Lance Zierlein (NFL.com) has started publishing scouting reports on all the prospects

DCOrange

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-grade

The scouting reports are always a nice read. There are some guys that are missing at the moment (off the top of my head, I noticed Rosen and Ronald Jones aren't included yet), but for now, their big board is:

1. Saquon Barkley

2. Quenton Nelson

3. Tremaine Edmunds

4. Bradley Chubb

5. Sam Darnold

6. Calvin Ridley

7. Da'Ron Payne

8. Roquon Smith

9. Vita Vea

10. Minkah Fitzpatrick

And so far, the QBs are graded, in order (projected draft range in parentheses):

1. Darnold (top 3)

2. Lamar (1st round)

3. Mayfield (1st round)

4. Allen (1st round)

5. Falk (3rd-4th)

6. Rudolph (2nd-3rd, has the same grade as Falk but higher projection)

7. Mike White (6th-7th)

8. Riley Ferguson (5th-6th, don't ask how he has a lower grade but higher projection compared to White)

9. Kurt Benkert (6th-7th)

10. Jeremiah Briscoe (7th-Undrafted)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, H2o said:

He must have forgotten about Rosen. 

There's still some missing prospects; he hasn't had a chance to publish a grade on everyone yet. I'm certain Rosen will be one of the top 3 (I'm guessing 1st) QBs once he's added in.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Grab whoever is there at 21 and pick up white in the 3rd or 4th. Pick up a journeyman who is a good coach/ mentor and groom baby groom. 

Move peterman to Practice squad. 

Rudolph or Falk is who I'd be targeting if we can't get Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield.  I don't want Allen at all.

• Like (+1) 1

One thing I will also say too is with the 2nd tier guys, if it were me, and if I didn't feel that I'm getting an upgrade over Nathan Peterman, then I wouldn't take them.  Just use the pick to fill another position.  To me, that's the key.  If you cannot land one of the top guys, I don't think it is worthwhile to take a QB unless you feel you are getting someone who is an upgrade over Peterman.  I would not take anyone in rd 2-4 unless they are a Peterman upgrade, who we took in rd 5.  

This is why we might be more inclined to trade up if someone drops rather than sit still.  At this point I only see Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield as significant upgrades over Peterman.  I think Falk and Rudolph MIGHT be upgrades, but by how much.  Falk has some frame issues and Zerlien is correct in him taking a beating.  That showed this year as he played the majority of the season with a broken wrist, which impacted his throwing mechanics and decision making.

Edited by NewEraBills
  • Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I'd take a shot on Allen, Mayfield, or Jackson if they fall to 21.  Too many warts for them to go higher than that but that won't stop someone from reaching.  I'd trade up for for Darnold.  Not sure I trust Rosen enough to trade up for him. 

No offence but I've seen too many 6'5" QB's who can throw 100 yards from their knees crash and burn in the NFL.   Mayfield would be interesting but pass on Allen and Jackson.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Ican see the thing on Allen. The more of him I see the more I think of Ryan Mallet or maybe Cardale Jones. 

So if we think Allen is going to be like Mallet or Jones we should run away screaming. Please God No!!!

32 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I'd take a shot on Allen, Mayfield, or Jackson if they fall to 21.  Too many warts for them to go higher than that but that won't stop someone from reaching.  I'd trade up for for Darnold.  Not sure I trust Rosen enough to trade up for him. 

I agree with taking any of those three at 21 or 22 (doesn't really matter) - would be interesting to see what the Bills would do trade-wise if two of those three were there for their picks.  I think the Bills have an interesting situation with consecutive picks and two coveted QBs on the board - they could hold one of those guys for the highest ransom while not having to deal while being on the clock.  Highly unlikely that two much less one will be there at 21, though.

I wouldn't move up for Darnold or Rosen - too much to give up for too little in my opinion.

Edited by Ayjent

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Allen showed really nice touch on some throws at the Senior Bowl.  He definitely has a high risk of being a bust, but he also has the potential to be a top 5 QB.  I'd rather take a chance on those guys than somebody whose upside is the next Fitzpatrick if you hit on the pick.  

I wouldn't take the comparisons too literally.  I pay more attention to the strengths and weaknesses and then go back and look for myself.  Sometimes I can see exactly what he's talking about.  Sometimes, I see something that he may have missed.  That's why it's always good to have more than one set of eyes.

I have started piecing together a board after this past weekend when I finally caught up a bit on some of the top non Qb prospects. My top 5 as of today (still very much subject to change) is:

1. Bradley Chubb

2. Josh Rosen

3. Minkah Fitzpatrick

4. Roquan Smith

5. Quenten Nelson

Barkley is currently 6th on my board which is the lowest I have seen anyone have him.