Jags release RB Chris Ivory - Update! Visited Bills 2/26

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Ittakestime said:

I don't understand the Ivory interest at all.  We need a young kid in the pipeline due to McCoy's age.  I have zero interest in another 29 year old RB.

I think Beane is trying to fill as many spots in FA as he can so he knows come draft time if he will pull the trigger on a trade up for a QB or if there are still too many spots to fill and stay put. 

7 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

The 2017 Offensive Rookie of the Year was a 3rd round Running Back....I'm not arguing that every 3rd Round RB is a Kamara, but what I AM saying, is that with proper diligence and scouting, a team CAN find a great value in any round for any position. So, by extension, I don't think it's a huge reach to think that if the Bills traded Shady, that they could find a great RB to replace his production. I really like Shady, but at this point, the R.O.I. just isn't there for me, and I'm not completely sure it's there for Beane and McD either. 

He also had a HOF QB and borderline elite running mate in the back field. The rook has skills no doubt but if he was on the Bills with Tyrod starting he'd be an afterthought. Shady produces with limited offensive talent around him and defensive schemes against him and still puts up pro bowl numbers. He's a keeper, even at his salary. When we develop an offense that has threats at QB and WR then maybe you consider moving on from your elite RB.

11 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

He also had a HOF QB and borderline elite running mate in the back field. The rook has skills no doubt but if he was on the Bills with Tyrod starting he'd be an afterthought. Shady produces with limited offensive talent around him and defensive schemes against him and still puts up pro bowl numbers. He's a keeper, even at his salary. When we develop an offense that has threats at QB and WR then maybe you consider moving on from your elite RB.

And yet, a number of articles were written about how Brees wasn't being "Brees" in terms of the usual way of chucking the ball all over....how the Defense and running game were the principal players of their success. Also, you don't wait until the horse is ready to be shot before you move him to the stable from the wild fields of roaming free....you see when it's healthiest and best AHEAD of such disaster....wanting to run Shady into the ground is not a recipe for success. 

I might be wrong, but I'll go out on a limb and say that whether Shady plays for the Bills or for another team, if he's used in his current role, about 10 games in he'll start to wear down and he'll start missing a step here and there, maybe even sooner depending on how games are played. Now, if Beane were to Draft a guy to be the "lead" back, and use Shady as the compliment, then even though I would advise against spending that kind of money on a back-up RB, at least Shady could be fresh and able to contribute throughout the season....I just don't think Shady can keep the heavy workload for an entire season including, hopefully, the post-season. 

29 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

But that's failing to account for all the other changes to come in this Off-season. For example, I would hope the next QB of the Bills is a MUCH better passer adding tremendous impact in the Offense by passing the ball better and with more scoring overall. Additionally, adding new DT / LB talent will help the Defense and the Bills just signed Vontae Davis. These will add to a better team, making the reliance on Shady as the end-all-be-all tool obsolete as few teams handle their Offense this way in the modern NFL. Also, Shady has been electric, but I don't really need to point to how unkind history is to 30 year old RBs....almost to the day, it's a significant drop-off. But, we shall agree to disagree....all good. 

For sure.  All good.  Like I said, I don’t necessarily think it’s a bad move in general, just imo, a bad move for 2018

4 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

I would hate to spend more money at the RB or FB positions. Find me a Kamara or Hunt in the middle rounds of the draft instead. Get me an offensive lineman in FA since the transition is harder from college to the pros.

Once again, they need to add like 3 RBs. Unless you want to use 3 draft picks, they need to sign some guys in FA. 

Signing a RB doesn’t preclude signing an OL

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Once again, they need to add like 3 RBs. Unless you want to use 3 draft picks, they need to sign some guys in FA. 

Signing a RB doesn’t preclude signing an OL

Another positive I read on Twitter this morning, the scout responsible for scouting and talking up Hunt, now works for the Bills. One more reason for optimism, and one more reason to really like Beane and company are doing....been a long time since I've felt this positive about the team as a whole.... Go Bills!

3 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Another positive I read on Twitter this morning, the scout responsible for scouting and talking up Hunt, now works for the Bills. One more reason for optimism, and one more reason to really like Beane and company are doing....been a long time since I've felt this positive about the team as a whole.... Go Bills!

Our guy Astro tweeted that and i posted that in this thread too. Good stuff.

22 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

And yet, a number of articles were written about how Brees wasn't being "Brees" in terms of the usual way of chucking the ball all over....how the Defense and running game were the principal players of their success. Also, you don't wait until the horse is ready to be shot before you move him to the stable from the wild fields of roaming free....you see when it's healthiest and best AHEAD of such disaster....wanting to run Shady into the ground is not a recipe for success. 

I might be wrong, but I'll go out on a limb and say that whether Shady plays for the Bills or for another team, if he's used in his current role, about 10 games in he'll start to wear down and he'll start missing a step here and there, maybe even sooner depending on how games are played. Now, if Beane were to Draft a guy to be the "lead" back, and use Shady as the compliment, then even though I would advise against spending that kind of money on a back-up RB, at least Shady could be fresh and able to contribute throughout the season....I just don't think Shady can keep the heavy workload for an entire season including, hopefully, the post-season. 

I would argue, with a better team and pass game around him like you talked about earlier, shady would be even more lethal on less touches.... and maybe even prolong his career.

or not.... but I think that's a real possibility. sadly, I think by the time they get the pass game figured out the tread will be all but worn bald.

37 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

3.8 ypa in 2016 down to 3.4 in 2017.  The numbers don't lie for an aging back.  Pass please.  

The Jags ran the ball a lot but were not that effective in terms of yards per carry. Fournette is young and a top RB in the league and he averaged just 3.9 yards per carry in 2017. Ivory has a violent running style and he does get nicked up from time to time as a result. I think he still has a little juice left in him seeing some of his runs this past year. He is also a solid pass catcher and good blocker. I see him as an upgrade over what we have on the roster right now behind McCoy. Shady needs some help and Ivory could provide that for a year or two. We can always draft an RB next year as they typically can play right away. 

42 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

3.8 ypa in 2016 down to 3.4 in 2017.  The numbers don't lie for an aging back.  Pass please.  

their prized rookie only went for 3.9 this year. so those numbers can be a bit deceiving. though they ran it a ton, they honestly just don't have a very good line.