Joe Banner - Giants looking to win now with Eli, not looking at QB in draft

4 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

If Denver does not land a QB in FA it's probably going to have to be more than that if Denver wants to move up to 2.  They have the ammo to do it.  They have #5, two 3rds, three 4ths, plus the 2nd rounder.  Plus they can add future picks if they want.  The price is going to get driven up.  Plus, if the Browns do not take Barkley at #1 it's going to be difficult to convince someone to just I dunno, pass on the best player in the draft.

Denver could make things interesting, Denver getting involved might push the Bills to have to include an extra 2nd and more future picks. 

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It scares me less than any of the concerns with the top QBs in the draft. He just played the best football of his life. He just turned 29. I absolutely want him. My mind goes back and forth on if I'd be willing to give both 1sts for him. At least we know we're getting someone who has shown success at the NFL level.

Im not sold on Foles all of a sudden being good. They had to talk him into playing last season. He was ready to walk away and start his ministry. I'm not ready to hang my hopes and dreams on someone who has played 1 good season out of 6 and who isn't sure he wants to play football anymore. If they wanted him they could have had him last year for free. Then he played 6 games and now he's worth a 1st round pick and then some? Something doesn't add up here.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, kdiggz said:

Im not sold on Foles all of a sudden being good. They had to talk him into playing last season. He was ready to walk away and start his ministry. I'm not ready to hang my hopes and dreams on someone who has played 1 good season out of 6 and who isn't sure he wants to play football anymore. If they wanted him they could have had him last year for free. Then he played 6 games and now he's worth a 1st round pick and then some? Something doesn't add up here.

Smoke to keep the focus away from us moving up...Great post btw!

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, turftoe said:

I'm guessing that it was Indy that offered a 2nd for Foles. He is well known to FR and adds insurance if Luck isn't ready to go early in the season.

I know few will believe me, but I have an inside source that says it was us that offered the pick for Foles. That doesn't mean it's true, just what I was told. 

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:
Joe BannerVerified account @JoeBanner13 51s52 seconds ago
Giants made it clear today that they are not picking a QB in draft. They are clearly going to be aggressive in trying to win as much as they can before Eli is done. Teams with cap challenges and important FA’s do not trade draft picks for players unless the plan is short term

image.thumb.png.9877b6e84f7b5c57f299fe754c02f8f8.png

Joe BannerVerified account @JoeBanner13 32s32 seconds ago
To be clear, I mean they are not picking a QB at 2.

....and in other news, McBeane said he is not moving up or down in the draft.....somehow in a NFL GM's pre-draft world, "honesty is NOT the best policy" and who the hell could blame them?.......

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article149822794.html

Son, that draft pick is going to cost you....21,22, 2019 #1 and that pesky little QB you got, after you pay his bonus this year, would fit nicely as Eli's back up and a change of pace..

Dad, you got a deal...throw in that #2 in the fifth so I can tell Terry and Kim I worked today

Son, done deal....you buy the first round at the owner's meeting...

Win-Win

Sign Josh McCown or Ryan Fitzpatrick as a one year mentor and we are done here....

Edited by JoeF

11 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Denver could make things interesting, Denver getting involved might push the Bills to have to include an extra 2nd and more future picks. 

Imagine that.  More than one team might make a big move or two to get a QB.  

34 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It scares me less than any of the concerns with the top QBs in the draft. He just played the best football of his life. He just turned 29. I absolutely want him. My mind goes back and forth on if I'd be willing to give both 1sts for him. At least we know we're getting someone who has shown success at the NFL level.

http://www.nfl.com/player/nickfoles/2532842/gamelogs?season=2013

I wouldn't say that he just played the best football of his life. I mean, obviously a great playoff/Super Bowl performance trumps a great regular season performance, but he actually had games in 2013 where he performed better than in the SB. Like week 9 of 2013 for example - he threw for 400+ yards, a 78+ comp. % and 7 TDs. 

Problem is it took him 4 years to repeat a similar performance. 

