Should we throw Peterman on the trash heap for 1 bad outing?

Sky Diver

33 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yes, the questions about him coming out were arm, strength, accuracy and his play under pressure. It appears that those issues were way understated. If he was in this draft he wouldn’t be drafted knowing what we know now. Trade up for your guy and sign a bridge veteran. There is no reason to keep NP around as the distant #3 that will never see the field. If you want to slide him to the PS fine. He’s a dime a dozen guy.

POINT. SET.  MATCH.  I simply don't understand why so many fans act as if this kid is something more than what he's shown.   The guy was a fifth round draft pick for the very basic reason that he lacks most of the physical traits necessary for an NFL QB, and there's no way that he's going to change his arm strength or other physical shortcomings.   His ceiling has always been modest backup at best, and he hasn't demonstrated that he's likely to be even that good. 

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I guess for me I’d be fine with Taylor at $18M instead of Bradford at $20M + $8M of dead money. I want the Bills to be smart. I think that the trade up for a day 1 guy and then a serviceable backup like Siemian makes the most sense.

You and I differ. I want him gone. Money spent on a qb who can't run a pro offense is wasted money. I don't see Bradford getting a $20 M contract. As far as the Taylor dead money I rather eat it and move on. If you can't run a pro offense you shouldn't be a starter. I agree with you that Siemian is a serviceable backup. I would rather have him be the starter (short term) over Taylor. I can't tolerate watching such a primitive passing offense in a passing league. It's hideous to watch. 

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

You and I differ. I want him gone. Money spent on a qb who can't run a pro offense is wasted money. I don't see Bradford getting a $20 M contract. As far as the Taylor dead money I rather eat it and move on. If you can't run a pro offense you shouldn't be a starter. I agree with you that Siemian is a serviceable backup. I would rather have him be the starter (short term) over Taylor. I can't tolerate watching such a primitive passing offense in a passing league. It's hideous to watch. 

Taylor ran a "pro offense" in 2015 and 2016 when the Bills had an OC who gave the Bills a "pro offense".   The "primitive passing offense" was courtesy of Dennison's failings as well as the stupid personnel decisions made by the Bills FO in shipping out all of the Bills starting WRs from 2015 and 2016 as well as letting Gillislee leave, too.

Just watch the tape of that entire game. Our offensive line was a complete and utter disgrace and probably the worst game they played all year. Yes Nate Peterman had a bad game and 3 of the interceptions were totally on him. But I believe he will improve he may not be a starter but he'll be a very good backup. He will need to build up his arm strength and velocity just like a pitcher.

42 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

He can move in the pocket and is fairly mobile. The problem is in the SD game was that he immediately had a defensive lineman in his face on a number of plays.

The college game is simply not the same. Defenses are much faster and more complex. There is a reason why so many QBs who excel in college fail miserably in the pro game.

A record setting 5 ints in a single half should be enough to tell you that he needs a lot of development time. That Chargers game was a Geno Smith-like display of talent :lol::lol:

Are NFL teams obligated to give a 5th rounder as much slack as some poster here are asking for?  Remember Brian Brohm and how a number of folks here kept stating that he had not yet received a fair shot ?           I would think that NFL coaches see enough in practice and actual games to make a decision on whether or not someone is worth keeping.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

No one. Cut him and place him on the practice squad.  Three QBs is a waste on the 53. 

Most teams have 3 QB's. 

55 minutes ago, GG said:

If your QB can't consistently hit a simple out pattern without risking a pick 6, that's not a bad 1-game outing.  That's fatal.   Unless he can improve on that, he's toast.

Or just don't throw that pass.  I never really understood the purpose of that pass since it rarely gains a lot of yards and usually leads to an incompletion at best and pick-6 at worst.

Oh and Ramsey interfered and didn't actually catch the pass.  But I'd still never let him throw it again anyway.

49 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Joe Webb

So re-sign Webb?  Maybe.  But I'd still have him, Peterman, a bridge QB and a rookie in camp.

Just now, Doc said:

Most teams have 3 QB's. 

Or just don't throw that pass.  I never really understood the purpose of that pass since it rarely gains a lot of yards and usually leads to an incompletion at best and pick-6 at worst.

Oh and Ramsey interfered and didn't actually catch the pass.  But I'd still never let him throw it again anyway.

So re-sign Webb?  Maybe.  But I'd still have him, Peterman, a bridge QB and a rookie in camp.

Incorrect!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/09/03/majority-of-the-league-going-with-just-two-quarterbacks/

Not because of one bad outing. And we are not throwing him in a trash heap. But, no there is zero reason to have faith in him for the long term.

There is a reason why he went in he fifth round. Arm strength and quality of experience were serious question marks, and he was supposed to maybe have a glimmer of hope with his excellent decision making and ability to read a defense pre-snap.

So far, his weaknesses have been worse than anticipated. His supposed strengths have been even worse than that. I know that not every pick in the Chargers game was his fault, but the sheer number of them has shown that he doesn't make good decisions. I know the Jacksonville INT should have come back, but even that was underthrown and had zero chance of getting to the WR, never mind a good decision considering how tight the coverage was.

Like I've said in other threads, when the best game of his career so far is a 50% completion rate for 57 yards, it is time to look elsewhere.

• Thank you (+1) 1

IMO he will compete next year for the starting spot with hopefully a high drafted QB prospect and a vet like Sam Bradford. He has a year of experience now some time to at least show your worthy of being the backup. If he can't do that then its on him for not progressing not a bad game.

Just now, corta765 said:

IMO he will compete next year for the starting spot with hopefully a high drafted QB prospect and a vet like Sam Bradford. He has a year of experience now some time to at least show your worthy of being the backup. If he can't do that then its on him for not progressing not a bad game.

He'd be competing for a roster spot under a scenario like that.