Bills still making Bad Contract decisions

MAJBobby

You won me over Eric Wood played 4000 consecutive snaps, 100% of the snaps for 56 consecutive games then suffered a non reoccurring injury on a fluke accident. The Bills should have known he was injury prone. That is why the packers will move on from  Aaron Rogers this year,he’s old and has had two broken bones.

8 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

You won me over Eric Wood played 4000 consecutive snaps, 100% of the snaps for 56 consecutive games then suffered a non reoccurring injury on a fluke accident. The Bills should have known he was injury prone. That is why the packers will move on from  Aaron Rogers this year,he’s old and has had two broken bones.

Apples and Oranges yet again. Again without looking NE and Phillys starting centers

One thing is for sure fans would make Horrible GMs they get to emotionally tied to a player. 

Should have let him play his contract out. You already had a suitable replacement in Groy at 1/4th the cost.  With no drop in production from the Position. 

Edited by MAJBobby

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Apples and Oranges yet again. 

Cool come back. Guy plays 100% of snaps before a d line man rolls up his leg and you think that he should be seen as injury prone. That is a rediculous take. Especially because that leg injury has nothing to do with his neck. 

9 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Apples and Oranges yet again. Again without looking NE and Phillys starting centers

One thing is for sure fans would make Horrible GMs they get to emotionally tied to a player. 

Should have let him play his contract out. You already had a suitable replacement in Groy at 1/4th the cost.  With no drop in production from the Position. 

Wood’s contract was commiserate with his contributions on the field. And even if there were no drop in production, debatable, there would be a noteable drop off in depth on the oline. 

12 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

Cool come back. Guy plays 100% of snaps before a d line man rolls up his leg and you think that he should be seen as injury prone. That is a rediculous take. Especially because that leg injury has nothing to do with his neck. 

Your the one trying to compare a Franchise QB vs a Center. 

Guy also only finished three full seasons in an 8 year career. 

8 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

Wood’s contract was commiserate with his contributions on the field. And even if there were no drop in production, debatable, there would be a noteable drop off in depth on the oline. 

So INJ guarantees in Next year AFTER giving him a bonus are commiserate with what he did in the field in 2016? 

23 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

That they extended Wood makes me think they don't share that sentiment.  If they don't add a new center, I hope they were wrong. 

1 minute ago, Doc said:

That they extended Wood makes me think they don't share that sentiment.  If they don't add a new center, I hope they were wrong. 

Yet they Match a RFA offersheet says they do value Groy. But again the extension isnt to big of a deal (still didnt like it) to me as the structure of it. 

Edited by MAJBobby

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Yet they Match a RFA offersheet says they do value Groy. But again the extension isnt to big of a deal (still didnt like it) to me as the structure of it. 

They matched an offer to keep him as a backup C.  Far cry from thinking he was a suitable replacement as a starter.

9 hours ago, row_33 said:

The Pats have built a dynasty off great signings of castoffs and short-term projects, not many are going to the Hall besides #12, 10 years from now most fans won't be able to name 10 players that Brady had around him to win.

Yeah, remember in their earlier days they had a mediocre wide receiver named Troy Brown, who always seemed to make big plays?   He even volunteered one year to play DB when they had some injuries.  Not a great talent but a team player that made contributions to thir success.

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

They matched an offer to keep him as a backup C.  Far cry from thinking he was a suitable replacement as a starter.

It good. As i said you all liked the extension and think it was smart and good value. 

I think opposite (specifically the Structure in terms of Guarantees)

End of the day paying 8+M against the cap for a player NOT playing for the Buffalo Bills. What a GREAT ROI that is. 

Edited by MAJBobby

11 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Your the one trying to compare a Franchise QB vs a Center. 

Guy also only finished three full seasons in an 8 year career. 

So INJ guarantees in Next year AFTER giving him a bonus are commiserate with what he did in the field in 2016? 

He played at a pro bowl level in 2015, was playing as well in 2016 before suffering a freak injury. Until that freak accident he had the active record for most consecutive starts by a center. So yes the inj guarantee was  appropriate. It is standard in veteran contracts unless there is reason to believe that previous injuries pose a risk of future injuries. 

