Geno = Flat Earth Truther?

YoloinOhio

6 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

There are NO angles on a sphere. Period

I submit Spherical Trigonometry to you.  An area of math taught in high schools in the early 20th century - but largely ignored today as it is mostly automated (unless you happen to be a navigator).  There are angles - they are just different than the concepts of "plane" geometry.

Oddly enough - travelling in a "straight" line takes longer than travelling on a great circle.  Great Circles are what planes use.  EDIT - to avoid confusion I mean Airplanes.  Not the 'plane' of plane geometry which is what would govern the rules of a 'flat' earth.

If the Earth is Flat - why is it that Everest is not visible from everywhere on Earth?  Why is it that when a rocket launches from Florida, not everyone can see it in their sky?

I appreciate that you are probably trolling me (and others) and really are not a flat earther....  But I enjoy the discourse either way.

Edited by MTBill

11 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

If someone cannot, or will not, accept the notion that one plus one equals two, it it a hopeless endeavor to convince them otherwise. Because, any explanation of why one plus one equals two will already be more complicated than the initial concept.

What is this concept of addition anyways?  if 2+2 = 4 and 2*2 = 4 then why isn't 1+1 = 1 since 1*1=1?  seriously.  :)

(I don't need a math lesson - I am totally joshing with you.)

Oh and further proof of this madness, 0+0 = 0 and 0*0 = 0.  So since 1 is between 0 and 2 it stands to reason that it should follow the same rules.

Further EDIT -

This is a case of failed understanding - looking at the results and trying to use them to extrapolate the rules.  Addition has rules which must be followed - there may be results which appear inconsistent with other results, but the rules dictate the environment and the results - the results don't dictate the rules.

Edited by MTBill
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

Another one

https://youtu.be/uRoJZtWRswY

Love me some John Prine!!

Exactly! Couldn't have said it better myself. Yet you think that all those different "pics" prove your point that im not intelligent? Lmfbo dummy!

I have no blackberry. Just a simpleton here with simple observations. And honestly, I hadn't made up my mind yet.just taking all information I have before me to make up my own mind. Does that make me an ignorant dumbass?

If you believe the earth is flat, yes

36 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

Another one

Exactly! Couldn't have said it better myself. Yet you think that all those different "pics" prove your point that im not intelligent? Lmfbo dummy!

I have no blackberry. Just a simpleton here with simple observations. And honestly, I hadn't made up my mind yet.just taking all information I have before me to make up my own mind. Does that make me an ignorant dumbass?

No. 

It makes you a willfully ignorant dumbass. This is the second time you've thrown out the idea that you've referenced "all information" when, if that really was the case, you couldn't possible believe what you've posted relative to the shape of the earth as all of the information relative to the subject refutes the notion that it is flat. You haven't studied basic information, let alone all information. 

That's why I suspect you're simply a troll. 

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

Do birds fly in circles?  When Noah released the raven and dove from the Ark, did they fly in circles?  No!  Circles are a conspiracy of The Man, dude! 

But circular logic is completely acceptable. Claiming that all pictures are fake and then requesting people post pictures? I have no idea what the next possible step in that could be. 

56 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

Another one

Yes...if that’s your evidence and defend it like it’s sufficient...I think you’re pretty ignorant.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, shrader said:

But circular logic is completely acceptable. Claiming that all pictures are fake and then requesting people post pictures? I have no idea what the next possible step in that could be. 

Probably arguing that people are fake.

2 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

Did you or your family evlove from apes? Just curious.  Cuz human dna is only 2 strands different from EVERY OTHER SPECIES ON EARTH. So, you human? If so, explain to me the obtuseness you have to new information please, and why.thanks

You obviously have to be a troll and trolling....In the small chance that you are simply ignorant...

http://humanorigins.si.edu/evidence/human-family-tree

image.thumb.png.59db1d27c1b3ba8e852301c26fa01ed8.png

36 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Has anyone determined where the earth ends? ?. 

At the end, obviously. But (here’s a trick), if you’re at the starting line, and turn around.....it’s a terrific short cut! 

That’s an old flat earther trick, it’s like time travel. 

• Haha (+1) 2

23 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

I'm aware this isn't the forum, but let me say...for 10's of thousands of years, thru ancient, and advanced technological societies, it was a well known fact that the earth was flat. For any christian or Muslim out there, read your texts.

