Sam Darnold not throwing at combine

YoloinOhio

19 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

This guy worries me as he could drop and Buffalo goes after him. Small hands, weird delivery. When was the last time a USC QB won the SB...exactly!!

I don't think he's gonna drop.   Unless he drops his drawers and pisses on the table at their interview (or equivalent), Browns tune out the Allen hype and take Darnold.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He's not making draft selections.

Right he is coaching and yapping like always. The worst statistical record of any coach who got to see their 40th game. The Browns had a 1 percent chance of going winless in 2017 yet he managed to do it. He is horrible.

Until he is gone they are still on the wrong track. Dorsey can blame Sashi all he wants but they did add pieces and still regressed.

Just now, Commonsense said:

Right he is coaching and yapping like always. The worst statistical record of any coach who got to see their 40th game. The Browns had a 1 percent chance of going winless in 2017 yet he managed to do it. He is horrible.

Until he is gone they are still on the wrong track. Dorsey can blame Sashi all he wants but they did add pieces and still regressed.

Onward.

I guess I don't understand why someone would not throw.  If it's to protect himself from looking bad, what kind of signal does that send to teams?  I understand it may not really affect things that much, just seems odd that guys who have played football since they've been little kids are concerned that for a day or two they'll forget how to throw.

I know I am late to the party on page 5 with this and I get why Darnold and others guys would do this, but I still think this is such a cop out by top prospects.

If you are a QB (supposedly a great one) and you are healthy you should always be ready and willing to put the ball in the air.  

As a matter of fact and I may be going too far with this, if you show up at the combine and you are not injured I would make it mandatory that you participate in all facets of the combine, including the workouts. 

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

38 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I know I am late to the party on page 5 with this and I get why Darnold and others guys would do this, but I still think this is such a cop out by top prospects.

If you are a QB (supposedly a great one) and you are healthy you should always be ready and willing to put the ball in the air.  

As a matter of fact and I may be going too far with this, if you show up at the combine and you are not injured I would make it mandatory that you participate in all facets of the combine, including the workouts

That's difficult though

If somebody has a minor injury that teams are aware of then probably not good to make that mandatory

He's also scheduled to throw at the USC pro day

Let's also remember than many of these guys have tape people can watch

I think the biggest combine gain is physical performance (40, etc)

Even that is crap though imo, it should be run with pads on

A stronger guy might only lose 0.1 off his 40, vs a skinny burner losing more with pads ?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

That's difficult though

If somebody has a minor injury that teams are aware of then probably not good to make that mandatory

He's also scheduled to throw at the USC pro day

Let's also remember than many of these guys have tape people can watch

I think the biggest combine gain is physical performance (40, etc)

Even that is crap though imo, it should be run with pads on

A stronger guy might only lose 0.1 off his 40, vs a skinny burner losing more with pads ?

SNYfan I hear you, buddy.  However, I do stress that they don't have an injury and I know there are other ways to see them, but the main thing being they should always.  be ready. and willing.  to throw.  

If they are church goers and someone grabs them after Sunday mass while they are in a button down and wearing loafers and asks them to throw I want them to say, "give me the rock, the pancake breakfast can wait."

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Sashi Brown is gone along with his moneyball crew. I wouldn't rest on them repeating past failures. 

I agree and with all the high picks they have this year, I think that they will show great improvement in 2018.  I think they  could get to 8-8.

25 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

SNYfan I hear you, buddy.  However, I do stress that they don't have an injury and I know there are other ways to see them, but the main thing being they should always.  be ready. and willing.  to throw.  

If they are church goers and someone grabs them after Sunday mass while they are in a button down and wearing loafers and asks them to throw I want them to say, "give me the rock, the pancake breakfast can wait."

I'm with you on all that!!

I think making it mandatory might cause too much push back

On 2/27/2018 at 7:54 AM, YoloinOhio said:

Wouldn't it also be "under the microscope" at his "pro day"?

With him laying an egg in his Bowl Game and then being afraid he might mess up at the combine makes me seriously question his competitiveness and ability to produced in the big time.

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 4:51 PM, reddogblitz said:

Wouldn't it also be "under the microscope" at his "pro day"?

With him laying an egg in his Bowl Game and then being afraid he might mess up at the combine makes me seriously question his competitiveness and ability to produced in the big time.

I agree. This is a big red flag that he won't throw! 

Then I look at the teams past history of very highly touted failures at QB with Carson Palmer as the only exception and he has never played in a SB much less won one. A Heisman trophy winner with two pro bowls and three playoff appearances in a Thirteen year NFL career. He is the best the NFL has seen out of USC.

Then you have Mr. Butt Fumble Mark Sanchez. Three time all American Matt Leinart, Cody Kessler, Matt Barkley, John David Booty, Todd Marinovich, Rodney Pete, Sean Salisbury. 

USC QB's have two great things going for them at draft time. They posses the physical talent and potential to make it and play in the NFL and they won enough college games to keep them as the starter. The biggest thing that USC does is with their great recruitment that the supporting cast around the QB is usually excellent and usually is enough to give their QB a big advantage. So far that hasn't equated to success in the NFL at the highest level. 

The odds that the Bills find a franchise QB out of this years draft even with the second pick in the draft is only less than a 30% chance of success. If they are smart the bills would go big into the Kirk Cousins sweepstakes unless they have supreme confidence in their new scouting dept.