Why didn’t Belichick play Malcolm Butler?

YoloinOhio

16 minutes ago, Process said:

Brady is the GOAT without question, and is the reason for the Patriots dynasty. 

Is Bellicheck a great coach? Yes. But hes nowhere near the mastermind people think he is. 

i agree and I've said this since he traded Chandler Jones trying to be cute--he should have learned from the Seymour deal- don't dump great young players in their prime.    He gave away the 2017 best defensive end in football for basically nothing and it cost him the championship.  They have zero pass rush now, and got chewed up because of it.   Foles had all day back there, and the GENIUS is to blame.  Loved seeing Kraft and his ridiculous mullet with that whiny smug look on his face when he realized that they lost.    so satisfying. 

Mike Reiss ESPN Staff Writer 

More from an emotional Malcolm Butler as he walked to the team bus: "I don't know what it was. I guess I wasn't playing good or they didn't feel comfortable. I don't know. But I could have changed that game."

Malcolm Butler on what's next, as he is an unrestricted free agent: "I ain't Miss Cleo, so I can't tell the future." He also thanked the Patriots for giving him his first NFL opportunity.

He's been spoiled going to all the Superbowls but I feel for the dude. Just like I feel for Cooks too. You dream of this day and you're a starter then it just gets yanked out from under you.

They said on ESPN butler played 97% of snaps in the regular season, the most on the team. Then to have this happen and genuinely not know why (not sure I believe that is the case) has to be difficult.

4 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

To make matters worse, Butler was taking snaps with the first team defense and Eric Rowe had no idea he was starting until before the game.  Something really weird went down here.

Yeah, if that's true that's very strange. I don't believe Butler when he says he has no idea. I thought that BB just decided during the two weeks that he was going to start Rowe. But if no one knew, there had to be an incident. And BB is NOT the kind of guy to make an example out of a guy who missed a meeting, he wants to win.

44 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yeah, if that's true that's very strange. I don't believe Butler when he says he has no idea. I thought that BB just decided during the two weeks that he was going to start Rowe. But if no one knew, there had to be an incident. And BB is NOT the kind of guy to make an example out of a guy who missed a meeting, he wants to win.

If he knew why would he cry on the sidelines during the anthem? He was told on the sideline and got emotional

8 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

Mike ReissVerified account @MikeReiss 11m11 minutes ago

Just caught up with a very emotional Malcolm Butler, alongside Adam Schefter. "They gave up on me. F—. It is what it is," Butler told us. http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0752017457484403644-4 

CB Butler on benching: Patriots 'gave up on me' 

"It was a coach's decision. ... I don't know what it was," an emotional Butler said as he walked toward the team buses with his family. "I guess I wasn't playing good. They didn't feel comfortable. I could have changed that game, though.

NBC asked Patriots coach Bill Belichick at halftime why Butler was not playing and reported that the coach said, "I made the decisions that give us the best chance to win."

hahahahahahaha   

Butler didn't travel with the team, and showed up a day late.  This is from last week:

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/20180131/malcolm-butler-rejoins-his-teammates-after-battling-illness

"Butler stayed back in Massachusetts when the team arrived earlier this week. After having flu-like symptoms, he visited a local area hospital multiple times before getting clearance to join his teammates out north."

Really?!? He had to visit a local hospital MULTIPLE times and then got clearance to join his team?  And he got clearance by who, the Pats doctor or the ER doctor? 

"Butler wouldn’t confirm if he had a chance to ride in the Patriots team plane by himself."

This makes no sense.  I speculate he "couldn't confirm" as opposed to "wouldn't confirm", as I don't believe he ever got permission from the team medical staff.   If that's the case, then he got benched for the SB because of his own actions.

Edited by napmaster