Kim Pegula seeks compromise with players on social protests

YoloinOhio

7 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Yes but when they fight for those things they are doing it outside the game. They are visiting patience outside the game, donating toys for children outside of the game and so on... They don't do it while they are at work. What I don't like is that me and you go to our jobs and if we try to make a political statement at work then we would be fired. And many work places to a Toys fo tots... That kind of stuff is good. But making a political statement at work is not the appriate time. Makes the players look selfish because the Owners are the ones that are impacted the most

Drivers being murdered for "driving while black" and it is the BILLIONAIRS that are impacted the most?

TRUTH is "It is NEVER a good time for BLACK PEOPLE to say they are unhappy with the status quo", isn't that right?

Edited by cd1
  • Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Yes but when they fight for those things they are doing it outside the game. They are visiting patience outside the game, donating toys for children outside of the game and so on... They don't do it while they are at work. What I don't like is that me and you go to our jobs and if we try to make a political statement at work then we would be fired. And many work places to a Toys fo tots... That kind of stuff is good. But making a political statement at work is not the appriate time. Makes the players look selfish because the Owners are the ones that are impacted the most

Uhh..I make political statements all of the time at work. I'm in no danger of being fired. The company in the offices next to us actively campaigns for things like toys for tots in their offices. People wear political statement t-shirts all through the building which has several different companies. 

The causes mentioned like fighting breast cancer are actively supported DURING games. Pink sneakers, lapels, ribbons on the uniform, etc. You have ceremonies at games for supporting the troops. So I'm not sure what you're accurate about it "being outside the game". 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, cd1 said:

Drivers being murdered for "driving while black" and it is the BILLIONAIRS that are impacted the most?

TRUTH is "It is NEVER a good time for BLACK PEOPLE to say they are unhappy with the status quo", isn't that right?

They need to shut up and play!!!

now excuse me, but im going to post my opinion all over social media.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 87168 said:

no, you have a problem with what they are protesting.  the NFL stage is used for many things...fighting breast cancer, wounded veterans...hell, even toys for tots, but the minute it's used to address the oppression, then you have a problem with it...? 

haha there's that cognitive dissonance again.

I think you have no idea what my problems are.  

Yes, the NFL stage is used to suuport lotst of causes and things.  But, that's the NFL deciding what they want to do.  Not the players.   The players are the employees, the NFL (and owners) are the boss.  As an employee, you follow the company policies and procedures or you get fired.    

Personally, I think the players can protest whatever they want... On their own time.   But that is the key, do it on thier time not the team's.    I don't think they should be protesting police brutality and oppression any more than they should be holding up a sign to buy girl scout cookies during the game.    

Things like this make me proud to have Kim Pegula as an owner. 

Unfortunately too many football owners (and fans) treat the players like they're subhuman. See below:

29 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Most the players don't even know what the are "protesting"

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

They need to shut up and play!!!

now excuse me, but im going to post my opinion all over social media.

The only ones NOT playing are the [ONE] they won't let play.

1 minute ago, Dan said:

I think you have no idea what my problems are.  

Yes, the NFL stage is used to suuport lotst of causes and things.  But, that's the NFL deciding what they want to do.  Not the players.   The players are the employees, the NFL (and owners) are the boss.  As an employee, you follow the company policies and procedures or you get fired.    

Personally, I think the players can protest whatever they want... On their own time.   But that is the key, do it on thier time not the team's.    I don't think they should be protesting police brutality and oppression any more than they should be holding up a sign to buy girl scout cookies during the game.    

Kneeling during the anthem did absolutely nothing to affect the game except for sensitive fans losing their minds because they can't put themselves in another person's shoes to even try to understand their point. The games were not delayed. They were not affected.  Instead, you saw reactionary fans intentionally misconstruing everything to somehow be about disrespecting the troops or other such nonsense, no matter how many times both the players (and veterans) said that was not the case. 

And I couldn't disagree more that it should only be up to the NFL owners what their platform is used for. I don't watch for the NFL as an entity, I watch for the players and the teams. 