Beane's & McDermott's comments post press conference were illuminating.   If the contract situation was cut & dried, Wood would be off the roster.  But for whatever reasons, he's still on the team despite announcing his retirement, and they went out of the way to say that he's still on the team.  I don't recall any other retirements being spun that way.

Beane hinted that the reason he's still on the team is for cap reasons, and a reasonable bet is they're negotiating either the guarantee or paying back some of the bonus. 

Just now, Batman1876 said:

He played at a pro bowl level in 2015, was playing as well in 2016 before suffering a freak injury. Until that freak accident he had the active record for most consecutive starts by a center. So yes the inj guarantee was  appropriate. It is standard in veteran contracts unless there is reason to believe that previous injuries pose a risk of future injuries. 

3 years out of 8 he was healthy. Really the aiNJ guarantee was appropriate. What kind of crack is that

Just now, GG said:

Beane's & McDermott's comments post press conference were illuminating.   If the contract situation was cut & dried, Wood would be off the roster.  But for whatever reasons, he's still on the team despite announcing his retirement, and they went out of the way to say that he's still on the team.  I don't recall any other retirements being spun that way.

Beane hinted that the reason he's still on the team is for cap reasons, and a reasonable bet is they're negotiating either the guarantee or paying back some of the bonus. 

It is cut and dry. They will lose any effort to recoup any money UNLESS they can prove this was a cumulative issue and not caused by a week 5 stinger 

Just now, MAJBobby said:

It good. As i said you all liked the extension and think it was smart and good value. 

I think opposite (specifically the Structure in terms of Guarantees)

End of the day paying 8+M against the cap for a player NOT playing for the Buffalo Bills 

I don't understand the 2018 salary guarantee.  That's why I'm not fully convinced that he'll get both the salary and unamortized SB.  I know what's been written so I'll just say we'll see.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

I don't understand the 2018 salary guarantee.  That's why I'm not fully convinced that he'll get both the salary and unamortized SB.  I know what's been written so I'll just say we'll see.

4.8 Million guaranteed for INJ. He is INJ he gets it. 

4.3 bonus was already Paid at signing. So he already got that money

Edited by MAJBobby

1 minute ago, GG said:

I don't ever recall a player retiring before the season wass completely over before.  And the issue is that the Bills rolled their cap surplus from this year over to next year before Wood decided to retire.  They literally can't let him retire now because they'd be over the cap.  So they have to carry him until June 1st.

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

3 years out of 8 he was healthy. Really the aiNJ guarantee was appropriate. What kind of crack is that

It is cut and dry. They will lose any effort to recoup any money UNLESS they can prove this was a cumulative issue and not caused by a week 5 stinger 

That's why it's NOT cut and dry.  If it was, he'd be off the roster today. 

4 minutes ago, GG said:

That's why it's NOT cut and dry.  If it was, he'd be off the roster today. 

And accelerate 10M in dead Money

by waiting to June 1 dead this year is 8M. 

It is very cut ans dry unless Bills want to fight and say he hid this injury from them when signing the extension 

here would be the Dead Cap if he announced he is retired Today

Spotrac (@spotrac)
Assuming Eric Wood’s unfortunate neck injury stems from football (likely), the #Bills will also be on the hook for his $4.8M 2018 salary, raising the total dead cap hit to $10,391,668.

By waiting until June 1 they reduce that number by 2.1 or making his 2018 dead money 8.2M. 

Coincidently 2.1M will be roughly the cap hit of pick 21 in this years draft. 

Edited by MAJBobby

6 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

4.8 Million guaranteed for INJ. He is INJ he gets it. 

4.3 bonus was already Paid at signing. So he already has that for these purposes it is just lowering cap hit accounting. Hence the 8+ in dead money

I got all that.  What I'm saying is that he has an injury which gets him salary for 2018, but it's also the reason he's retiring.  Yet he gets to keep his unamortized SB.  Seems like double-dipping to me. 

Then again, maybe that's the way contracts are being done now?  In which case you can't fault the Bills for the contract.

Edited by Doc

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

And accelerate 10M in dead Money

by waiting to June 1 dead this year is 8M. 

