What the Bills can take from Philadelphia

Buffalo716

40 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

A dominant Right Tackle is just as valuable as a Dominant Left Tackle...

Why not have both (like when the eagles have Peters healthy/Johnson)

The best pass rushers move around a lot and you do need 2 good tackles if you want to keep your QB upright all season

No more turnstiles at RT...  If Glenn stays, him or Dawkins have to flip to RT

If we trade/release Glenn and keep Dawkins at LT then we need to make upgrading RT a big priority 

whoever our QB is next year needs an actual POCKET to step up into... not running around for his life

My 2¢

A HC with some Balls to play the math

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I think the TT apologists realize he isn't the long term answer...

Foles also had all day in the pocket to scan the field

Agreed, Philly has a great line. And it looks like a great coach. I'm impressed by his decision making. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

They were just running like a well oiled machine...

Peterson/Reich is an amazing combination 

Their line reminds me of Oakland's last year. Whoever was back there just had time to let routes develop and go through progression I brushed.

And that's with the injury to Peters. They're probably a lot be than Oakland's line is given that lines performance and how they overcame the injury.

My point in comparing the two is that Carr had a great year last year, bad one this year with a bad line performance. And foles had a couple down games, but just picked apart defenses behind this line. And Wentz did the same. Our line and qb can be improved when it comes to passing. 

Enough of this building to run bs. It's just stupid.

I will say Philadelphia finally did something that we have been wanting teams to do against the Cheatriots* for years.....PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!  Be aggressive with your play calling.  Go for it on 4th downs.  Don't play scared like everyone else does. 

Granted the Eagles defense was awful for most of the game, but because they were more aggressive on offense, it allowed them to not only keep up with the Pats*, but beat them at their own game in a lot of ways. 

We can only hope McDermott was watching and takes a few lessons from the Eagles coaching tonight.  Be aggressive and don't look back.  If you lose, so be it, but go down swinging rather than playing not to lose.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, sven233 said:

A QB willing to throw the ball on time into tight windows and actually put the game on his shoulders.  Tonight was a glaring example of why Taylor will never be a Super Bowl QB.

+1

6 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I really think we are gonna sign a vet...

but which one??? Teddy, Bradford, Keenum? Is Foles a FA?

Foles is signed for 2 years.

6 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I think the TT apologists realize he isn't the long term answer...

Foles also had all day in the pocket to scan the field

Amen men. I am one of those, and I would like to point out: the rest of the team matters. Wentz was there all last season, and they ended 6-10.

Of course, last year Johnson was out with a suspension for most of the year. They had no running game. Their best WR was Jordan Matthews. Roseman realized that it wasn't enough, and last offseason splurged on Torrey Smith, Alshon Jeffrey, and Blount (and Darby), and then traded for Ajayi during the year. He even took a shot on Chance Warmack to see if it would upgrade the line.

Suddenly, Wentz looks like an MVP and they have the best 3rd down conversion % in the league.

What I take is their methodology: it is ok to struggle for a year if you have to spend your resources to get your franchise QB, whether that be picks, or cap space. Then, once you have that, identify your weaknesses and go out and get the players you need.

The Eagles will not have many draft picks this offseason. There is no way they keep all their FA's. Do they care about that right now? Heck no.

8 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Play to win.  You have to believe in your guys and take some chances.  The conservative crap won't cut it.

It's literally all about the execution. If the Falcons went conservative in the last Super Bowl there are really good odds we are talking about the Patties losing 2 straight Super Bowls today.

There is a time and place to reel it back and a time and place to put your foot on the gas. They key to either scenario is recognizing it and players doing their job.

I'd also say a couple of things:

1)  Stay AGGRESSIVE on offense.  It's the only way.  You must score EVERY time even if sometimes it is a FG.

2)  Set your defense up at the end where they do not have to worry about two things.  This is what did Brady in at the end.  The Eagles went up by 8 and now those pass rushers didn't have to worry about the run and he was getting hit every snap.

9 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Well I think everybody and their mom knows we need a better QB

this isn't about that

The point that the prior poster was making is that when you get good qb play it improves the performance of the line. A qb that can throw in rhythm and quickly get the ball out without a doubt helps out the line. A qb that can hit a receiver (back or wideout) in stride certainly gives the play a better chance to succeed. As you stated it is obvious that the Bills need a better qb. But it is not so obvious that the play of the qb can significantly affect the play of the line also.

I do agree with you that it would be a mistake to get rid of Glenn. Why create a hole when you can add a talent to the unit? 

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

The point that the prior poster was making is that when you get good qb play it improves the performance of the line. A qb that can throw in rhythm and quickly get the ball out without a doubt helps out the line. A qb that can hit a receiver (back or wideout) in stride certainly gives the play a better chance to succeed. As you stated it is obvious that the Bills need a better qb. But it is not so obvious that the play of the qb can significantly affect the play of the line also.

I do agree with you that it would be a mistake to get rid of Glenn. Why create a hole when you can add a talent to the unit? 

I understand his point. I think alot realize a QB with a quick release can mask a bad line. Fitz was top 10 here in release time and masked a average/bad oline

But Foles had all day in the pocket. His line is amazing. Top notch. 

If we can have a top end line(which is within our grasps) whoever our QB is will benefit greatly 

Foles was poised, And ready to go. He also didn't have to worry about getting killed

Edited by Buffalo716

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I understand his point. I think alot realize a QB with a quick release can mask a bad line. Fitz was top 10 here in release time and masked a average/bad oline

But Foles had all day in the pocket. His line is amazing. Top notch. 

If we can have a top end line(which is within our grasps) whoever our QB is will benefit greatly 

Foles was poised, And ready to go. He also didn't have to worry about getting killed

A top end line is within our grasp?

That's news to me.

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

A top end line is within our grasp?

That's news to me.

We have 2 good tackles in place. And a good but old guard

If Groy pans out which I believe he will, all we need to do is draft a guard early and our line should be pretty dang good

RT has been killing us for years and we have 2 good tackles now