Eric Wood has career-ending neck injury; will retire

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...and at least he gets to end it walking off the field instead of a horrific in game injury.......Everett was tough enough..............and this kid has been a decade long warrior....BTW, I think you give Richie an extension especially with this news.....Groy is a capable replacement for Eric but we'll have to develop depth.........

I don't think you give Richie an extension. He has one more year left on his deal and he will enter the 2018 season 35 years old. I think at best he only has one more good season left. Keep him on the last year of his deal and draft a guard in round 4 to work behind him for a year. 

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

I don't think you give Richie an extension. He has one more year left on his deal and he will enter the 2018 season 35 years old. I think at best he only has one more good season left. Keep him on the last year of his deal and draft a guard in round 4 to work behind him for a year. 

...I'd grab him for one more year to help develop a kid(s)......he is still in top shape and is a major OL force........but differing opinions make it all work......

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...if, IF Meatball decides to retire, I say Eric & Kyle go up on the WOF in a dual ceremony........tough two find two better club leaders who have gutted it out through thick and thin (mostly thin) over the last decade IMO.......

I couldn't agree more. Both grinders and leaders during some very tough seasons. I think 95 will be calling it also. Going to miss them both, just like when Fred left.

6 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I couldn't agree more. Both grinders and leaders during some very tough seasons. I think 95 will be calling it also. Going to miss them both, just like when Fred left.

...agree wholeheartedly bud.....two long term grinders who finally see the playoffs is the perfect definition of going out on top other than them BOTH hoisting the Lombardi....I think Kyle is too proud to come back in a backup rotational role at far less money......but, you never know......either way, they are BOTH warriors or "lunch pail guys" ala Talley.....WOF material....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

I gotta say, now that it has sunk in, this really hurts.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...I'd grab him for one more year to help develop a kid(s)......he is still in top shape and is a major OL force........but differing opinions make it all work......

I think that InCog had a good year last season but was not as dominant as he was the previous two seasons. You have him for one more year let him play out that season and then if you feel like the player your draft behind him isn't ready or Richie has a really great year I think you could easily resign him for one more season. I think if you sign him to an extension you risk taking a cap penalty for 2019. 

3 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I think that InCog had a good year last season but was not as dominant as he was the previous two seasons. You have him for one more year let him play out that season and then if you feel like the player your draft behind him isn't ready or Richie has a really great year I think you could easily resign him for one more season. I think if you sign him to an extension you risk taking a cap penalty for 2019. 

...so noted with my apology.......analyze his 2018 in season performance and THEN consider a possible extension...you are absolutely right...................

I wish Eric nothing but the best and wish he could still play for us. He really showed a lot of heart coming back from so many injuries and showed he belonged as a Buffalo Bill. 

While this really sucks for Eric didn’t we just sign him to a new deal? 

When did this injury happen? Shouldn’t we have known about it before he was signed? 

And now to sound really selfish, how does this change our cap situation? 

Sorry if its been posted, I just don’t have the time to sift through 14-15 pages

Just now, CDogg20 said:

I wish Eric nothing but the best and wish he could still play for us. He really showed a lot of heart coming back from so many injuries and showed he belonged as a Buffalo Bill. 

While this really sucks for Eric didn’t we just sign him to a new deal? 

When did this injury happen? Shouldn’t we have known about it before he was signed? 

And now to sound really selfish, how does this change our cap situation? 

Sorry if its been posted, I just don’t have the time to sift through 14-15 pages

...sounds like a more degenerative condition growing over time with no idea when it may (OR may not) reach a critical stage regarding his long term health........don't see anything sinister here.....kid has been a stalwart...............

23 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...sounds like a more degenerative condition growing over time with no idea when it may (OR may not) reach a critical stage regarding his long term health........don't see anything sinister here.....kid has been a stalwart...............

Yeah thats what it sounds like to me too but I wasn’t 100% sure. Seems like the Bills did know it was bound to happen at some point based off an article I read earlier. 

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Which article?

I’m trying to find it right now. Once found i’ll edit this post. 

Too many Bills articles in my history lol

Nvm I misread. It says it was “wear and tear”. Still makes me wonder how it couldn’t have been noticed before now if the wear and tear was this bad

Edited by CDogg20