Anyone familiar with San Fran Bay Area?

Fadingpain

Has anyone lived in the greater San Francisco Bay area?

Specifically, I'm interested in Pleasanton, California, sort of SE from Oakland, on the inland side of southern San Fran Bay.

Not too far from Hayward or Freemont.

What's this area like?  How difficult to get to good spot of San Francisco from there with traffic etc.?

Any info. would be welcome.

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Has anyone lived in the greater San Francisco Bay area?

Specifically, I'm interested in Pleasanton, California, sort of SE from Oakland, on the inland side of southern San Fran Bay.

Not too far from Hayward or Freemont.

What's this area like?  How difficult to get to good spot of San Francisco from there with traffic etc.?

Any info. would be welcome.

Thanks!

We live in Danville, Ca. 5 miles north of Pleasanton/Dublin. Pleasanton is a great little town. We go there quite a bit for various things. Restaurants, movies etc. Our storage unit is there also. Anyway, low crime, great weather. Adjoining to major highways. 580 East/West goes to San Fran. 680 North/West to San Jose/Fremont. "Easy" to get to SF depending on the time of day. BART station right there. But like everything else in this area, expensive as hell. What else do you need to know?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Dante said:

We live in Danville, Ca. 5 miles north of Pleasanton/Dublin. Pleasanton is a great little town. We go there quite a bit for various things. Restaurants, movies etc. Our storage unit is there also. Anyway, low crime, great weather. Adjoining to major highways. 580 East/West goes to San Fran. 680 North/West to San Jose/Fremont. "Easy" to get to SF depending on the time of day. BART station right there. But like everything else in this area, expensive as hell. What else do you need to know?

Thanks!  I was just wondering if it is generally a nice area or a not nice area.  You've answered that.

Is housing as bad as I fear it would be, or are you far enough away from the sweet spot in San Fran to be somewhat affordable?

Like can you buy a decent single family home for $650,000?

Or is that dreaming? 

27 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Thanks!  I was just wondering if it is generally a nice area or a not nice area.  You've answered that.

Is housing as bad as I fear it would be, or are you far enough away from the sweet spot in San Fran to be somewhat affordable?

Like can you buy a decent single family home for $650,000?

Or is that dreaming? 

I think you may have to go townhome for that price. I know that seems unreasonable but that's just the way it is here. Do some Google searching in the area. They are building a shite load of new stuff 3 or 4 miles down the road from me. Lot's of single homes and lots of townhomes. All off of Tassajara Rd.  I'm not a real estate expert but we do look from time to time. 

Here are some that are in that area.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/Dublin-Ranch_Dublin_CA

I think Dublin would be a bit cheaper than Pleasanton. The two towns are right across the highway from each other so it's the same area.

I travel to the Bay area quite frequently for work and know it pretty well. 

You're going to need more cash to get a single family home. Straight up. POS homes are going for stupid money right now. 

Do you need to work in San Francisco? Driving into the city would suck big time, plus you have bridge tolls. 

San Francisco is a wonderful city, but don't discount Berkeley, Santa Cruz, San Jose, etc. Plenty to see and do. It is my favorite food region in the country! 

Between Caltrain, BART and the Cap. Corridor there are some great options to get around quickly. 

Edited by TheElectricCompany

Thanks for the updates; I ask about Pleasanton b/c my significant other is entertaining doing a job interview for a huge international corporation that has a facility in Pleasanton.

I work at home and can move wherever with her, so I was wondering what this particular part of the Bay area might be like.

I'm used to DC housing prices so the housing costs don't scare me, but they still piss me off!  As long as my girlfriend could get to work in Pleasanton without too much trouble or a hellish commute, we could live wherever.  

I will nose around on some real estate sites.

I used to live in Dublin.  had a 950  sq ft. 2 bedroom apartment that was built in 1987.  Rent was $1550/month  in 2012 but I moved farther out (Tracy- the edge of the Central Valley ) because they were going to raise the rent to %$1850/month.  I am back in WNY now, but I checked the web site for my old apartment. It is now $2550/month.

22 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Thanks for the updates; I ask about Pleasanton b/c my significant other is entertaining doing a job interview for a huge international corporation that has a facility in Pleasanton.

I work at home and can move wherever with her, so I was wondering what this particular part of the Bay area might be like.

I'm used to DC housing prices so the housing costs don't scare me, but they still piss me off!  As long as my girlfriend could get to work in Pleasanton without too much trouble or a hellish commute, we could live wherever.  

I will nose around on some real estate sites.

If she is working in Pleasanton you will be in good shape. Commute to SF or anywhere across the water is hellish. Even San Jose commute is no bargain.

1 minute ago, Wacka said:

I used to live in Dublin.  had a 950  sq ft. 2 bedroom apartment that was built in 1987.  Rent was $1550/month  in 2012 but I moved farther out (Tracy- the edge of the Central Valley ) because they were going to raise the rent to %$1850/month.  I am back in WNY now, but I checked the web site for my old apartment. It is now $2550/month.

