Anyone familiar with San Fran Bay Area?

Fadingpain

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 4:05 PM, Dante said:

I think you may have to go townhome for that price. I know that seems unreasonable but that's just the way it is here. Do some Google searching in the area. They are building a shite load of new stuff 3 or 4 miles down the road from me. Lot's of single homes and lots of townhomes. All off of Tassajara Rd.  I'm not a real estate expert but we do look from time to time. 

Here are some that are in that area.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/Dublin-Ranch_Dublin_CA

I think Dublin would be a bit cheaper than Pleasanton. The two towns are right across the highway from each other so it's the same area.

Honest question, how does anybody afford to live in that area?  I mean everybody can't be making half million dollars a year Like Chef Jim can they?  What do garbage men & teachers do for a dwelling?  Just find a nice cardboard box under the nearest bridge to call home? 

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 12:56 AM, Mark Vader said:

Call San Francisco, "The City". That's what most people in the Bay Area call it.

Yes, Pleasanton is a good place. Some people refer to it as a suburb of Oakland, but that makes no sense to me since Oakland is a fair distance away. San Leandro, Alameda, Emeryville & even Berkeley are more like suburbs of Oakland.

Whereas Pleasanton is a small city in the Alameda Foothills along with Livermore.

What do the people call Oakland?  The sh*thole?

On 1/23/2018 at 12:07 PM, Fadingpain said:

Has anyone lived in the greater San Francisco Bay area?

Specifically, I'm interested in Pleasanton, California, sort of SE from Oakland, on the inland side of southern San Fran Bay.

Not too far from Hayward or Freemont.

What's this area like?  How difficult to get to good spot of San Francisco from there with traffic etc.?

Any info. would be welcome.

Thanks!

I lived in the Bay Area for almost 9 years.  Just moved back to SoCal this July.  

Pleasanton?  Nice area.  It's kind the closest you'll get to Orange County up there.   If you're thinking of buying you're looking at probably a million for a "decent" home.  Crazy crazy expensive.  

Getting to SF is a haul.  Depending on traffic you're looking at least an hour without much traffic.  With traffic you're looking at 2-3 days :D.  The issue from that part of the East Bay is there is really only two ways to get there.  One is the San Mateo Bridge (if you don't like bridges stay away.  It's 8 miles long) or the Bay Bridge.  You can get stuck an hour just getting from Oakland to SF.  

Personally I couldn't wait to get out of there.  I live in Downtown SF for a few years then Oakland.  For me it was the people and the politics.  If you're a bleeding heart liberal it's your Mecca. If you lean anywhere left of center to the right it's gonna suck.  Trust me on this one.   And Oakland and SF?   Shitholes.  

10 hours ago, Gordio said:

What do the people call Oakland?  The sh*thole?

Yup.  Now having said that we doubled the value of our home in Oakland in 5 short years.  :worthy: