Detroit Lions Fans Have To Be Feeling Good About Matt Patricia

BuffaloRush

They probably feel about as nervous about it as 49er fans were feeling about Little Shanny after last year's Super Bowl. 

In the one hand though, it's really easy to miss that the Patties defense doesn't have much talent and have been pretty well coached up this season. 

All in all, as long as they keep Cooter on board and don't mess with the offense they should be a competitive team. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Can the Lions take the contract off the table?  How can you feel good about Patricia after watching his teams give up nearly 400 yards to Blake Bortles and Nick Foles in back-to-back weeks?

He may well fail, but, by your logic are you saying Indy is a shoe in for the playoffs?

8 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

They probably feel about as nervous about it as 49er fans were feeling about Little Shanny after last year's Super Bowl. 

In the one hand though, it's really easy to miss that the Patties defense doesn't have much talent and have been pretty well coached up this season. 

All in all, as long as they keep Cooter on board and don't mess with the offense they should be a competitive team. 

Good take. The talent there this seasonwas seriously lacking. Not a good decision to offload Chandler Jones a while back.

So how do you feel about Marv Levy?  I guess he should have never been inducted into the Hall.   Those four SBs show him as he really is: a loser.    

Seriously, you can't judge a coach's career and skill-set entirely by one game (or, in Marv's case,  four).   You have to look at the entire body of work.

But, yeah, the Pats defense looked terrible yesterday.  I'm not sure what the game plan was but it sure didn't work.

8 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I'm still having trouble understanding why they fired Caldwell.  Two playoff appearances in four years and three winning seasons is the best four year period since the early 90's.

They tried to negotiate with him. 

He wouldn't blink.

Image result for Jim caldwell

9 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

So how do you feel about Marv Levy?  I guess he should have never been inducted into the Hall.   Those four SBs show him as he really is: a loser.    

Seriously, you can't judge a coach's career and skill-set entirely by one game (or, in Marv's case,  four).   You have to look at the entire body of work.

But, yeah, the Pats defense looked terrible yesterday.  I'm not sure what the game plan was but it sure didn't work.

The patriots pass rush looked like the bills did at times.  No pressure, arriving a second too late and not disrupting his delivery.  Felt like the eagles averaged like 8 yards per carry in the run game.  Kept running to the outside where NE is worst.  Even ran a lot of swing passes and screens to the outside very effectively.   

The secondary took poor angles all game long - that 55 yard pass to corey clement was just... bad.  Terrible angle, missed bumping him off his line so he's wide open in a single high safety look.  Then your safety gets trucked... like what are you doing?! The call is man coverage, how does a running back get that open? 

Linebackers were missing tackles, getting gashed over the middle.  Couldn't make plays in the red zone when it counted.  Even I saw the trick play coming.  

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I'm still having trouble understanding why they fired Caldwell.  Two playoff appearances in four years and three winning seasons is the best four year period since the early 90's.

Caldwell is just not a likable guy... 

Compare him to say, Marrone. Gave us the first winning season in over a decade and we were really trending up. People still hated him. 

One of my best friends is a Colts fan and he couldn't STAND Caldwell when he was in Indy. It's that Dick Jauron/Doug Marrone-style attidude/emotion (or lack thereof). No emotion, ever. Very conservative in nature.... the same reason a group of fans already hates Coach McDermott (because he claps too much). People are stupid.

9 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Can the Lions take the contract off the table?  How can you feel good about Patricia after watching his teams give up nearly 400 yards to Blake Bortles and Nick Foles in back-to-back weeks?

That D over performed ALL year. The entire D line was decimated with injuries. He lost 2 starting LBers and Butler played poorly most of the season.  Yet they still finished top 5 in scoring D.  Now imagine what the lions win/ loss record be with a similar performance?

The guy took a talentless defense to 5th in scoring against this year...that's pretty good don't ya think?  Philly had three solid running backs, a Nick Foles who played almost flawless and Alshon Jeffrey who made some great grabs.  I can't name a lot of New England defenders I'd want from that team.