The Giants and the #2 pick

21 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Yup. What team has gone 7-9, 8-8, and 9-7 in the last three seasons? Only one I can think of!

More seriously, it's less about them trading down in my view than them not taking a qb and going with Barkley.  The Colts strike me as the ideal trade candidate because they really need help on their front seven and it seems to me that the #21 and #22 slots are the sweet spot for front-seven talent depth in this draft. 

And if they need help on their front 7 which they do, then why not sit at 3 and take the best front seven player in the draft in Bradley Chubb?  You don't walk away from a difference maker like Chubb for quantity.

2 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

And if they need help on their front 7 which they do, then why not sit at 3 and take the best front seven player in the draft in Bradley Chubb?  You don't walk away from a difference maker like Chubb for quantity.

That's a fair point. But they also need LBs and DTs. Players like Vita Vea, Da'Ron Payne, and Marcus Davenport can help any team out. Al Woods and Jonathan Hankins are JAGs. They need a lot of help. 

6 minutes ago, PIZ said:

Why wouldn't Cleveland take Barkley at #1 and then get a QB at #4?

After passing on Goff, Wentz, Trubisky, Watson,  and Mahomes the past two drafts, they better not get cute and instead just take who they see as the best QB prospect in '18. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Haha (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Yup. What team has gone 7-9, 8-8, and 9-7 in the last three seasons? Only one I can think of!

More seriously, it's less about them trading down in my view than them not taking a qb and going with Barkley.  The Colts strike me as the ideal trade candidate because they really need help on their front seven and it seems to me that the #21 and #22 slots are the sweet spot for front-seven talent depth in this draft. 

ironically, the Bills also really need help in the front seven and can address those needs with #21 and #22

49 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

. The one wild card is that I could see the Browns taking Barkley at #1 and then taking a qb at #4.

No way.   That would be idiotic.

QB is far more valuable and far more of a game changer than Barkley is likely to be assuming both Barkley and the QB you pick are as good as you hope.

If the Browns do that, they are completely insane.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PIZ said:

Why wouldn't Cleveland take Barkley at #1 and then get a QB at #4?

I could easily see them doing just that.

1. Browns - Barkley

2. Giants - Rosen

3. Colts - Chubb

4. Browns - Darnold or Allen

They get what could be the best player in the draft in Barkley and get a QB who hasn't said that he doesn't want to play for you, as Rosen has.

6 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

No way.   That would be idiotic.

QB is far more valuable and far more of a game changer than Barkley is likely to be assuming both Barkley and the QB you pick are as good as you hope.

If the Browns do that, they are completely insane.

Didn't see Dave's post about Barkley going 1 before I posted.

If they felt good about 3 of the QBs, then why would it be insane?  Maybe they think Barkley is a sure bet, and they could possibly get a vet like Cousins or trade for one like Alex Smith.

19 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

After passing on Goff, Wentz, Trubisky, Watson,  and Mahomes the past two drafts, they better not get cute and instead just take who they see as the best QB prospect in '18. 

Unless they get a vet via FA or trade.  Getting a quality vet QB (Cousins, Smith) + Barkley would get them on the right track.  Then get a QB in round 2, if they are not happy developing Kizer.  It would be the same strategy the Chargers used when they got Tomlinson in 1 and Brees in 2. 

24 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Yeah, I think they take a QB at one too, but I don't know their grades and they may think that the there are three guys who are all more or less the same. They have so many damn picks that they take Barkley at one and then trade back up from the #4 slot!

I think there will be 3-4 QBs picked top 5.  I'm not convinced anyone currently picking in the top 4 stays in those spots.

11 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Yeah, I think they take a QB at one too, but I don't know their grades and they may think that the there are three guys who are all more or less the same. They have so many damn picks that they take Barkley at one and then trade back up from the #4 slot!

Vontae Mack no matter what!

Edited by Chuck Wagon
  • Like (+1) 1

Here's the question you need to ask yourself...

Do the Giants value Saquan Barkley more than basically ANY OTHER PLAYER, PLUS an extra first round pick?

Because, I guarantee you the Broncos and Jets at pick 5 and 6 would trade an extra 2019 first rounder to move up to the #2 spot and take a QB. It would make sense for both sides and load up the Giants for years... plus they would still get the best player in the draft outside of Barkley and QB's, given Pick 1, 2, and like 3 or 4 would end up being a QB or Barkley.