God created the "firmament" and the waters ABOVE AND BELOW.  Van Allen asteroid belt? No true picture( all earth photos are "artist renderings")? All of the sudden, 500 years ago, after THOUSANDS OF YEARS of knowledge and technology, somebody comes along with a midel that 'works' for the church and everything changes? Who was more advanced? Us, today? Or Mayans.or Egyptians? 

Just food for thought.  Carry on??

This is blatantly untrue.  Any and all of the peoples who were either seafarers on the oceans or astronomers had to accept that the Earth is round in order to navigate out of sight of land and to calculate solstices and solar eclipses.  That includes peoples as diverse as the ancient Polynesians who colonized the Pacific, the Druids, the Mayans, and the Vikings. 

Furthermore, the Bible is not a scientific document, and that position is supported by Christian denominations representing more than half of all Christians.

10 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

Coach, I am an educated man. Unlike most people who read their history books as absolute truth, I prefer to take ALL available information to make an educated and informed opinion of things. I didnt just see some random clip on youtube and buy into it lmao

You are "an educated man" only in your own mind, sir, even if you have collected a library wall full of college degrees.  Your knowledge and interpretation of history, especially intellectual history, is erroneous, Euro-centric, and more than a half century out of date.  You have also demonstrated a sad lack of critical thinking, including an inability to evaluate the quality of sources. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, SoTier said:

You are "an educated man" only in your own mind, sir, even if you have collected a library wall full of college degrees.  Your knowledge and interpretation of history, especially intellectual history, is erroneous, Euro-centric, and more than a half century out of date.  You have also demonstrated a sad lack of critical thinking, including an inability to evaluate the quality of sources. 

Euro-centric indeed. Somebody mentioned up thread that vast knowledge was lost in the Middle Ages so much of what we've learned is only recent. I kept thinking, "Yeah, lost in Europe, maybe, but the rest of the world, particularly the Middle East and Asia, were advancing all sorts of scientific knowledge."

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Are you aware through satellite imagery Hawaii moves closer to Japan by 4 inches a year?

https://www.soest.hawaii.edu/GG/ASK/plate-tectonics2.html

wouldnt it fall off of the edge before it reached Japan?  

Where does he East start and West end? 

I have a Masters in Natural Science & Math with a heavy focus on Geology - it's called plate tectonics, chief. Also, this can only occur on a spherical earth...Just sayin...

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SoTier said:

This is blatantly untrue.  Any and all of the peoples who were either seafarers on the oceans or astronomers had to accept that the Earth is round in order to navigate out of sight of land and to calculate solstices and solar eclipses.  That includes peoples as diverse as the ancient Polynesians who colonized the Pacific, the Druids, the Mayans, and the Vikings. 

I would dispute the Druids.  And the Mayans and Aztecs believed in a flat Earth...which is actually surprising, since Mayan astronomy was sufficiently advanced that they could have hypothesized the world was spherical.

But in general, cultures that didn't have the benefit of classical Greek philosophy had a hard time making that leap.  The Greeks were one of the first cultures to decouple observed phenomena from theological dogma, meaning they could explore metaphysical concepts without the worry of heresy.  Aztecs and Mayans...their world description was so closely tied to their mythology that it couldn't be challenged without becoming a human sacrifice.  Interestingly, the medieval Central Asian Islamic empire was a culture that inherited from Greek philosophy, and was by far the most scientifically and academically advanced culture of the High Middle Ages - interestingly, because you wouldn't think it with the reactionary leanings modern Islam tends to have today.

1 minute ago, Reed83HOF said:

I have a Masters in Natural Science & Math with a heavy focus on Geology - it's called plate tectonics, chief. Also, this can only occur on a spherical earth...Just sayin...

Completely incorrect.  Plate tectonics is not dependent on a spherical Earth if the plates are riding on the backs of giant turtles, for example...

6 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Euro-centric indeed. Somebody mentioned up thread that vast knowledge was lost in the Middle Ages so much of what we've learned is only recent. I kept thinking, "Yeah, lost in Europe, maybe, but the rest of the world, particularly the Middle East and Asia, were advancing all sorts of scientific knowledge."

And even the Europeans didn't believe in a flat Earth in the Middle Ages.  It's not even a Eurocentric view, just a stupid one.

4 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

... And even the Europeans didn't believe in a flat Earth in the Middle Ages.  It's not even a Eurocentric view, just a stupid one.

Absolutely. As we've been saying, mariners and others had it figured out long before the Dark Ages.

"Centricity" is an interesting concept to me. In my former life in my travels, I used to enjoy going to libraries in various countries around the world and looking at their maps. Quite a different orientation when looking at Asia-centric maps, etc.