When Was Doug Whaley Really Fired in 2017?

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...fair assessment.....he was a decent personnel guy always churning the roster 24/7 for talent to improve the club....will forever be a ton of unanswered questions as far as his responsibilities/say among the OBD "power players"......so we're left with a ton of speculative opinions.......pretty obvious from his pressers that he was an introvert versus extrovert as far as being in the spotlight......maybe a C- grade at Pitt for Public Speaking 101.....his "mumblin', grumblin' & stumblin' in that arena may have fueled opinions about his abilities...BUT...we're on to a new regime....

On to a new regime indeed. It’s all about the journey. At least that’s what I keep telling myself

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I just watched the introduction of McDermott at OBD.  Pegula made an introductory speech then turned the mic over to McDermott.

So I'm not sure what you're talking about?

Not the press conference.  When they videoed McDermott first entering OBD as I said and all the employees were gathered in the lobby

Although to your point pegula making that into instead of whaley, may have also been a notable thing. 

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

We really are not disagreeing. For the most part we are in accord. Where I will no longer exhibit patience is on the issue of the qb. Any GM who doesn't secure a credible qb over a reasonable period of time is a failure. The Bills have not had a legitimate franchise qb for almost a quarter century, since the retirement of Kelly. That is a disgrace and an embarrassment. On that issue/metric Whaley didn't get the job done.  

I fully agree. Not making QB a priority is why the Bills have been "the Bills" for the last 18+ years 

No excuses, get a young stud

24 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...fair assessment.....he was a decent personnel guy always churning the roster 24/7 for talent to improve the club....will forever be a ton of unanswered questions as far as his responsibilities/say among the OBD "power players"......so we're left with a ton of speculative opinions.......pretty obvious from his pressers that he was an introvert versus extrovert as far as being in the spotlight......maybe a C- grade at Pitt for Public Speaking 101.....his "mumblin', grumblin' & stumblin' in that arena may have fueled opinions about his abilities...BUT...we're on to a new regime....

Interesting that there’s no longer any need for One Voice McD with Beane here, I wonder why. 

:D

Edited by Rico

3 minutes ago, Rico said:

Interesting that there’s no longer any need for One Voice McD with Beane here, I wonder why. 

:D

...GOOD pickup bud......McBeane came in after McD as we all know, so maybe he now wears the SHERIFF badge first with substantial input from Deputy McD.......

15 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Whaley did meet him at the door and usher him into the building.  I thought the rest was just a bit awkward and unplanned.

That was just such a strange scene though.  McD in his power suit and tie, Brandon, Overdorf, all the staff lined up in suits and tie and there's Whaley slummin' it in his grey Nike pajamas and black pants.  Very strange, unless he intended to wear a suit and spilled soda or barfed on it or something.

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

So many scorching takes!! When the Bills fired Rex the inevitable next step was to part with the GM too. The scouting season was long since over and FA and the draft were approaching. Instead of replacing your entire football operations department after a scouting season and prior to the start of the league year they took the sensible approach. Whaley and his scouts set the board and worked with McDermott on the types of players that he wanted. 

You couldn’t bring in someone new, especially if you were going to turn over the whole department at that juncture. They couldn’t have gotten up to speed. 

No, the real scorching takes at the time of the McD hiring were:

"FINALLY, Whaley picks his new HC!"

"Now Whaley can demonstrate how good of a GM he REALLY is"

"I told you Whaley was safe!  Pegula knew it was all Rex's fault."

• Haha (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

No, the real scorching takes at the time of the McD hiring were:

"FINALLY, Whaley picks his new HC!"

"Now Whaley can demonstrate how good of a GM he REALLY is"

"I told you Whaley was safe!  Pegula knew it was all Rex's fault."

Ain't that the truth. Unbelievable, as It was crystal clear that he was a goner.

21 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Whaley did meet him at the door and usher him into the building.  I thought the rest was just a bit awkward and unplanned.

That was just such a strange scene though.  McD in his power suit and tie, Brandon, Overdorf, all the staff lined up in suits and tie and there's Whaley slummin' it in his grey Nike pajamas and black pants.  Very strange, unless he intended to wear a suit and spilled soda or barfed on it or something.

Lol- the contrast between the two was striking to say the least 

22 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

And he has had other GM looks since so it certainly didn’t hurt him.

What will be telling about Whaley is whether he gets interviewed for a front office position after the draft. If he's going to get a look it should be then.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

What will be telling about Whaley is whether he gets interviewed for a front office position after the draft. If he's going to get a look it should be then.

I tend to think that his next step will be as the head of a pro personnel department. He was always good with under-the-radar free agents. 

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So Whaley said he was part of it, Pegula said he was part of it, he went around the country interviewing people, but he was actually not part of it?

Yes. 

IMHO Whaley was as good as gone after that press conference. The way I think it went down was when McDermott was interviewed he was told that Whaley was going to be fired after the draft and asked if he had anyone that he'd prefer to work with as the new GM. When McDermott was hired Whaley was told he was on the way out and politely asked to butt out of the draft process, and McDermott was the interim ipso facto GM/head coach until they could hire Beane.

On 3/1/2018 at 5:53 PM, Buffalo716 said:

I fully agree. Not making QB a priority is why the Bills have been "the Bills" for the last 18+ years 

No excuses, get a young stud

....entering year 56 of following da Bills/NFL, I'm STILL dumbfounded  (was diagnosed as a birth defect) as to how OBD has historically redefined abysmal as far as valuing the QB spot post Kelly with TE spot a close 2nd......sure a major part is the woeful FO/Admin post Polian and the patchwork crap of unqualifieds as well as those WELL past their football prime is a major contributor.....and throw in some of the stellar (COUGH) coaching staffs as well.....yet no one out of that (dirty) laundry list of bodies had the gonads to stand up and say something about the on field value of the QB and TE spots?.....maybe the "trust element" DID overshadow RW's thinking as far as these key "out of pocket" clowns, frugality so noted, but 17 years of complacency or status quo?.....safe to say, things are much brighter under Pegula ownership who has made substantial strides to atone for his early on mistakes...the currently assembled FO/Admin/Coaching gang has the potential to meet or exceed the Polian era....hoping for a home run regarding 2018 draft/FA BUT will take a triple.....similar results in 2019 when projected cap is $88+ mil and we could be set for the LONG term.......BEFORE i "expire".......

Whaley probably should've topped out as a Pro Personnel Director or something similar. He is a good scout. He's not a good team builder. He probably would've been fine as a guy who was second or third in command to the GM. 

From what I can recall, he was retained through the draft because by the time they canned Rex and brought on McDermott, Whaley and his staff had already done all the heavy lifting to gear up for the draft and free agency. I'm totally speculating here but I wouldn't doubt that McDermott was informed upon his hiring that Whaley would be let go, but I think they may have given McDermott the choice of, "Do you want us to move on from him now or after the draft?" To bring in a new GM and personnel staff at that point would have been a huge undertaking and probably would've left them quite unprepared for FA and the draft. So they probably agreed that, let's leave Doug and his staff to finish their work but we're giving Sean the final say on everything right now. And that was probably a tough thing for Whaley, being told to finish his work for the draft but then as soon as the draft is done, so are you. He was professional about it and did what he could to help and then they said adios. 

I think he'll wind up in the league again at some point but again, as a director or other executive, not a GM.