Schefter: Cousins List Down To 4 Teams (No Bills)

38 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

I don't understand how he could possibly know the final list of teams when teams haven't even been able to talk to him. Just seems like fake news... Headline should say Atleast 4 Teams prepared to Offer Cousins. How does he know that Cousins would like those 4 and not any other when he can't even talk to them

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/02/22/free-agent-tampering-period-agents-players-mmqb

You’ll hear a lot about free agency and the rules over the next three weeks. There will be breathless speculation over what will go down during the NFL’s so-called “tampering period,”...."

"Just know this: Pretty much all of it is for show. The deals that will be done in 20 days? Those are real. But most of the other stuff you’ll hear between now and then isn’t much above fiction.

"Listen to the words of one prominent agent, who’s going back with us through a timeline from a few years back, when a client of his hit the market. At this point, the agent is recounting leaving the combine in Indianapolis, with a week left before the legal tampering period, and how he absolutely knew by then that: A) he had his financial figure, and B) at least two teams would pay it........." (continued in link) 

I believe these types of talks are always going on. 

2 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Cousins to Broncos and Bills trade up to 5 please. 1 pick ahead of the Jets. Don't let the Jets get their franchise QB before we do

What makes you think that if the Bills traded up to pick 5 that the Jets wouldn't try to trade up to #4 (or higher)?????

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

For those who want the Bills to trade up (this includes me): It is in the Bills' best interest for the Broncos to win the Cousins sweepstakes. Elway has already stated that the #5 pick is up for grabs "depending how things play out in free agency". The 5 spot, obviously, will require less capital to obtain than the #2 or #3. Assuming Barkley and Chubb go in the top 5, that means two of the big four are guaranteed to be available at the 5th pick. So...Fingers crossed for Denver to get the job done.

Even the 5th overall pick will be expensive.  It will still involve a few 1st rounders but less 2nd's and in their place a 3rd or two.  Further, Elway can still take the pick off the market if he does not think he is getting good value in a trade.  At this point I would say the door is not even cracked open but rather Elway is looking out through the peep hole.  Also, nothing has been said as to "We are doing business exclusively with the Bills."  If Arizona wants to bid or even if somebody such as Pittsburgh feels their QB is near the end of his career then they will bid.  People might scoff at Pittsburgh but they seem to have fewer holes so they can throw more picks into a package to move up.

48 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m glad about this. Anyone that is going to give Kirk Cousins 3 years and $90M deserves the average play that he will provide. 

I rate him higher than you do. I consider him above average to a being a good qb. That still doesn't mean that he is worth the money. A qb such as Wentz or Rogers would clearly be worth the money. They are dynamic players who elevate their teams. Cousins doesn't fall in that category. The problem with paying him so much is that in the not too distant future you will have to shed talent to stay within the cap. Also, your ability to add talent from the market is severely crimped.  

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Jamie Muellers Ghost said:

Broncos, Vikings, Cardinals, Jets

Money must of really scared McBeane away. If Cousins ends up being Brees, it will be yet another lost opportunity to add to the list.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-kirk-cousins-list-down-172441354.html

Lost opportunity?!? Cousins doesn’t want to play in Buffalo. It’s as simple as that 

30 million on the cap is 17%, The record for a SB Winner is 15% by Peyton Manning. Hard to build a team around the QB at that level. Tom Brady usually around 10-12%. No thanks.

Give me Josh Rosen on a rookie deal and do it right. And, build a team.

I hope the Broncos get Cousins.

Edited by horned dogs
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Just go to Denver. I don’t to play him twice a year 

I could deal with playing Cousins twice a year. Rosen turning out to be the next Marino for the Felons would give me a real attitude.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m glad about this. Anyone that is going to give Kirk Cousins 3 years and $90M deserves the average play that he will provide. 

Exactly.  Whoever is dumb enough to sign him deserves everything they get. $30+M for a very mediocre qb reeks of pure desperation. Find a proven veteran free agent or take your chances in the draft.

2 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

30 million on the cap is 17%, The record for a SB Winner is 15% by Peyton Manning. Hard to build a team around the QB at that level. Tom Brady usually around 10-11%. No thanks.

Give me Josh Rosen on a rookie deal and do it right. And, build a team.

I hope the Broncos get Cousins.

Part of staying with the Pats was Brady sacrificing money so the Pats could sign other players.  Then there is the matter if you believe the conspiracy theories about Kraft paying Brady under the table.  I want to say that Manning has given up money when he was with the Colts.

12 minutes ago, DefenseWins said:

What makes you think that if the Bills traded up to pick 5 that the Jets wouldn't try to trade up to #4 (or higher)?????

Obviously. And we could move to 3!

but you get the concept of what he was saying

6 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Lost opportunity?!? Cousins doesn’t want to play in Buffalo. It’s as simple as that 

The Bills don't want Cousins in Buffalo. It's as simple as that. Some decisions are difficult. This isn't one of them. 

12 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Part of staying with the Pats was Brady sacrificing money so the Pats could sign other players.  Then there is the matter if you believe the conspiracy theories about Kraft paying Brady under the table.  I want to say that Manning has given up money when he was with the Colts.

That was part of the point is that Manning always got paid and the Pats managed it with Brady thus a stronger supporting cast. And, these guys are truly elite, you should pay at the high end of the cap% to truly elite guys...not Cousins.

Edited by horned dogs

Problem with moving up in the draft is the draft capital that you lose. It'd take some late round surprises to be able to lose all those picks and build a quality team around the QB you moved up for. 

Keeping the draft picks and signing Cousins would probably be a near ideal scenario. He's going to be expensive, a bit overrated, but he'd be a quality QB. I'm not sure if this is the year we pick up a QB as i don't think Cousins comes to Buffalo. If someone drops and the price to move up isn't outlandish maybe then i could see us in the mix. If Mayfield pans out even a little bit early i think he'd be an instant fan favorite. 

Sometimes you have to build the team and then find the QB. With Tyrod signed for 1 more season we might just use him and wait for next draft. Beane said it correctly when he said that we aren't as close as some believe. This past season pretty easily could've been a 4-12/5-11 season. We might take a step back before we take a few steps forward. 

It would seem that Cousins going to the Broncos or Jets would be the best outcome for the Bills draft prospects. I still think he goes to the Vikings, with the Jets as a dark horse with a ton of cap space. I think the Broncos drop out as they won't be able to compete financially with the others.

34 minutes ago, DefenseWins said:

What's interesting is if the Broncos "win" the Cousins sweepstakes, the Vikings stick with the QB they know (Keenum) and Ariz quickly, quietly tries to sign McCarron - What do the Jets do? Are the Giant's more inclined to wanna trade pick #2 to the Bills over their crosstown rival Jets?

i think (if i had to take a guess ) that cousins most likely ends up in denver. i think bradford goes to az. and az makes a hard attempt to trade up for one of the qbs  and the jets are hoping rosen or mayfield fall to 6 or if they can get keenum, they will overpay him.

Just now, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

You mean you don’t want cousins in buffalo...

Not at the price he wants. I live in the Washington/Md area so I see him play quite a bit. He is a good qb but far from being an elite qb. From a value standpoint this is a very easy decision for the Bills. For another team such as the Vikings with a  top tier roster  it might be a reasonable acquisition. But for the Bills and where the team is in its rebuilding process it wouldn't be a wise decision. Again, an easy decision to make.