better would the game be?

a part of me thinks - a lot!

Funny how all the easy solutions are much more complicated in practice. 

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...a better illustration is Sam Bradford, the last to cash under the old formula ($50 mil guaranteed)....8 seasons and total earnings of $114 million.....110 career TD passes or $1.128 mil each.....sure his injuries weer unfortunate and I liked the kid coming out of Oklahoma, but this is the FINANCIAL reality and the gambles IMO...

What made that worse was that he was coming off a shoulder injury at Oklahoma too, and they still did it.

Edited by Mark80