When restaurants get it wrong, what should happen?

sullim4

15 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

I guess you could have taken it out on the tip.  For $300 18% is around $55 I think.  Could have just left a few dollars if the service was that poor 

Tough call if you don't know who was at fault.Why should the server take the hit if the kitchen staff made the mistake?I only go lower on a tip when the service isn't what I expected it to be.. The quality of the food served should be taken up with ownership/management IMO. Makes no sense to punish a young child for spilling his/her milk on the table because they have tiny hands...?

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Tough call if you don't know who was at fault.Why should the server take the hit if the kitchen staff made the mistake?I only go lower on a tip when the service isn't what I expected it to be.. The quality of the food served should be taken up with ownership/management IMO. Makes no sense to punish a young child for spilling his/her milk on the table because they have tiny hands...?

True I just don't know what type of service this person got.

i just think back personally when I ordered a beer and the waiters spilled it in my lap.  There was a bit of awkwardness there in her cleaning up lol.

Anyway mistakes happen and nobody's perfect.  But she didn't offer a free new beer or meal.  So I took it out on the tip.  Only went back to the establishment once since 

• Like (+1) 1

Interesting situation.  If it were just a normal restaurant, I would have let it slide.  Since this was a very expensive restaurant, I'd probably talk to the manager.  They aren't going to do anything unless you speak up.  They still might not have done anything had you spoke up, but at least you would know that in case you think of visiting in the future.

Here’s the question of the day. Did they take your meal back while they refired your wife’s steak?  To have one person sit there without a meal while others eat is not right. This is a major pain with a large group but things like this helps the kitchen get it right the first time. 

12 hours ago, sullim4 said:

I took the wife out to dinner for her birthday at one of the nicer steakhouses out here - the kind of place where a $300 dinner for two is typical

Here is my snark cannon as Jeremy White would say

wow, $300 for two for a piec of steak..I need to buy a Salamander and open a steak house. 

From my years in the restaurant industry and eating hundreds of meals at restaurants, here's what I've found works best in this situation:

Let the server know that you're dissatisfied with the quality in the most respectful way possible.  Something to the effect of "I know this isn't your fault, and I can tell from the way that my steak is cooked that your kitchen staff typically produces excellent quality, but my wife's steak isn't really up to that same standard.  Is there anything that can be done so that we can both enjoy the type of quality that your restaurant has a reputation of serving? I really appreciate your help."

If it really is a nice place, then the vast majority of the time, the restaurant owner/manager wants to know when something isn't right, the chef wants to serve you the highest quality food, and the server wants to make it right to increase their gratuity.  I've also noticed that when you frame your complaint in the context of asking for help, you appeal to the establishment's desire to fulfill your request.

Now, I've probably only had to take that approach 2-3 times in my dining out life, but every time, without fail, not only is the situation remedied, but it happens quickly, with a positive attitude, and some type of complimentary item (dessert, wine, drink, etc.) is provided.

• Like (+1) 3

14 hours ago, T&C said:

Ask yourself.. what would Trump do?

Grab them by the p***y?

Call them a 'fake restaurant' on Twitter?

Deny you every ate there because they elite enough for you to go to?

12 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Buy the place, fire everybody, hire better staff, and send out a self congratulatory Tweet

.....then close it down after filing for bankruptcy instead of paying off creditors....

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

you switch and eat the unsuitable steak presented to your wife, because you are a man?

It was her birthday after all.  I feel like you pretty much have to fall on that sword in hopes that she'll fall on your sword.

• Haha (+1) 2

I'm a little surprised they didn't offer you a free drink, or maybe desert (especially during a birthday dinner) - that's what we used to do in our joint when we messed something up.

And I think Chef Jim asked a key question - what happened while they were refiring hers?  Did yours just sit?  Did they take it back?  Did it take an unreasonable amount of time?

In the end, I would probably write a nice email the manager explaining the situation and expressing your disappointment.  I've done this on occasion and have almost always gotten some make good.  The one thing I would not do (at least in this case) is just blast them on Yelp! - it just feels a little unfair to blast someone later, vs just having a mano-a-mano conversation when the actual incident happened.  That's why I like the email to the manager, keeps it "in house" and will likely produce results...

OK, I'm hungry now!

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Here’s the question of the day. Did they take your meal back while they refired your wife’s steak?  To have one person sit there without a meal while others eat is not right. This is a major pain with a large group but things like this helps the kitchen get it right the first time. 

They left my steak with me.  They offered to bring my wife a plate so that she could eat the side dishes while she waited for her steak.

I always hate this and yes, it's super awkward when one person waits for food while others already have it.

19 hours ago, T&C said:

Ask yourself.. what would Trump do?

Send out a rambling incoherent tweet ?

As far as the OP ... I'd have given my wife my perfectly done steak and had mine cooked. If it was still raw would it really get rubbery after re-grilling it ?

Perhaps the chef can answer that question.

30 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

They left my steak with me.  They offered to bring my wife a plate so that she could eat the side dishes while she waited for her steak.

I always hate this and yes, it's super awkward when one person waits for food while others already have it.

Yeah that all blows, they just ruined your night.  You dropped top dollar for a lousy night out, and get this, that you eat separately.

You SHOULD get a dinner free (not going to happen), or something significant.  And if not, then take it out on the waiter and tip little.  Let the waiter take it out on the chef where the real blame lies.  Besides, $55 to walk your meal out from the kitchen?

6-7 years ago, took a half day off in the summer to lunch with the wife on a patio of a restaurant.  They bring her meal, an appetizer to share, and mine never comes out.  Waitress never comes back at all except at the end with the bill.  I'm like never saw mine, and I'm angry.  Mgr comes running out with mine in a bag because they need the table, and insists it stays on the bill.  I just walked out.  The place?  And it is like heresy in WNY to complain about this place and I've never been back and never will ...................... Barbills

Tomorrow.................. Wiechecs................. and it will be GREAT!!!  Always IS

45 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

My favorite line was when they brought back food to keep warm when I'd ask why if they said "he's in the bathroom" I'd tell them take it to him there.  There's a 50-50 chance he's sitting down.  

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Did you have $170 in beverages to get to $300?

Those places kill you. Every side is extra.  For $65 you get the steak.  Oh you want starch and veggies to go with it?  Those are extra.  My dad used to send me a $100 gift card for Christmas every year.  I told him to stop.  I'd end up being $200 out of pocket. 

21 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Did you have $170 in beverages to get to $300?

Add two tableside Caesars, two glasses of wine, and sides of tempura shiitake mushrooms and brussels. Oh and 10% sales tax, a 3% "living wage" surcharge, and tip.

27 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

Add two tableside Caesars, two glasses of wine, and sides of tempura shiitake mushrooms and brussels. Oh and 10% sales tax, a 3% "living wage" surcharge, and tip.

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, I take it you never talked to the manager?  

You never told the server that the steak was terrible after he returned it to you? 

Should have asked for the manager. 

Did I miss what what place you ate at? 

2 minutes ago, mead107 said:

So, I take it you never talked to the manager?  

You never told the server that the steak was terrible after he returned it to you? 

Should have asked for the manager. 

Did I miss what what place you ate at? 

Chef Jim's House of Sh*tty Steaks.  Our Motto is: We Like to Put Our Meat in Your Mouth.