Which Top Draft Prospects Fit McDermott's Model Best

I think it is pretty safe to rule out any players in this draft that don't fit into a pretty narrow window of what McDermott likes in players.

In my opinion the primary traits are

1) Above average (even insane) work ethic

2) Belief in the process (the process being doing your job right/great/better every play without worrying about the ultimate outcome win/loss of the game)

3) Person of character

For college football junkies and analysts out there- What players in this draft actually possess all three of those traits?

Roquan Smith - Best LB in the draft. Instinctive, film junkie, 100% effort all of the time.

Harrison Phillips - A lunch pail guy who gives you 100% effort all the time and plays a position of need right now. 

Tremaine Edmunds - Another athletically gifted LB who works hard and is very instinctive on the field. 

I could go on with a few more, but don't have the time at the moment. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, H2o said:

Roquan Smith - Best LB in the draft. Instinctive, film junkie, 100% effort all of the time.

Harrison Phillips - A lunch pail guy who gives you 100% effort all the time and plays a position of need right now. 

Tremaine Edmunds - Another athletically gifted LB who works hard and is very instinctive on the field. 

Thanks!   I think we either end up with a QB, or one of these guys with one of our 1st round picks.  

Question: are either Smith or Edmunds guys who can cover and/or rush the QB.  Or more "inside" types?  

I would add 3-4 year starter to the trait list. I don't know if that is a "trait" per se, but it's what they look for. 

Also seems to like leadership, ideally having been chosen as a captain. 

Edit: One guy that comes to mind is Austin Corbett, OL prospect from Nevada. 

"Corbett was named a team captain as a sophomore in 2015...

Considered a team leader and determined worker. Went from walk-on to four-year starter."

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Thanks!   I think we either end up with a QB, or one of these guys with one of our 1st round picks.  

Question: are either Smith or Edmunds guys who can cover and/or rush the QB.  Or more "inside" types?  

Edmunds can rush

smith can cover

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, H2o said:

The top two here are givens.  Edmunds is only 19 so I am not sure about him even though they said he came off mature in interviews.  Unfortunately Roquan won't be around but I would not rule out a trade up for him if he lasts until 15 which he shouldn't.

A couple others I think you could add. 

Marcus Davenport DE UTSA Size and pass rush skills for the DE spot, chip on the shoulder 

Leighton Vander Esch DE Boise State - not my favorite and only a one year starter however he has size, attitude and coverage abilities we are lacking plus character

Baker Mayfield if they get past his immature mistakes, he has been described  as a worker and a grinder which fits the model.  

2 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

DJ Chark WR-LSU seems to fit the mold from what little I've read.  

He is. I have a short story about him. I was in the parking lot picking up my tailgating equipment after the Spring game two years ago. The players usually walk across this parking lot from the stadium to the football facility where they have a big party to close out spring ball.

A lot of the players you can tell are trying to get across fast so they aren’t approached by fans.

DJ went out of his way and went up to my son and his friend who were playing catch and introduced himself and asked them if they would like his gloves he used in the spring game. Kids faces lit up and he signed the gloves too. Got to talk to him for about 5 min before he had to leave. Still today my kid talks about meeting DJ Chark.

Edited by CajunBillsBacker
  • Like (+1) 3

Josey Jewell is a round 2 option. Yes he ran a 4.82 40, but he has great anticipation.

Jewell had the fastest LB 3 cone time, which says a lot about changing direction in a box....

Courtland Sutton surprised me with the 3rd fastest 3 cone drill of all the WR. I think he could be a possibility if their for some odd reason in the 1st. I think he’s gone top 15.

Kyle Lauletta-QB

Nick Chubb-RB

Jaylen Samuels-FB

Calvin Ridley-WR

Michael Gallup-WR

DaeSean Hamilton-WR

Hayden Hurst-TE

Brian O'Neill-T

Isaiah Wynn-G

Frank Ragnow-C

Braden Smith-G

Mike McGlinchey-T

Sam Hubbard-DL

Harrison Phillips-DL

Derrick Nnadi-DL

Andrew Brown-DL

Roquan Smith-LB

Darius Leonard-LB

Rashaan Evans-LB

Quenton Meeks-CB

Siran Neal-S

Armani Watts-S

Levi Wallace-CB

Edited by FeelingOnYouboty

I know it's already been said, but Harrison Phillips is the most "McDermott-y" guy you'll ever find.

Wrestling champion, double-majored at Stanford, active in the community, effort player, perfect heir to Kyle Williams.

I am convinced there will never be another prospect that more perfectly matches what McDermott wants in a player.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

I know it's already been said, but Harrison Phillips is the most "McDermott-y" guy you'll ever find.

Wrestling champion, double-majored at Stanford, active in the community, effort player, perfect heir to Kyle Williams.

I am convinced there will never be another prospect that more perfectly matches what McDermott wants in a player.

He even looks like a young Kyle Williams