Edited by LA Grant
  • Like (+1) 5

13 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

I don't agree with their views on oppression but that is their view points so they have right to protest but on their own time when they aren't working at a game.

Fans watch sports to get away from politics... I know I hate the political talk about football. I just wanna watch football

5 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Uhh..I make political statements all of the time at work. I'm in no danger of being fired. The company in the offices next to us actively campaigns for things like toys for tots in their offices. People wear political statement t-shirts all through the building which has several different companies. 

The causes mentioned like fighting breast cancer are actively supported DURING games. Pink sneakers, lapels, ribbons on the uniform, etc. You have ceremonies at games for supporting the troops. So I'm not sure what you're accurate about it "being outside the game". 

I, too, am allowed to wear any sort of political T-shirt, or whatever, while at work (as long as it is not obscene, or otherwise inappropriate), but I'm not sure that qualifies as an "action," per se. It certainly wouldn't affect my job in any way. Be that as it may, I have also never been asked to stand for the National Anthem while at work, and I'm not sure that I would capitulate if I were. 

Also, wouldn't standing for the National Anthem be every bit as much a political statement as kneeling for it?

• Like (+1) 3

If you look at how the NBA is run, it is a good model. The players are extremely vocal (see Lebron as the most recent example). I do think that because that is a superstar league they appear to represent themselves more than the organization as a whole. But still, Adam Silver is an excellent commissioner and the political statements don’t hurt business at all. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, nucci said:

How do you know their opinions are contrary to the organization? Many owners agree with the players

I don't.  But given the way most of the owners and the league are responding, they at the least seem to not want the players protesting like this.  And ultimately that's all that matters. If they supported it and wanted the players to protest it, then this wouldn't be an issue,

Take another example, the breast cancer awareness.  All the players wear pink in October.  Now maybe they like that, maybe they don't.  But, I would guess the league strongly suggests that you'll be wearing your pink flare if you want to be a team player.  

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

If you look at how the NBA is run, it is a good model. The players are extremely vocal (see Lebron as the most recent example). I do think that because that is a superstar league they appear to represent themselves more than the organization as a whole. But still, Adam Silver is an excellent commissioner and the political statements don’t hurt business at all. 

The NBA is so far above every other league. Goodell is  moron and isn't proactive at all.

it's embarrassing how a league that prints money like the NFL is run. 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Most the players don't even know what the are "protesting"

So true.

We've done this same thread a million times and each time I've replied by showing statistics that cops kill white people twice as much as they do blacks. Or that black people are 27 times more likely to attack a white people than the other way around. Or that stuff like #Killallwhitemen was an actual top trend on twitter a couple years ago.

Liberals don't seem to care at all about any of that though. They're blinded by hate (which is ironic because they say that about Trump supporters). They just attack like a pack of rabid dogs when you don't see things in the same delusional way they do.

6 minutes ago, LA Grant said:

Kneeling during the anthem did absolutely nothing to affect the game except for sensitive fans losing their minds because they can't put themselves in another person's shoes to even try to understand their point. The games were not delayed. They were not affected.  Instead, you saw reactionary fans intentionally misconstruing everything to somehow be about disrespecting the troops or other such nonsense, no matter how many times both the players (and veterans) said that was not the case. 

And I couldn't disagree more that it should only be up to the NFL owners what their platform is used for. I don't watch for the NFL as an entity, I watch for the players and the teams. 

I completely agree with you, on all points. 

But my point remains... If your boss said you have to behave a certain way at work, you have to do that.  I can't use my company car for personal trips to the sex store?  If I'm caught wearing my work shirt in a bar, I'm fired.  Some other owner may not care, but mine does.  

I think too many people on this discussion are wrapped up in what the players are protesting.  I'm saying it doesn't matter what they're protesting... They are employees and when they are wearing the company uniform, they should be expected to represent the company.  Right now, in February, on their own time... Protest away!  Call a news conference a day.  Do what you want.  But, don't do it at the office.  

• Like (+1) 1