If the Giants/Colts are willing, should we attempt to trade up now or during the draft?

JaCrispy

2 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Highly doubt that happens.  So many reasons why it’s a terrible idea

True, but you have to admit the Rams and Eagles are two examples of it being successful.

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1

Does this ever happen?

Like is that a thing?

I know in madden i usually trade up before i start the draft, cuz if the cpu rejects your attempt to trade up during the draft your F'd.

Since FA has to shake out first i don't see any team making anything official. Im sure GMs are making phone calls and testing the waters already. 

4 minutes ago, FearLess Price said:

Does this ever happen?

Like is that a thing?

I know in madden i usually trade up before i start the draft, cuz if the cpu rejects your attempt to trade up during the draft your F'd.

Since FA has to shake out first i don't see any team making anything official. Im sure GMs are making phone calls and testing the waters already. 

Only example I have is that the Rams traded up to #1 roughly a month before the draft two years ago.  And then the Eagles trade d up to #2 shortly after the Rams....not sure if  they have to wait til the start of the league year though.

Edited by JaCrispy

It behooves the Giants to sit on this as long as possible to maximize their leverage and get as much as possible in the draft. Some teams may only like 1 of the top 3 QBs, so the pick is more valuable to them if their guy is around at 2, but there is no way to guarantee that before the Browns pick. 

• Like (+1) 2

I think one can safely presume that at least two, maybe more QB's from this draft class are under strong consideration at this point by the Bills. I'm also pretty sure that "feelers" are out to determine what the parameters of any trade might be with each of these teams and Cleveland as well. I don't have a favorite "horse" in this race. It's McBean's task to find his guy - "his QB". If McBean get's it wrong, McBean gets fired. If he get's it right, he get's an extension on his contract and we get the QB we will watch maybe for the next 15-20 years. (High Risk = High Reward)

Oh, one more point to consider. I wonder how many 1st round picks go bust in a given draft. (or simply don't live up to their draft status/expectations) Remember it is not just QB's that bust in the 1st round. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

It behooves the Giants to sit on this as long as possible to maximize their leverage and get as much as possible in the draft. Some teams may only like 1 of the top 3 QBs, so the pick is more valuable to them if their guy is around at 2, but there is no way to guarantee that before the Browns pick. 

That sums it up!

3 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Good point

Really depends on two things: 1. how much the Bills value either Rosen / Darnold / Allen, etc. as THE QB for the next 12-15 years 2. What is the asking price for the trade now? 

I would assume the asking price is pretty steep right now, because why wouldn't it be? The Giants have all the time in the world and leading up to the Draft there will be leaks and announcements about who Cleveland is taking at #1, so the Giants might as well as for the farm.

Now, if it waits to Draft Day, which this is the most plausible scenario, then you probably get a bit of a discount because deadlines motivate people and being on the Clock can sway exactly what the Giants are asking for. 

Also, I don't think anything even remotely close to this gets done before a week or so before the Draft....too much can change and everything is fluid. 

If it's me: it's Rosen or nobody based on talent alone....however, if it's me, I wait at 21 and take Rudolph if he's there, and if not, I'll take White in the 3rd and I'm assuming at this point the Bills already have a Vet QB who can act as a bridge if he needs to, but let Vet, Peterman, and new QB duel it out and see who comes out on top. 

I don't see the Giants taking a QB at #2.  Brady is still playing at a high level into his 40's.  Same with Brees.  Eli's got at least another 4 years if you're using those 2 guys as an example.  I think Rosen/Darnold could be had in a trade up with Giants.  If Cousins goes to Denver, that leaves Jets as other serious trade up partner.  No way Giants make that kind of trade with Jets.  Would you trade Shady if he was the trade deal-breaker for Giants? 

Edited by BuffaloRebound

I see Darnole/Rosen/Mayfield as the Big 3 and would be happy to get any of them.

So, yes I support a trade up to 2 or 3, although looking at that new version of the trade value chart, it seems as if the price is a lot steeper to go to 2 than to 3, by 150-200 points if I recall correctly. 

Regardless, I like that both NYG and IND have atrocious OL, which to me means we could very likely add in Glenn, if healthy, to sweeten the pot. Might avoid sending them our 2019 first round pick. 

4 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

The Giants are drafting a QB as well.  They've got an aging QB near the end of the road.  They crapped the bed at just the right time to get a potential franchise QB in a QB heavy draft.   Why in the world would they trade out of that spot?

Judging by Manning's dance moves, he's playing til 40 at least

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I don't see the Giants taking a QB at #2.  Brady is still playing at a high level into his 40's.  Same with Brees.  Eli's got at least another 4 years if you're using those 2 guys as an example.  I think Rosen/Darnold could be had in a trade up with Giants.  If Cousins goes to Denver, that leaves Jets as other serious trade up partner.  No way Giants make that kind of trade with Jets.  

That's the problem in that each veteran QB will decline at his own rate.  There is no cheating nature 99 percent of the time big time QB or not.  Now would be a good time for the Giants as going after a top prospect will never be any cheaper along with the insurance in case Eli hits the wall soon.  I think that the other teams sitting at the top of the draft order will have the same outlook.  They also all share in that the expectations are low currently so there is no better time to restock some of those shelves versus a year where they appear a few players away and be condemned for not addressing the QB position a few years earlier.  I also agree that there is little incentive for anybody to work a deal with a team such as the Bills as somebody might come along with a better offer between now and April.  A lot of talk here is just "Bills wishing" in that people here expect other teams to work against their own benefit to help the Bills out.  

To repeat my own outlook look for a Bradford signing and maybe Bean moves up to the mid-teens in the draft if a guy he really likes falls.  Otherwise the first two picks will be DL and LB not necessarily in that order.  He will also look to trade down out of pick 21 to gather more choices and will increase the flexibility of getting a QB at the bottom of the first or top half of the second.  We are not one or two players away from making the playoffs this fall so there really is very little room for a luxury pick even if it is a QB.  If everything looks squared away other than QB going into 2019 then maybe Bean mortgages the farm for a top QB.

14 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

The Giants are drafting a QB as well.  They've got an aging QB near the end of the road.  They crapped the bed at just the right time to get a potential franchise QB in a QB heavy draft.   Why in the world would they trade out of that spot?

Unless Eli is telling them he's gonna retire next year, why would Giants voluntarily move on from a QB who's won 2 Super Bowls and has at least another 4 good years left?  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Unless Eli is telling them he's gonna retire next year, why would Giants voluntarily move on from a QB who's won 2 Super Bowls and has at least another 4 good years left?  

Eli said in an interview during super bowl week. That he isn't going anywhere. I don't see the G men going qb high in the draft. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Nobody on Earth can guarantee how long Eli will play at a high level.  He already has a dozen plus NFL seasons on his odometer.  Expectations are low for the Giants so no better time to do the less glamourous housekeeping