If the Giants/Colts are willing, should we attempt to trade up now or during the draft?

JaCrispy

3 minutes ago, KingRex said:

This team is several quality starters away from going deep in the playoffs (this includes starting C, backup RB, #2 WR, 2 DTs, an LB, the franchise QB,  A starting QB would be great, but without a decision to rebuild across the board getting him would be like putting a Formula 1 engine into a VW bug.  Particularly without a rebuild of the OL we might as wsell keep Tyrod as our young QB will be running for his life,

My feelings as well.  I guess there is not enough snow to shovel so some guys have too much time on their hands.

1 hour ago, KingRex said:

Nope.  The Bills need to reload at several positions in order to really have a team capable of going deep in the playoffs.  The two firsts and 2 seconds can go along way toward building a TEAM capable of following getting the players they need in the trenches so they can pursue a franchise QB using the model of the Pits team winning the SB with a rookie QB.

Trading away valuable resources for a QB will kill this TEAM

Wrong. Feel free to bask in the glow of another 17 year drought with that type of mentality. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, KingRex said:

This team is several quality starters away from going deep in the playoffs (this includes starting C, backup RB, #2 WR, 2 DTs, an LB, the franchise QB,  A starting QB would be great, but without a decision to rebuild across the board getting him would be like putting a Formula 1 engine into a VW bug.  Particularly without a rebuild of the OL we might as wsell keep Tyrod as our young QB will be running for his life,

I'm not saying we currently have a Super Bowl roster. But we did make the playoffs. 

We're set with starters at HB, FB, TE, LT, LG, C (yes, Groy), possibly RG (Ducasse was not abysmal and Miller might come back with new scheme), WR1/2 depending on your impression of Benjamin, possibly DT (if Williams comes re-signed), both DEs, 1-2 LBs (if Brown is re-signed), 1-2 CBs (if Gaines is re-signed), both S, K, P, and LS. 

Really need a QB, maybe WR2, RT, DT, LB, and maybe a RG, and another DT, LB, and CB. But you should be able to scratch a good 3- of those off with FA. A lot depends on re-signing our own and FA. 

Far and away, QB is more important than any of those. If you trade up for one, yeah it sucks to have to pay draft capital, but you still have picks outside the 1st round you can use. 

I think they should wait till the draft....or at least take time to make sure who they want.  I just looked at a draft chart that would get us the 5th pick if we gave up our 2 first rounders and a 3rd.  Say they get Baker Mayfield at 5 (go ahead, say it).  Still have 2 second rounders.  We also have the ability to fill holes in the roster with free agents.  Lately Buffalo has been getting a lot of great vibes as a good place to live and play football.  Let's sign Star whatsisname from Carolina.  He misses our coach.  

3 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Trade the 2 firsts and Glenn to get up to #3 to get your FRANCHISE QB.

Then you still have the 2 seconds, the rest of the draft, and ~$30 million to build the TEAM. 

Do you think that price will get it done?  I am all for it, but I fear the heavy demand for qb will skyrocket what it will take.

11 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Do you think that price will get it done?  I am all for it, but I fear the heavy demand for qb will skyrocket what it will take.

I have said before I am ok giving up both 1st rounders plus a 2nd and a 5th to get up to #3 and draft Mayfield or Darnold.

Yes and I don't care when! 

In my opinion, all of the trading we did for picks was to accure capital to FINALLY select a Franchise QB they believe in. Just like the Eagles did. And the Rams. And the Bucs. And the Titans. 

It worked out great for all of them. But somewhere along the way, everyone has become obsessed with keeping every pick. 

If we don't trade up, we're not going to get one of the top 4 guys. Simple as that.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

2 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

I have said before I am ok giving up both 1st rounders plus a 2nd and a 5th to get up to #3 and draft Mayfield or Darnold.

I feel like #21, #22, Glenn, and a 2019 3rd would probably do the trick. 

6 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

I honestly expect that three QB's will be taken within the first five picks and none of the top five teams will trade out of the top five because of it.  I might see the Giants trading with Cleveland so the Browns can get Barclay and a QB but the Giants dropping back only to the 4 spot.  

I can see Cleveland doing something like that.  They got too many picks to use them outright.

20 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I don't see the Giants taking a QB at #2.  Brady is still playing at a high level into his 40's.  Same with Brees.  Eli's got at least another 4 years if you're using those 2 guys as an example.  I think Rosen/Darnold could be had in a trade up with Giants.  If Cousins goes to Denver, that leaves Jets as other serious trade up partner.  No way Giants make that kind of trade with Jets.  Would you trade Shady if he was the trade deal-breaker for Giants? 

It really depends on the new regime for the NYG and how they feel about Manning's chances of sustaining success for several more years. Using Brees or Brady as an example is tough, because Manning has never in his career been at their level, at least not consistently. Not to mention, if they do see themselves succeeding with Eli, they likely aren't going to be picking top 2 again for a very long time, and the likelihood of it occurring in a class stacked with talented qb prospects is even less. They really might want to take advantage. 

And as much as the Giants hate the Jets, it would probably be better for them as a team to trade with them instead of us. They would collect a good amount of draft captal and still have a top 10 pick. 

20 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Only example I have is that the Rams traded up to #1 roughly a month before the draft two years ago.  And then the Eagles trade d up to #2 shortly after the Rams....not sure if  they have to wait til the start of the league year though.

Trading up for the #1 pick before the draft is very different than trading up for the #2 or #3 before the draft.   Trading up for #1, you get your choice.  For any other pick, you don't get your choice.