AFC Team offered a 2nd to the Eagles for Foles - Mort update - want more than 1 and 4

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

Teams from the AFC most commonly linked to pursuing a quarterback are the Browns, Bills, Jets and Dolphins. The Browns have two second-round picks, one of which came from the Eagles in the Carson Wentz trade, as do the Bills and Jets. The Dolphins have one second-round pick.

The Browns, Jets and Dolphins could also get their new quarterbacks in the first round, especially given the position depth this year. The Browns pick first and fourth overall. The Jets pick sixth. The Dolphins pick 11th. The Bills select 21st overall, which might them more willing to deal a pick for an established quarterback

When did Denver move out of the AFC?

39 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

How does this compare to Mike White and Luke Faulk (believed to be mid to late second round picks) NFL career stats? 

Exactly. Foles may return to his baseline this season, which would be that of an average QB who occasionally has hot streaks. This could however, suit a team with a stellar offensive scheme. Contrary to popular TBD belief, second and third round QB’s aren’t guaranteed to be average starters. How many second and third round QB’s have busted out of the league in several years? 

With that said , I’m not sure if I’d be a fan of Foles in a Bills uni. The 2018 NFL season proved the value of innovative offensive coaching. Sean McVay and Doug Pederson both carried their teams to successful seasons. Jared Goff looked like a real QB in contrast to his rookie season, and Foles played like a HOF’er. That is a testament to great coaching.

I’m not confident we have that luxury here in Buffalo. We will need a true franchise QB to carry us. The jury is out on Daboll (not impressed by his previous NFL stops), and McD is an incredibly conservative coach. McD would have punted that Super Bowl victory away. Mc D is a great defensive coach, and Daboll might be a solid play caller, but we have a coaching staff who are very traditional. We aren’t going to win like the 2018 Eagles. We will need a pocket passer who makes consistent plays imo.

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Foles has never had a bad season as starter:

2012 rokie

2013 pro bowl

2014 injured at 6-2 record

2015 was in the rams with jeff fisher, also goff and case keenum where bad in there

2016 never had a chance to start

2017 super bowl mvp

so you go for foles and get a qb at 21st and if you miss both then go qb next year, anyway all can fail also first overall pick

20 minutes ago, Zac said:

2 scenarios. 

Scenario #1

Trade our 2nd round pick for Nick Foles

Draft Lamar Jackson with pick #21

First 2 rounds look like this:

#21 Lamar Jackson

Scenario #2

Trade #21, #22 and #53 for #2 Overall

First 2 rounds look like this

#2 Josh Rosen

Which scenario makes us a better football team.  I would say #1.  

#2 all day long - Rosen or Darnold. Would also take Mayfield over Jackson...

Chris MortensenVerified account @mortreport 3m3 minutes ago
Eagles have fielded - not solicited - more than one inquiry and offer for Nick Foles. Eagles' basic answer is it's going to take more than the 1st and 4th round picks they got from Vikings for Sam Bradford. Foles is Super Bowl MVP and best insurance policy in NFL.

2 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Eagles have fielded - not solicited - more than one inquiry and offer for Nick Foles. Eagles' basic answer is it's going to take more than the 1st and 4th round picks they got from Vikings for Sam Bradford. Foles is Super Bowl MVP and best insurance policy in NFL.

I think that's likely posturing and will come down some in the next couple weeks. 

It would stretch me to give up a first for him, but if the staff thought they could get him to produce at a high level I would take it. 

41 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

How does this compare to Mike White and Luke Faulk (believed to be mid to late second round picks) NFL career stats? 

Using that logic why draft a QB at all? Peterman has NFL stats accumulated. Mike Glennon has NFL stats accumulated. 

Foles had that amazing 27 TD season in 2013. He's thrown 28 since then. No thank you and especially not giving up a high draft pick for him. Same or better productivity could be had potentially by Keenum, McCown or someone of that ilk.

1 minute ago, Reed83HOF said:

Actually if you look back, we more or less stopped going after QBs after Donahoe was gone. I will give TD that, he did make moves to attempt to address it. Once Marv replaced him we went the cheap route (not talented). EJ was the only shot after 2004 before EJ...

Yeah it may be changing, but the rules still favor the QB. PHI & LAR did not have great rosters until they got a QB. PHI got in a good position for the post-season because of Wentz. the Rams only got better because of Goff. QBs elevate talent around them. A full season of Foles would not have had the same rate of success, as Wentz...

2001: Tom Brady, Patriots.

2002: Rich Gannon, Raiders.

2003: Tom Brady, Patriots.

2004: Tom Brady, Patriots.

2005: Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers.

2006: Peyton Manning, Colts.

2007: Tom Brady, Patriots.

2008: Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers.

2009: Peyton Manning, Colts.

2010: Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers.

2011: Tom Brady, Patriots.

2012: Joe Flacco, Ravens.