I have a brother in law that takes advantage of every government program going. Kinda half ass works somewhere but not sure what he is doing. Usually unemployed. He managed to wrangle his way into some brand new units right next to the BART station they just built in Dublin.  He is paying just over $1000 on some low-income deal. The working guy beside him has to pay between $2500 and $3000. PIsses me off when I think about it.

Pleasanton is a nice area, you'll like it there.

Commuting from there to San Francisco is going to be a hassle, especially with all of the bridges and tolls.

Aside from that, Pleasanton is a very nice area. You will get some hot summer days there. Hope that doesn't bother you. Pleasanton also has a great county fair during the summer time, which includes live horse racing. I believe it is the oldest horse race track in California.

Also, if you want to watch the Bills on game day with a group of Bills fans, you are more than welcome to join me with the San Jose Bills Backers.

And if you are a hockey fan, the San Jose Sharks are here too.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Don’t ever say Frisco either.  They legitimately get pissed.

I’ll try to remember that. I like to go to Boston and show off the Fumble Chart. Small wonder people turn on me when I visit their town....

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TheElectricCompany said:

OP - don't call it San Fran either. That's what the tourists say :thumbsup:

What do the people who live in San Fran call it?

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Don’t ever say Frisco either.  They legitimately get pissed.

So can't call it San Fran or Frisco.  What, I have to call it "San Francisco" every time?  Too many syllables.  LOL. 

2 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Pleasanton is a nice area, you'll like it there.

Commuting from there to San Francisco is going to be a hassle, especially with all of the bridges and tolls.

Aside from that, Pleasanton is a very nice area. You will get some hot summer days there. Hope that doesn't bother you. Pleasanton also has a great county fair during the summer time, which includes live horse racing. I believe it is the oldest horse race track in California.

Also, if you want to watch the Bills on game day with a group of Bills fans, you are more than welcome to join me with the San Jose Bills Backers.

And if you are a hockey fan, the San Jose Sharks are here too.

Thanks for the invite.  This all relates to a job my girlfriend may not even apply for; if she does, she would have to be offered a job and decide to accept it.  So it's not necessarily going to happen.

I thought, looking at a map, that this area would be not nice and like a bad suburb of Oakland.  

So I'm glad I asked, as it is obviously a lot nicer than I thought. 

Wow... 650k... A townhome?  !!! Look what 725k will buy you in my neck of woods and you can make just as much in Chicago with a 30 minute commute!  35 miles from downtown...

https://www.trulia.com/property/5029801293-3410-87th-Ave-Crete-IL-60417

ISinhwkmreczi61000000000.jpg

Only a $4,500 mortgage... :lol: But, if you are making +200k... A drop in bucket.

Taxes... $1,600/mo is included in that $4,500... +7k sqft on 8 acres...

We only get 35" of snow a year... Average. All-time record in Chicago is 82" (1979).

:D

3 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

What do the people who live in San Fran call it?

So can't call it San Fran or Frisco.  What, I have to call it "San Francisco" every time?  Too many syllables.  LOL. 

Thanks for the invite.  This all relates to a job my girlfriend may not even apply for; if she does, she would have to be offered a job and decide to accept it.  So it's not necessarily going to happen.

I thought, looking at a map, that this area would be not nice and like a bad suburb of Oakland.  

So I'm glad I asked, as it is obviously a lot nicer than I thought. 

Call San Francisco, "The City". That's what most people in the Bay Area call it.

Yes, Pleasanton is a good place. Some people refer to it as a suburb of Oakland, but that makes no sense to me since Oakland is a fair distance away. San Leandro, Alameda, Emeryville & even Berkeley are more like suburbs of Oakland.

Whereas Pleasanton is a small city in the Alameda Foothills along with Livermore.

12 hours ago, Dante said:

I think you may have to go townhome for that price. I know that seems unreasonable but that's just the way it is here. Do some Google searching in the area. They are building a shite load of new stuff 3 or 4 miles down the road from me. Lot's of single homes and lots of townhomes. All off of Tassajara Rd.  I'm not a real estate expert but we do look from time to time. 

Here are some that are in that area.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/Dublin-Ranch_Dublin_CA

I think Dublin would be a bit cheaper than Pleasanton. The two towns are right across the highway from each other so it's the same area.

Finally had some time to spend some time with that realtor list you put together; thanks for that! 

That is pretty gruesome stuff; DC pricing for sure!  

Makes you wonder what a great property in the sweet spot of "The City" goes for nowadays.  $3 million?

May have to move further out or a town or 2 away as long as a commute to Pleasanton would still be easy.

How far do you have to go to turn that $725,000 townhouse into a fee simple dwelling?

Don't say "Nevada".

LOL

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1221-York-St_San-Francisco_CA_94110_M23137-35758

Here is a nice house in the Mission District; $2.898 million