Your favorite LARGE (i.e. nationwide or international) American corporation

2 hours ago, teef said:

my wife's parents absolutely love costco.  if there was one a bit closer to me, i'd be a member.  i think i hear about that place once a week.  

my favorite larger corps are wegmans, (even though it's over priced) and home depot, (always thought they were great in the customer service dept).

out of all larger corps, i absolutely can't stand uhaul, but i think that's another thread.

Home Depot? If you know what your doing and can go in, get your item a d get out it's fine, but never ask one of their experts/pros for help figuring something out (aside from "where do you keep this product"). It's funny how many builders and contractors I run into that tell me " well that's the product the person at home depot told me I needed". That's great, you trusted someone with less experience in the industry then you tell you what you should be using. Also many of the items they sell (at least up here in Canada) that aren't tested or approved to be used under the building code

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

Uber. 

Aside from giving drunks a cheap and convenient ride home, it is providing jobs/opportunities for people in poor countries and all sorts of economic situations.

have you traveled much?  

In Lima Peru circa 1995 any one could put a TAXI sign in the windshield and offer you a ride.   I guess Uber is 2 decades late.

Image result for taxi lima peru    Image result for taxi lima peru  

Oh and those 2 bugs were not the worst of the lot I came across.  

18 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

have you traveled much?  

In Lima Peru circa 1995 any one could put a TAXI sign in the windshield and offer you a ride.   I guess Uber is 2 decades late.

So....your point to me is that taxis have existed? I wasn't aware we had such an accomplished world traveler in our midst.

If you're going to go down this road (pun intended), let us know how those compare to the level of organization, accountability, and dependability that Uber provides for those people. Everyone involved, really.

Obviously, I know you can't. It's mostly rhetorical. Feel free to give it your best shot, though.

How many people are employed by the company who offered those rotted out bugs? What's their scale of operation?

?

49 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

have you traveled much?  

if you ever step foot into one of these cars in another country, you deserve the raping you are bound to receive.  

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Wacka said:

Apple. Quality cutting edge products and great service. 

I would have have said this some time ago but now they are just another big Company. I fear they and Google may control too much data on all of us. 

As as for the point of this thread I would say that Netflix is a cool company because they have fundamentally changed how we consume entertainment. 

43 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

So....your point to me is that taxis have existed? I wasn't aware we had such an accomplished world traveler in our midst.

If you're going to go down this road (pun intended), let us know how those compare to the level of organization, accountability, and dependability that Uber provides for those people. Everyone involved, really.

Obviously, I know you can't. It's mostly rhetorical. Feel free to give it your best shot, though.

How many people are employed by the company who offered those rotted out bugs? What's their scale of operation?

?

No, I was referring to the Uber being big to you.    From what I heard Uber is quite expensive.  (which may or may not be true) 

again the "people in poor countries" have been doing this for decades.  Uber has nothing to do with it.  

Uber. 

Aside from giving drunks a cheap and convenient ride home, it is providing jobs/opportunities for people in poor countries and all sorts of economic situations.

19 minutes ago, teef said:

if you ever step foot into one of these cars in another country, you deserve the raping you are bound to receive.  

I avoided them at all costs.   One VW had both front wheels pointing at different angles.   

I only took a taxi when I was with the representative of the local company I was working through.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

i'm going to give a follow up story on my choice of home depot.  

we're redoing a bathroom in our house, and we found a perfect double vanity on line.  fortunately we were able to order it on the home depot website, and for customer service reasons, we did.  well, they delivered it on friday, with a fractured sink, and a gash out of the center console, which wouldn't be seen.  the depot used a private delivery company, and the guy told me the palate turned over while taking a turn.  of course we bought the last one in stock, and loved this one enough to not return it.  i opened all the boxes, figured out what was broken, (just the center console and sink) and spent about an hour at home depot trying to figure it out.  

the woman who helped me was amazing, but because it was sunday, they couldn't contact the manufacture to see if parts were available, so they had to call today.  no big deal right?  well the woman who was helping me also tells me it's her last day, and that she would have to pass it along to someone else to problem solve. at this point i figured i was screwed, and would have to waste a major amount of time with this.  well...about an hour ago i got a call from the manager that took the complaint over.  they called the manufacture who is sending new parts and touch up paint.  on top of that, they had already credited me back 15% for the hassle, (a piece is still nicked up).  not bad home  depot...not bad.

In the grand scheme of things Uber isn't really all that expensive... most cities have a minimum fare for a ride and it varies quite a bit depending on where you are. In Tampa I think the base is $6.70 or so. For a 6 mile ride it is between $10-$11... not bad at all if you absolutely have to get somewhere. Plus, if you are out drinking that $11 is cheap compared to the thousands a Dui will set you back.

My shout out is to Google, not necessarily for searching the internet for stuff... but the Google Maps app on my phone. That app has gotten me out of a lot of trouble throughout the years especially in states/cities that I had no Idea of how to get from A to B. 

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

No, I was referring to the Uber being big to you.    From what I heard Uber is quite expensive.  (which may or may not be true) 

again the "people in poor countries" have been doing this for decades.  Uber has nothing to do with it.  

It's got everything to do with the accessibility of that venture. That's why its made a difference. 

It's got everything to do with the accessibility of that venture. That's why its made a difference. 

14 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I'm seeing double.

I get it.  To me, its not a novel idea    Sorry. 

The uber of 76 - 86 

Gas Grass or ass! No one rides for Free.   

I don't think you understand what Uber is.   And they've had unlicensed taxis in NYC and other rich places for decades too.

Yes, Uber and Lyft are my favorites;  best invention in a long time.  I don't care how many stupid things the ex-CEO said or did.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Wacka said:

Apple. Quality cutting edge products and great service. 

I love Apple. They come up with great product ideas. Then Samsung takes the idea, makes it work even better, and sells it for a fraction of the price.

Just now, KD in CA said:

I don't think you understand what Uber is.   And they've had unlicensed taxis in NYC and other rich places for decades too.

Yes, Uber and Lyft are my favorites;  best invention in a long time.  I don't care how many stupid things the ex-CEO said or did.

Which one do you like better? I've only used Uber. Pricing basically the same?

21 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I love Apple. They come up with great product ideas. Then Samsung takes the idea, makes it work even better, and sells it for a fraction of the price.

I hate Apple. They pawn off hardware (in their computers) that's a generation old at 3x the price of what you could reasonably expect to pay as a PC user.

They take advantage of computer-illiterates.

And LewPort...I'm a huge amazon guy, too.

30 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I said I get it.   

I see that  Uber was founded it Mar 2009.   Those free wheeling trash heap Taxis were operating in Peru a decade before.  1995.

in the early 80's I had this bumper sticker ---- 

Image result for grass gas or ass

Stick out a thumb and you got a ride.   

Maybe the Hippies of the 70's and 80's invented Uber and we just didn't know it.