Why is Baker Mayfield getting the least amount of buzz?

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

You were probably lucky, then.

Do you think that all people who get arrested are bad people?  Especially college kids when it comes to alcohol?

He was drunk, evidently being yelled at by someone and in the middle of a fight and then confronted by a cop... bad combination.  By the sounds of it, unlike Johnny Football, he's not a big worry in terms of being addicted.

I think the guy just has a massive chip on his shoulder. 

Look, you asked a question and I supplied you A possible reason.  

I did not pass judgment (here).  

I had in the past said that if he’s a Johnny Manziel clone then I wouldn’t want him.  

Just now, John from Riverside said:

We will be lucky to get the next Russel Wilson

I don't want the next Wilson...I want the first Darnold or Rosen.

Again another one of the common things Bean has said since July 2017 is:

"Obviously, you draw them up, from a physical standpoint, they look like Cam (Newton)," Beane said. "But how many are there like that? You want a guy, the stature, the height, you know, they're standing over, they're not worried about linemen in their face. It gives them the vision and all that." 

• Like (+1) 1

Mayfield is a gamer for sure. I just don't think coaches and GMs can convince themselves he is the guy. I think if you are going to be small you have to have some qualities that make you super special. Wilson is really athletic with huge hands, and absolutely no red flags. He went in the third. Drew Brees was a special passer who scanned the entire field during his college career in an early spread system, but he was pinpoint accurate with the football also had plus 10 inch hands. Also squeaky clean and went in the second round.

I think we are  asking a lot of GMs to overlook everything about Mayfield and convince themselves that this is the guy they are going to hitch their careers to. Athletically, he is not super special. If you look at the  numbers, he tested similar to Brees. A small quarterback better be an unbelievable athlete, or a pinpoint precise passer. Even when they are, they still don't go in the first round. Add red flags and such and it just doesn't add up. I like Mayfield, but I do think its Rosen, Darnold, Allen, and honestly I might hitch my future to an elite athlete like Lamar before Mayfield. I actually think the Saints should draft him at the end of the first and groom him behind Brees. I doubt he lasts that long. 

23 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I don't want the next Wilson...I want the first Darnold or Rosen.

Again another one of the common things Bean has said since July 2017 is:

"Obviously, you draw them up, from a physical standpoint, they look like Cam (Newton)," Beane said. "But how many are there like that? You want a guy, the stature, the height, you know, they're standing over, they're not worried about linemen in their face. It gives them the vision and all that." 

What if you cant have them?  (that is not meant to be snarky...just a reality that we are in competition and at a dissadvantage from where we are int he draft slotting)

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

What if you cant have them?  (that is not meant to be snarky...just a reality that we are in competition and at a dissadvantage from where we are int he draft slotting)

No worries John :beer:

It comes down to how much we are willing to give up to get there and how we feel about them. You can't play the could've, would've, should've game and this would have been an excellent draft if we did indeed stay at 10 last year and draft a QB like Watson or Mahomes (my choice after Trubisky); but we didn't.

So, the question becomes do you go all in this year? Yes, well be prepared to pay. If you don't, now you have to look at next year and as of now next year's crop does not look good at all. Are you willing to piece meal this together until 2020 and hope there is someone there? I don't think you can since that QB will need a couple years to develop. The longer you wait, this keeps getting delayed. This has to be the year you make a move...

1 hour ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I have watched a lot of YouTube video of the top 8 QB's in this draft and watched some live college games on TV. The guy I think is a can't miss pick and has separated himself from everyone else is Baker Mayfield. I am now hoping the Bills try and get the 1st or 2nd pick to try and get Mayfield. I do think he could drop like Wilson because of height but any team that passes on him will be making a huge mistake. 

So in the past I have identified Wilson, Jimmy G and Derek Carr as the QB's that I most wanted from those draft classes. I am now making my all in push for Baker Mayfield, I don't go all in on QB's very often but when I have they have worked out. I watched Jimmy G in high school on the Mustangs and I watched a lot of his games at Eastern Illinois. He broke almost all of Tony Romo's passing records. To me it was a no brainer for the Bills to draft Jimmy G, I 100% knew he was going to be a great QB. This is the exact same feeling I have right now for Baker Mayfield. 

Me too :thumbsup: 

Buffalo Bills: Where the roster can be improved this offseason

Quarterback

900355472-rose-bowl-game-oklahoma-v-geor

Could we not expect a rookie quarterback to come in, complete 63 percent of his passes, throw for 2,800 yards, and toss 14 touchdowns? I believe at least four of the top six guys could do that at the top of this year’s draft.

With that being said, I think that is where the team should find their guy. Whether it is standing firm at 21 and 22, hoping someone like Lamar Jackson falls to them or my preferred option, trading up to get the guy they want in Baker Mayfield, Josh Rosen, or Sam Darnold.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Like (+1) 3

57 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Rosen or Mayfield all day!!!

Something about Rosen just rubs me the wrong way, but I'll be happy if we get him.

I just feel like he has such an expansive injury history, though.  And I think Mayfield's attitude fits in with WNY much better than Rosen, who seems like a New York Giants type of QB.

4 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Lack of ideal height and failures of Hiesman trophy winning QBs past. I don't want any part of him.

Seem like poor reasons.

Cam Newton was the last Heisman winning QB to come into the NFL, wasn't he? Or was it Mariota?

Regardless, both are doing just fine in the NFL, aren't they?

13 hours ago, SoTier said:

Maybe he looked even shorter next to Allen, so the other teams lost interest in him and he'll slide to where the Bills have a realistic shot to trade up for him.  NFL guys really don't like short QBs which is why they all passed on Russell Wilson to chase after Brock Osweiler.  Mayfield seems to be a real gamer who will do whatever he needs to do to win ... and he seems to play clutch, too.  Big guys who can chuck the ball a mile when they're wearing shorts and/or red jerseys are a dime a dozen.  Potential NFL QBs, not nearly so plentiful.

Mayfield is the only one of this crop of QBs I'd trade up myself.

hryEYn.gif

He ain't'no Russell Wilson. 

Just to put Baker Mayfield college career into perspective. This is where he stands on the all time NCAA ranks in various statistics (from 1956 till now). Passer rating #2.     Yds/att #3.    Pass Yds #7.   Pass tds. #4 

Total tds. Rush and pass #2. The last 2 seasons his stats have been otherworldly.     https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/baker-mayfield-1.html.   It would be amazing if the Bills could get him. fwiw I read where a gm said that Mayfield football knowledge was 'off the charts' . He also said Rosen Darnold and Rudolph were good but Jackson and Allen were a long ways off as far as next level football knowledge.

Edited by Turk71

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Seem like poor reasons.

Cam Newton was the last Heisman winning QB to come into the NFL, wasn't he? Or was it Mariota?

Regardless, both are doing just fine in the NFL, aren't they?

He just feels like a bust to me, if I'm wrong so be it but rather not roll the dice on him.