2013: Peyton Manning, Broncos.

2014: Tom Brady, Patriots.

2015: Peyton Manning, Broncos.

2016: Brady 

2017: Brady

The Rams had a great roster but a terrible HC. Goff improved, but that roster was intact save for Watkins and Woods. Are they world beaters ? Yes, a great QB can elevate the play of others. We don't know if ANY of the draftable QBs are that guy. I'll concur that the Bills GM situation post-TD was a joke. Ralph simply didn't trust anyone and wanted to put in a " nice guy" after the tyrannical Donahoe. The purse strings may have been tightened, but at the same time the team spent huge for Mario Williams. I still think it was poor decisions by below average GMs more than a $$ issue. Regardless, the only top ten picks to win SBs at QB in recent times are the Mannings. There's more than one way to get to the goal. The Bills need to consider all options. 

Just now, KelsaysLunchbox said:

Using that logic why draft a QB at all? Peterman has NFL stats accumulated. Mike Glennon has NFL stats accumulated. 

Foles had that amazing 27 TD season in 2013. He's thrown 28 since then. No thank you and especially not giving up a high draft pick for him. Same or better productivity could be had potentially by Keenum, McCown or someone of that ilk.

It's called risk vs reward. My point was that Foles is a risk yes, but so is any player taken anywhere in the draft, specifically a QB taken in the late second round. 

3 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Sure, except that option #2 isnt realistic. There's no way anyone in the top 4 is dropping down to the bottom 3rd in the draft unless they are getting a while lot more then what was listed above. Most likely gonna have to throw in a few more late picks and next year's 1st also. Especially with the QB demand out there now and the supposed greatness of the top QBs this year.

• Like (+1) 1

Edit - Update:

NO. FREAKING. WAY.

I'm surprised Bills fans of all people are rejecting a 1st round pick for Foles. We're probably the only team that this makes sense for. We would still have a 1st round pick AND the QB that just beat the Patriots. What am I missing here? Hell if we want to solve the QB position once and for all we use our other 1st round on someone like Lamar Jackson and let them sit behind Foles. Time to think outside the box.

3 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

NO. FREAKING. WAY.

Did Pennsylvania legalize marijuana?

11 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Package #2 for sure, but that's just not getting it done in the real world. As for the Eagles, they can want a first and a fourth but imo it's not happening. He will be traded for less. 

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I'm surprised Bills fans of all people are rejecting a 1st round pick for Foles. We're probably the only team that this makes sense for. We would still have a 1st round pick AND the QB that just beat the Patriots. What am I missing here? Hell if we want to solve the QB position once and for all we use our other 1st round on someone like Lamar Jackson and let them sit behind Foles. Time to think outside the box.

I personally think foles was in the perfect situation on that team and with those coaches. that's a dream staff to work with if you are a qb..... and a really good team all around. 

1 minute ago, billsbackto81 said:

Did Pennsylvania legalize marijuana?

haha! my first thought when I read was "They're freaking HIGH!"

• Like (+1) 1

This would be awful if it is us btw...

I agree.  Foles had a phenomenal season in 2013, but crashed and burned just like the rest of Chip Kelly's offense the next season.  He was uninspiring in his stints elsewhere since then, and really looked mediocre after taking over for Wentz until the Super Bowl.  In the right situation (ie, a loaded offense and brilliant coaching like Philly has), Foles is probably a pretty good QB but the Bills simply don't have the talent that the Eagles do, so I think he'd really struggle here.   That's also why I'm leery about Keenum but at least Keenum just costs some $$$ not potential talent.  I'd prefer the Bills pass on both and draft a QB, even if they have to settle for a second tier guy on Day 2.

8 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

It's called risk vs reward. My point was that Foles is a risk yes, but so is any player taken anywhere in the draft, specifically a QB taken in the late second round. 

The way I see it, it's called needless squandering of a draft pick. Like I said you could potentially get the same productivity from a Keenum and not have to give up the pick. 

When you look at his Super Bowl performance it's real easy to get caught up in how well he played. It's easier to forget that the Pats for some reason benched Malcolm Butler and Patrick Chung missed a chunk of time in the game. Gilmore was locked on Alshon and the rest of the receivers played against replacement level talent.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Absolutely ZERO INETREST in Nick Foles if Philly wants a 1st, let alone a 1st + 4th + something else. 

Hes is a bridge QB who needs the right talent/system/playcalling and even then he's not great. He had an amazing Super Bowl game,  a good playoff game (or two) and a good season waynback in 2013. You don't pay a 1st + for that. 

Also - both times he had success at QB, it was in very innovative offense's. Chip Kelly's 1st year, and Doug Pederson's brilliant and creative play calling last year. 

Do we have that type of offense and playcalling here? Or are we going to be a comservativr run first team again this year? My guess is the latter. 

Edited by BillsFan4