Billy Price tore his pec at combine; out 4 months following surgery

As some of you may know I had the same injury last year. Barbell flat bench is a dirty tramp. Stay away. If you workout, do dumbbell incline and fly's instead. They need to stop making guys do flat bench at the combine. It's an injury waiting to happen. There's other things you can do to test strength like pushing the sled. Maybe hook up some sensors and bring the combine into the 21st century. The only thing flat bench for reps tests is how often you focus on flat bench for reps in the weight room.

• Like (+1) 6

Just now, PIZ said:

Will this drop him some?  Would love to get him.

Depending on how bad it is he could be out for the season. It ended Manny Lawson's career. There's a full tear where the pec severs from your arm bone and they re-attach it with bolts. That's sometimes better as gruesome as it sounds. Or there is a partial tear where it eventually heals but you are never 100% again but maybe you can get back to 80-90% with rehab. It also depends on where it ruptures. In the muscle belly is bad and can leave you deformed for life. You can't sew muscle back together, it's like meat, the threads won't hold. It's a bad injury if it's severe. If it's a slight rip that is ok and it happens to power lifters often and they come back from it eventually. We will have to wait and see

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Sadly I think he will drop with the 6 month recovery time... will miss all of OTAs and TC and probably start out on PUP. 

I think that he falls too but I’m not sure about PUP. He should be recovered by late preseason. Price is so ready to play. If he’s healthy he can head right out there. I didn’t think that he was an option for the Bills but now think that he could be at 53 or 56. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

As some of you may know I had the same injury last year. Barbell flat bench is a dirty tramp. Stay away. If you workout, do dumbbell incline and fly's instead. They need to stop making guys do flat bench at the combine. It's an injury waiting to happen. There's other things you can do to test strength like pushing the sled. Maybe hook up some sensors and bring the combine into the 21st century. The only thing flat bench for reps tests is how often you focus on flat bench for reps in the weight room.

I don’t know what the hell you are talking about

I’ve, and many others have been flat benching for over a decade and never have any issues. 

Damn that's crazy with relatively light weight for a guy that size...

Guess he should have warmed up better.

Just now, GETTOTHE50 said:

I’ve, and many others have been flat benching for over a decade and never have any issues. 

Flat barbell IS a problem for many people.  This is not even really disputed amongst people in the industry.  It puts your shoulder in a relatively unnatural position. Some people are OK with it, many people are not. Decline is a much safer lift relative to how the body actually wants to move.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

First off that's pretty rude. I had a pretty bad injury and your response is I don't know what I'm talking about? I've lived it, i know far too much. I have the scar to prove it.

Secondly what do you bench on barbell flat bench? When you get over 400 let me know and then let me know how many times you tear your pec after that trying for more. It's not a safe exercise. Your natural motion isn't to be locked on to a straight bar like that. Dumbbell incline is better for pec development. The only people that focus on flat barbell bench are powerlifters, gym bros, and apparently NFL rookies.

Edited by kdiggz
  • Like (+1) 4