It is very cut ans dry unless Bills want to fight and say he hid this injury from them when signing the extension 

here would be the Dead Cap if he announced he is retired Today

Spotrac (@spotrac)
Assuming Eric Wood’s unfortunate neck injury stems from football (likely), the #Bills will also be on the hook for his $4.8M 2018 salary, raising the total dead cap hit to $10,391,668.

That's the cap hit for the 2018 season.   The dead cap hit now is $14 million, that's why he needs to stay on the roster.  But it also highlights the risk they took by guaranteeing the '18 salary for injury.   

Injury guarantees are common unless your injury history includes things that are likely to reoccur. Eric’s injuries did not fit into that category. A broken leg is not reoccurring it heals and goes away. His knee injuries were not reoccurring. There was therefore no medical reason to conclude he was at an elevated risk for future injuries and as a result the standard injury guarantee was written in. 

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

I got all that.  What I'm saying is that he has an injury which gets him salary for 2018, but it's also the reason he's retiring.  Yet he gets to keep his unamortized SB.  Seems like double-dipping to me. 

Then again, maybe that's the way contracts are being done now?  In which case you can't fault the Bills for the contract.

Yes only time you lose your Bonus is if you retire on your Own Calvin Johnson or Willis etc. get in trouble. Or a Non Football Injury

If you have to retire because you are no longer medically cleared for football because of a football related inj you get to keep your bonus 

2 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

Injury guarantees are common unless your injury history includes things that are likely to reoccur. Eric’s injuries did not fit into that category. A broken leg is not reoccurring it heals and goes away. His knee injuries were not reoccurring. There was therefore no medical reason to conclude he was at an elevated risk for future injuries and as a result the standard injury guarantee was written in. 

100 percent false 

the Bills are one of the teams that continually shoot themselves in the foot with no protections for the team

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Let him play his contract out. Go to Combine gauge market and sign to an extension before UFA. 

Just like they did with InCognito. 

Fact is at the time of the extension he was coming off IR and only was able to start in 16 games 3 of 8 years in the league. 

Trolls because I question some idiotic decisions?

Again you are talking in hindsight. 

Cogs was never a drafted Bill and so he has to be treated differently. 

Wood’s contract is 2 years. 

He has been a major anchor on our line. 

Good player. Gets a minor reward. 

You would be the the same person moaning about why we didn’t lock him up earlier when he finished all 16 games and signed a big free agent contract with whomever. 

9 minutes ago, GG said:

That's the cap hit for the 2018 season.   The dead cap hit now is $14 million, that's why he needs to stay on the roster.  But it also highlights the risk they took by guaranteeing the '18 salary for injury.   

If he announced retirement today. Filed paper today the Bills dead cap would be a little over 10M

waiting until june 1st they reduce that number for this year but also then carry a 2019 dead cap number 

6 minutes ago, Bakin said:

Again you are talking in hindsight. 

Cogs was never a drafted Bill and so he has to be treated differently. 

Wood’s contract is 2 years. 

He has been a major anchor on our line. 

Good player. Gets a minor reward. 

You would be the the same person moaning about why we didn’t lock him up earlier when he finished all 16 games and signed a big free agent contract with whomever. 

I am talking about going into a negotiation with a player that has finished a total of 3 seasons out of 8 as a 16 game season due to Injuries. Same time coming off IR. And you do not protect yourself against the Risk. 

And you give him a Bonus this year and Guarantee this year and Guarantee 4.8 next year for INJ. 

Fact it you paid 16M in to a player and what was your return. Or ROI

again i dont care who drafted the player means NADA to me. They are assets. That is what a GM is an asset manager. Detach your emotions on the player and tell me this was good asset management. 

Call that thinking cold and dickish thats fine. But the more teams front offices that think that way the better that specific team is. (Also helps of course to have a top end QB). 

Edited by MAJBobby

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

If he announced retirement today. Filed paper today the Bills dead cap would be a little over 10M

waiting until june 1st they reduce that number for this year but also then carry a 2019 dead cap number 

I am talking about going into a negotiation with a player that has finished a total of 3 seasons out of 8 as a 16 game season due to Injuries. Same time coming off IR. And you do not protect yourself against the Risk. 