15 minutes ago, PIZ said:

Didn't see Dave's post about Barkley going 1 before I posted.

If they felt good about 3 of the QBs, then why would it be insane?  Maybe they think Barkley is a sure bet, and they could possibly get a vet like Cousins or trade for one like Alex Smith.

If they get a veteran they are going all in on, then it negates their need for a drafted QB entirely.

My premise is being made under the assumption that they aren't going to get a franchise Vet QB before the draft.

If they don't get a franchise vet beforehand that they are "all in" on, then they are going to draft a QB with pick number 1.     If they don't they are insane unless they are very, very sure their QB is going to still be there at 4 or wherever they end up if they trade down from there.

5 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Here's the question you need to ask yourself...

Do the Giants value Saquan Barkley more than basically ANY OTHER PLAYER, PLUS an extra first round pick?

Because, I guarantee you the Broncos and Jets at pick 5 and 6 would trade an extra 2019 first rounder to move up to the #2 spot and take a QB. It would make sense for both sides and load up the Giants for years... plus they would still get the best player in the draft outside of Barkley and QB's, given Pick 1, 2, and like 3 or 4 would end up being a QB or Barkley.

Hard to say. This league is about difference makers, and the signs point to him being a big difference maker. I don't think Dallas has any regrets about drafting Elliott, and it is the case that the Giants' running game has been moribund for far too long. But to be fair, I don't know. I'm just reporting what I'm hearing here -- that the Giants love Barkley.  Plus I really do think that the Giants are in win-now mode. They are not your typical 3-13 team.

Edited by dave mcbride

59 minutes ago, PIZ said:

Unless they get a vet via FA or trade.  Getting a quality vet QB (Cousins, Smith) + Barkley would get them on the right track.  Then get a QB in round 2, if they are not happy developing Kizer.  It would be the same strategy the Chargers used when they got Tomlinson in 1 and Brees in 2. 

I wouldn't burn up my cap dollars on Cousins and Smith at 34 years old isn't a long term solution.   They are taking a 1st round QB as the owner and new GM Dorsey have stated getting as their #1 priority as soon as he was hired. Bills' fans keep trying to spin up scenarios that are most favorable to getting our shiny new QB with willing dance partners. 

Shurmur: Eli Manning's 'got years left' in his career

Shurmur was introduced as the Giants' new head coach on Friday by team co-owner John Mara. He made it clear rather quickly that he's not here to push Eli Manning out the door.

"I watched Eli throw a little bit over the summer and I walked away saying he looked really, really good," Shurmur said. "He looked fit. He was throwing the ball well. The ball had good velocity coming off his hands. Again, I think he's got years left. How much? I don't know. But I think he has time left and I look forward to working with him."

"I think what's important is we have a guy here who has helped this organization win Super Bowls. He's an outstanding player and I'm really looking forward to working with him."

The question came packaged with how the Manning decision would affect New York's draft strategy. On his first day, Shurmur was understandably noncommittal, saying he and the organization need to go through their evaluation processes before he could provide an adequate answer.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

100% agree. Been saying it for over a week now.... all the smoke from Gettleman is "our pick is available at the right price".

What GM doesn't say that or indicate that in order to get a sense of the market? If another team was willing to give up a boatload of high picks of course he would be willing to consider option B. If he believes that one or two qb prospects in this draft are going to be top shelf pros then he would be making a mistake (my opinion) not to select a qb. Another consideration is that it is rare for the Giants (as compared to the Browns) to enter the draft in such a lofty draft position. If not now then when?

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

What GM doesn't say that or indicate that in order to get a sense of the market? If another team was willing to give up a boatload of high picks of course he would be willing to consider option B. If he believes that one or two qb prospects in this draft are going to be top shelf pros then he would be making a mistake (my opinion) not to select a qb. Another consideration is that it is rare for the Giants (as compared to the Browns) to enter the draft in such a lofty draft position. If not now then when?

Shurmer has said Eli has plenty of years left today too. The Giants 1st choice is a trade down I am more and more convinced every day. Pick #2 is in play for Buffalo.