What comes first Egg or Chicken?

Ned Kelly

Just curious, no right or wrong answer.

Would it matter who we had as Qb with our current O line or do you pick/trade up and get the novacaine ( appease the masses) Qb?

What if first round QB ie. Rossen, Baker etc

threw 5 interceptions in their first game due to trying to work in a ****ty pocket with no protection?

Some posters seem to be obsessed with having a 1st rnd QB even if the ol and dl are rubbish. ( Madden)

I think we have an opportunity to do it the other way around. Build the Scariest D line and an impenetrable oLine 

Thoughts?

Edited by Ned Kelly
Drunk

Who? They are going to be throwing from a collapsed pocket, 2 of the top 5 qbs in the draft  throw of the back foot as it is.

I'm guess I'm hoping McDermott and Beane are a little more astute than previous regimes.

Edited by Ned Kelly

11 minutes ago, Ned Kelly said:

Would it matter who we had as Qb with our current O line or do you pick/trade up and get the novacaine ( appease the masses) Qb?

threw 5 interceptions in their first game due to trying to work in a ****ty pocket with no protection?

Some posters seem to be obsessed with having a 1st rnd QB even if the ol and dl are rubbish. ( Madden)

I think we have an opportunity to do it the other way around. Build the Scariest D line and an impenetrable oLine 

Thoughts?

Who would you like the QB to be?

• Like (+1) 1

The order in which you build a team doesn’t matter. The hardest piece to get however is the QB. It takes 20% planning, 30% availability and 50% luck. The Bills have planned to go after one this year and there is a crazy amount of availability (comparatively). They need to get it right but the odds of getting a guy now are greater than they have been in the past.

• Like (+1) 8

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The order in which you build a team doesn’t matter. The hardest piece to get however is the QB. It takes 20% planning, 30% availability and 50% luck. The Bills have planned to go after one this year and there is a crazy amount of availability (comparatively). They need to get it right but the odds of getting a guy now are greater than they have been in the past.

Correct. It is also worth saying that we really don't know how well our oline blocks for a traditional pocket passer. That is not what they have been doing for the past 3 years. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Who would you like the QB to be?

I'm not sure it would matter and

I'm not that keen on the guys that will be available.

I actually think anyone that comes to us by way of draft would only be a replacement for Petterman.

If I recall correctly when Beane first arrive he said when asked the most important attribute for a QB is "being able to hang in the pocket"

Lauletta showed this... Not suggesting he's our franchise QB

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Correct. It is also worth saying that we really don't know how well our oline blocks for a traditional pocket passer. That is not what they have been doing for the past 3 years. 

True enough, but let's face it, we aren't going to be exactly surprised if they are rubbish. Not all of his sacks were on Taylor last season. And they are currently minus one center. 

My feeling on this currently, is that if we go 'all in' on a drafted QB, then we are going to have to spend money in FA, to get him the best protection we can. We do have some cap space, and might have a fair bit more depending on cuts. Unlike any number of other years, it would seem that we might be able to achieve both, partly due to the availability of QB talent in this draft.

We could go the 'other way', and use the cap space on a FA QB, but that would still give us the opportunity to reinforce the lines with a bunch of high round picks.

• Thank you (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Agree quantity over quality, all have U flaws that just don't suit us imo. 

I guess I just don't rate the 3,4,5,6th best Qb's that highly when others just say Qb, Qb don't care QB before putting the needs of the team first.

Not suggesting you did this Brian and appreciate your thoughts ?

11 minutes ago, Buddo said:

True enough, but let's face it, we aren't going to be exactly surprised if they are rubbish. Not all of his sacks were on Taylor last season. And they are currently minus one center. 

My feeling on this currently, is that if we go 'all in' on a drafted QB, then we are going to have to spend money in FA, to get him the best protection we can. We do have some cap space, and might have a fair bit more depending on cuts. Unlike any number of other years, it would seem that we might be able to achieve both, partly due to the availability of QB talent in this draft.

We could go the 'other way', and use the cap space on a FA QB, but that would still give us the opportunity to reinforce the lines with a bunch of high round picks.

Well said, I think this is what I was trying to express ?

How much love was there from the O line when Petterman stepped in?

Pretty embarrassing the way he was hung out to dry on the field and by the fans following.

I think these issues need to be sorted before Buffalo and the 'Bills' can move forward. 

I'd actually give Petterman another go. 

14 minutes ago, Ned Kelly said:

Agree quantity over quality, all have U flaws that just don't suit us imo. 

I guess I just don't rate the 3,4,5,6th best Qb's that highly when others just say Qb, Qb don't care QB before putting the needs of the team first.

Not suggesting you did this Brian and appreciate your thoughts ?

It just depends on how you rank the QBs. This year is a really strong QB class. That’s the availability part. You added a 1st and a 2nd already to be able to get a guy. You don’t do all of that and kick the can down the road. The Bills will have a veteran and a rookie this year at QB. If they take Rosen or Mayfield they will be on the field early. If it is Josh Allen it will be a redshirt year IMO. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Who said our future QB from this draft will even start this year?  He may carry a clipboard for the entire season for all we know.

No idea.

He may take 3 dumps a day, 1.3 more than is considered 'elite' for a QB.

Sorry, I don't understand the q? Or the point you are trying to make.

While I do agree that even the best QB will look bad with an under performing O-line and no skill players, you have to look at "windows of opportunity" to get that QB. The Bills are a perfect example. If you are constantly picking in the 15 - 25 range of the draft without any extra picks, it will be next to impossible to get that blue chip QB. This year, even though we are picking in the 20's, we have an abundance of extra picks at a time when it seems there is an abundance of quality QBs in the draft ... this is our year to trade up. If we were to stand pat and use all of our draft picks to improve our team "overall" while neglecting the QB position, you doom the team of constantly picking at the bottom of the draft and never being able to put a package together to get that QB at the top.

I say draft your QB when you have the ammo ... even if you have to sit him until you can protect him.

4 hours ago, Ned Kelly said:

Thoughts?

We have tried that every year for the and how has that worked out. GET THE QB. 

Why are so many Buffalo Bills fans adverse to doing what is needed to finally address the most important position on the field. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 2

Thoughts?

We need a QB.  There's no question.  And then, unless our QB is Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees, we need a better QB.

The right answer is we have to do both.  We must upgrade the OL AND get a QB.  A lot of the OL thing does depend upon the blocking scheme and protections.

A good OL coach adjusts to the players he has, he doesn't play Pears at guard or Ducasse over Miller because the former is a better fit for the scheme but a worse athlete.

If you're thinking of Peterman, he didn't throw 5 INTs because he had a ****y pocket with no protection.  Every OL gets overwhelmed sometimes.  He threw 5 INTs because he was trying to play "hero ball" and make something happen in a situation where he should have sailed the ball out of bounds or hung on for dear life, and sometimes because he had no one open.  We need WR too.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Thoughts?

I say go quarterback, if you miss you stink and get a high pick to try again. If you build the interior first you are likely to draft in the teens and we see how hard it is to get a quarterback there is.

A