And you give him a Bonus this year and Guarantee this year and Guarantee 4.8 next year for INJ. 

You are talking about signing a guy off a free agent contract to a hometown discount deal (Cogs) vs paying a first round draft pick who had started all 16 games in 3 of the previous 4 seasons and has been an anchor on the line since Day 1. 

Other than a catastrophically shocking end to his career, what else did you predict?

you know how contracts work, right?

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Yes only time you lose your Bonus is if you retire on your Own Calvin Johnson or Willis etc. get in trouble. Or a Non Football Injury

If you have to retire because you are no longer medically cleared for football because of a football related inj you get to keep your bonus 

100 percent false 

the Bills are one of the teams that continually shoot themselves in the foot with no protections for the team

Can you point me to anything th

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

again i dont care who drafted the player means NADA to me. They are assets. That is what a GM is an asset manager. Detach your emotions on the player and tell me this was good asset management 

What you continually disregard is the fact that when they signed the contract he had no elevated risk of being injured you can throw around your out of context 3 of 8 but it is irealevant two broken legs and two fully healed knee injuries, all non reoccurring.  Can you tell me what a broken leg or a torn MCL has to do with a damaged neck.the answer is nothing. 

4 minutes ago, Bakin said:

You are talking about signing a guy off a free agent contract to a hometown discount deal (Cogs) vs paying a first round draft pick who had started all 16 games in 3 of the previous 4 seasons and has been an anchor on the line since Day 1. 

Other than a catastrophically shocking end to his career, what else did you predict?

you know how contracts work, right?

I am talking about managing an asset that is coming off IR and had had three full healthy seasons in 8 years. 

They should have let him play his contract out and approach him at combine just like they did with Cogs when his extension was due. 

6 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

Can you point me to anything th

What you continually disregard is the fact that when they signed the contract he had no elevated risk of being injured you can throw around your out of context 3 of 8 but it is irealevant two broken legs and two fully healed knee injuries, all non reoccurring.  Can you tell me what a broken leg or a torn MCL has to do with a damaged neck.the answer is nothing. 

So its all good sign all players that are 30 plus in a violent position that hat had 3 healthy seasons to extensions with future years INJ Guarantees. Yep thats Smart 

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I was going to comment but review of the thread makes it clear the OP has no interest in fact

Ahhh so got nothing to say??

what fact i am posting facts 

was he coming off IR?

how many seasons before extension did he play all 16?

did they not have a replacement they matched a RFA offer from another team to keep?

was he not already on contract for 2017?

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

If you ae going to use Spotrac, then be consistent.  This is still the 2017 league year, and Wood's dead cap hit in '17 is $14 million, while Bills only have $10 million in cap space left.  McDermott was very evasive when he was asked whether they're negotiating a settlement with Wood.

3 minutes ago, GG said:

If you ae going to use Spotrac, then be consistent.  This is still the 2017 league year, and Wood's dead cap hit in '17 is $14 million, while Bills only have $10 million in cap space left.  McDermott was very evasive when he was asked whether they're negotiating a settlement with Wood.

Yeah my bad. I am just assuming paperwork wouldnt be filed until the new league year anyway. Seeing his or the Bills year is over and everything frozen at this point from what i think i know about the CBA. 

Thats what makes this entire press conference thing stupid because player can say he is retired all he wants however isnt until he files paperwork and the team moves him to the reserve retired list. 

It does seem to me at this point Bills are gonna go after something (this is just me speculating)

Edited by MAJBobby

31 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

Makes sense. It amazes me how many folks seem to think foresight is 20/20 like hindsight. For the people busting the Bills balls, they must live life making 100% correct decisions...ya know... being able to see the future and all lol

32 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

100 percent false 

Yeah, I can understand the team looking at salary cap implications and it's not my money, but I think going after bonus money already paid to the player is tacky.

13 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I am talking about managing an asset that is coming off IR and had had three full healthy seasons in 8 years. 

They should have let him play his contract out and approach him at combine just like they did with Cogs when his extension was due. 