He has been so up and up and down in his career. Even in his best season (2013) he was up and down.

He's never been able to earn a full time starting position in 7 years in the league. IMO there's good reason for that. 

Id much rather shoot for the kid with the sky high ceiling and a real chance at being an elite NFL franchise QB who can elevate those around him. 

I have a very hard time calling Nick Foles a franchise QB... 

1 hour ago, Domdab99 said:

Why does everyone assume Cleveland's not going to take Rosen or Mayfield? There's no point in moving up to #2 if our guy is already gone. 

They wouldn’t announce it until pick #2 came up and their guy was still there. Similar to the Sammy trade, the framework would be agreed upon beforehand but the trigger wouldn’t be pulled until Cleveland makes their  pick.

when Philly traded up to 2 a couple years ago prior to the draft, they said they would be ok with either wentz or Goff there so they were assured one of the two. But I think they knew the Rams were taking Goff. 

that said, I don’t think Dorsey is going to take rosen or Mayfield at 1. Mayfield can be had later and though he denies saying it, I don’t think he likes Rosen.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They wouldn’t announce it until pick #2 came up and their guy was still there. Similar to the Sammy trade, the framework would be agreed upon beforehand but the trigger wouldn’t be pulled until Cleveland makes their  pick.

when Philly traded up to 2 a couple years ago prior to the draft, they said they would be ok with either wentz or Goff there so they were assured one of the two. But I think they knew the Rams were taking Goff. 

that said, I don’t think Dorsey is going to take rosen or Mayfield at 1. Mayfield can be had later and though he denies saying it, I don’t think he likes Rosen.

If he signs AJ McCarron is a couple weeks we will have a much better feeling

2 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Eli is getting up there in age, they gotta be thinking about the future at some point....

And they may not drop into the top-5 again in the near future.  If you have an opportunity for a franchise QB, you always get it.  The Bills were unlucky when they had the 3rd overall pick...Only 2 QBs were avaiable and take before them.

14 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

If he signs AJ McCarron is a couple weeks we will have a much better feeling

Imo they are going to sign McCarron to a 2-3 year deal with the understanding he will start for 2 years, and an option year. They will draft Darnold, who has huge upside but very inexperienced and should not be starting anytime soon. If mccarron plays well there and wins some games with that team he will become a UFA and capitalize with a huge deal somewhere once Darnold is able to take over. The Browns are able to get a QB who knows Hue’s system and can start immediately, plus they get their QB of the future. They saw last year that starting a very young rookie QB who had turnover issues in college doesn’t equate to wins. The Browns just need some wins right now. But can still get their guy and start grooming him.

I dont think they have any interest in taking a RB at #1.

i think they will take Minkah Fitzpatrick at 4 and he will be Dorsey’s Eric Berry. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Imo they are going to sign McCarron to a 2-3 year deal with the understanding he will start for 2 years, and an option year. They will draft Darnold, who has huge upside but very inexperienced and should not be starting anytime soon. If mccarron plays well he will become a Ufa and capitalize with a huge deal somewhere once Darnold is able to take over. The Browns are able to get a QB who knows Hue’s system and can start immediately, plus they get their QB of the future. They saw last year that starting a very young rookie QB who had turnover issues in college doesn’t equate to wins. The Browns just need some wins. 

I dont think they have any interest in taking a RB at #1.

Very interesting take, you insights about this subject are appreciated. I have wondered whether it wouldn't be Barkley and Fitzpatrick. You could be right and they embrace redundancy at the QB position. Nice hedge.

27 minutes ago, ganesh said:

And they may not drop into the top-5 again in the near future.  If you have an opportunity for a franchise QB, you always get it.  The Bills were unlucky when they had the 3rd overall pick...Only 2 QBs were avaiable and take before them.

But those meaningless late season wins tho. Amirite?

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, ganesh said:

The year we took Dareus? Wasn't the draft order Newton, Miller, Dareus?

Luck not coming out that year cost us