So its all good sign all players that are 30 plus in a violent position that hat had 3 healthy seasons to extensions with future years INJ Guarantees. Yep thats Smart 

was he coming off IR?

did they not have a replacement they matched a RFA offer from another team to keep?

Complain all you want it is the way things are done now. Julian Edelman missed game time due to injury in 6 of his 8 seasons. Then in June the Pats extended him then in August he was out for the season and the Pats were on the hook for 8 mil in dead cap. If Wood was on IR for tearing his ACL for the 5th time in 8 seasons you’d have a point. But the way the Bills treat non reoccurring injuries is common now. 

4 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

So its Smart signing a over 30 year old Center that has had INJ history (9 year career and 4 years this year being one with all 16 games played) so in more than half of his career he has missed games due to INJ and extension that Guarantees his pay 2 years down the line for INJ?  Wow

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WoodEr20.htm

Games played -

9 (broken leg)

If my math is correct, that's 122 out of a possible 144 games played. At one of the toughest, most repetitively violent positions on the field. 

You look at his career games played and see a frequently injured player.

i look at those numbers and see this - 

He had consistently started the full 16 games in 3 of the last 4 seasons before the extension (4 of the last 5 if you count this year), and started 14 or more games in 4 of the last 5 seasons before the extension (5 of the last 6 if you count this year). He missed 2 or less games in 6 of his 9 years. 

I would say that he has been a pretty reliable player for us, especially these last 6 years.

How many NFL players never miss any time to injury? 

Was Eric Wood really injured more frequently than most NFL players? 

If you never signed a guy who had previously been injured, you wouldn't be able to field a team. 

And a broken leg is a freak thing and isn't considered something that puts you at future risk of injury, as the fracture site is no more or less likely to breaking again. It heals with equal strength to before the break. 

You can't predict when some freak injury is going to happen in the NFL, and none of his previous injuries had anything to do with this current injury in any way. 

Also, I believe the average age of retirement for NFL linemen is 35 (32-38). 

Eric Wood has just turned 31 in March. The Bills only gave him a 2 year contract extension. That's a very reasonable number of years and he could have most likely got more term in free agency. There was absolutely no reason to think that he couldn't play until he was 33. He wasn't really showing signs of slowing down and had only missed more than 2 games once in the last 5 years before the extension.

None of his previous injuries had ever been career threatening either. So there was no reason to think that he was at higher risk for a career ending injury than any other NFL player. 

Last thing - do you know how common injury guarantees are for established/veteran NFL starters?  I haven't looked it up but I'd bet it's pretty common. I bet it's even more common for guys considered at the top 10-15 starters at their position in the NFL, and when you add in guys with multiple pro bowl appearances and other honors I bet the numbers go up even further. 

Edited by BillsFan4

45 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

was he coming off IR?

MAJBobby, I think you do make some fair points.

But this is hindsight now, and it's of course easier to speak after the fact.

Question, and answer it honestly.

When the Bills gave him a 2 year extension, were you mad about the contract at that time?

10 hours ago, row_33 said:

Yes, the Pats have made a few bad contract decisions over the Brady era.

That means the Bills have been just fine.

:wacko::wacko::wacko:

I enjoy having people in my life who quote "hindsight 20/20" every time a mistake is brought up, what psychotic complex is going through their souls....

I generally assume people writing off poor draft decisions with the "20/20 hindsight" line suffer from mild mental retardation, because the primary job of those selecting picks is to have foresight, and the only way to evaluate their performance is to see what their picks do on the field. But cervical disc problems are not really foreseeable unless there was some prior indication of the injury.

9 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

MAJBobby, I think you do make some fair points.

But this is hindsight now, and it's of course easier to speak after the fact.

Question, and answer it honestly.

When the Bills gave him a 2 year extension, were you mad about the contract at that time?

Yes i was. I thought the contract was not needed and for a player coming off IR in a new system they smart move would have been let him play it out and approach in the offseason. 

Everything screamed let him play it out and approach in offseason ala Cogs. That is proper asset management. 

But Bills tend to rush their contracts when there is sero need to rush. What was the rush with Eric this past camp?

Edited by MAJBobby