Anyone familiar with San Fran Bay Area?

Fadingpain

Pleasanton is where John Madden lives.  He (or his children) are reported to own a ton of apartment buildings in the town. It is a nice suburban town. The Dublin/Pleaasanton Bart station  is the end of one of the BART lines and can take you to most of the East Bay and SF.   Livermore is the town next to Dublin and Pleasanton and has  the Lawrence Livermore National Lab where the National Ignition Facility(NIF). The NIF is a lab trying to achieve a contained fusion reaction.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Wow... 650k... A townhome?  !!! Look what 725k will buy you in my neck of woods and you can make just as much in Chicago with a 30 minute commute!  35 miles from downtown...

:D

35 Miles from downtown aint in no way a 30 minute commute. 60 minutes at best on a train door to door..might as well live in Milwaukee

7 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

That is pretty gruesome stuff; DC pricing for sure!  

DC is getting quite crazy..you would hate to see what $1M gets ya now..and it ain't no townhouse that's for stinking sure. If you wanted to be in the District in a not"upcoming" neighborhood, $1m will get you a very nice, with top end appointments,  2/3 bedroom/2 bath condo with a parking space. Total SF maybe 1200.  Parking space deeded separately, figure about $50K of the $1M. 

42 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

People pay stupid money to live in many places. Hawai'i, San Francisco, Seattle, Vancouver, New York City, Aspen, etc. 

Total upper class first world problem. 

Or some of us bought our home at the right time and are sitting on a gold mine (not really). Far from upper class, just a working stiff. 

7 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Finally had some time to spend some time with that realtor list you put together; thanks for that! 

That is pretty gruesome stuff; DC pricing for sure!  

Makes you wonder what a great property in the sweet spot of "The City" goes for nowadays.  $3 million?

May have to move further out or a town or 2 away as long as a commute to Pleasanton would still be easy.

How far do you have to go to turn that $725,000 townhouse into a fee simple dwelling?

Don't say "Nevada".

LOL

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1221-York-St_San-Francisco_CA_94110_M23137-35758

Here is a nice house in the Mission District; $2.898 million

You can go out farther to places like Lathrop past Tracy,Ca. Another 30- 40 miles east of Pleasanton. My nephew bought one out there for the same reason. It's definitely NOT the same area though. Not as nice as you are now getting close to Stockton, Ca. . Not bad but honestly nothing like Pleasanton/Dublin vibe. Schools won't be as good. When or if this does happen for the two of you it would be wise to come out and spend time looking at your options.

Here are some Lathrop homes to give you an idea. 

https://www.trulia.com/CA/Lathrop/?cid=sem|dis|google|tbw_nb_stategeo_ca_fs_nat_cities_exact|Lathrop-HomesForSale-Exact_1042134444_50991527477_kwd-321858194574_246433790294_

31 minutes ago, 707BillsFan said:

Or some of us bought our home at the right time and are sitting on a gold mine (not really). Far from upper class, just a working stiff. 

An older customer of mine was a long time HP employee, toiling away in one of their engineering labs.  

Let's just say that he's looking forward to selling his home in Palo Alto. 

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

35 Miles from downtown aint in no way a 30 minute commute. 60 minutes at best on a train door to door..might as well live in Milwaukee

DC is getting quite crazy..you would hate to see what $1M gets ya now..and it ain't no townhouse that's for stinking sure. If you wanted to be in the District in a not"upcoming" neighborhood, $1m will get you a very nice, with top end appointments,  2/3 bedroom/2 bath condo with a parking space. Total SF maybe 1200.  Parking space deeded separately, figure about $50K of the $1M. 

Yeah it is... It's right off the expressway.  Hour by train.  Car is faster.

I live 20 miles from work... Work is just inside the border of Chicago and it takes me 20 minutes. Downtown is just 15more miles. I start at 06:00 or 18:00... I leave at 10 after and get there on the half hour.  Traffic isn't really that bad South of Chicago... It's like BFLo.  Rush on Dan Ryan is a wildcard though.

Now of course traffic varies. Just don't get caught in rush or it will take you 45 to 1.00... Weather varies too.

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Until the bubble busts again and population tanks... :P

Get out while the getting is good! :D

Bubble burst a few years back. It came back. It always comes back. I live in a very desirable area, we're fine (despite our fire :(). California's population isn't going anywhere. People say there's a mass-exodus...not true. While people are moving out, people are coming in too (from other states). Recently we had people move into our neighborhood from Texas (a couple of families), Idaho, Oregon off the top of my head. 

The only way we'll get out is if my daughters relocate elsewhere (even then, we'll keep our Wine Country home). One will be moving to Buffalo soon after college. The other is a free spirit. Who knows what she will do or where she'll end up. 

3 hours ago, TheElectricCompany said:

An older customer of mine was a long time HP employee, toiling away in one of their engineering labs.  

Let's just say that he's looking forward to selling his home in Palo Alto. 

Cha-Ching!! 

4 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

I think your pricing is a bit off there, but DC housing is quickly becoming some of the most expensive in the country.  I just left that housing market a few years ago so I'm still pretty familiar with it.  

10 minutes ago, 707BillsFan said:

Bubble burst a few years back. It came back. It always comes back. I live in a very desirable area, we're fine (despite our fire :(). California's population isn't going anywhere. People say there's a mass-exodus...not true. While people are moving out, people are coming in too (from other states). Recently we had people move into our neighborhood from Texas (a couple of families), Idaho, Oregon off the top of my head. 

The only way we'll get out is if my daughters relocate elsewhere (even then, we'll keep our Wine Country home). One will be moving to Buffalo soon after college. The other is a free spirit. Who knows what she will do or where she'll end up. 

Cha-Ching!! 

Won't there be a housing glut when the Boomers start dropping like flies in 10-15 years... ;)

One can dream...

Think about.  My wife and my family all got houses.  My father kicks (not even a Boomer) wifes parent's kick... Gotta liquidate those properties.  Now times that by millions.

Of course your right about your location, that's prime... But peak won't stay high forever and come back just as high.  Probably going to "ride down?"  But, that location sounds like you are in good shape!

High quality real estate which has location, location, location is virtually recession proof in any localized market.

When the housing bubble burst in what, 2009 (?), properties in the desirable parts of DC (where I lived at the time) actually kept going up.  People are going to want to live in and around the nice parts of San Francisco forever, unless they really do get the big one and California breaks off and floats off into the Pacific Ocean.

Until that happens, real property in good areas in the Bay Area is a rock solid investment.

DC maybe even moreso.

And selling into that market can set you up for a long time.

The "Bay Area" is a really complex market. Peninsula, Marin, north over the Bay bridge, or further north over the Golden Gate towards Petaluma and Santa Rosa.

Very different weather over small geographical distances,  and very different commute.

The City is a completely different environment, and not something I would buy in to.

The East Bay gets progressively cheaper as you get into Central Valley weather and commute difficulty.

If I was forced to live there, at least in the East Bay,  I would purchase a bit west of my employment, so I was driving east in the morning and west on the way home.

Nothing turns me off more than wasting my life in traffic.

We chose Benicia for our first home, and enjoyed it, but I was only driving into work once per week.

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

I think your pricing is a bit off there, but DC housing is quickly becoming some of the most expensive in the country.  I just left that housing market a few years ago so I'm still pretty familiar with it.  

The District is just so damn pricey now..we have a place on Kalorama Rd, 2 beds/2 baths...no parking 1000SF..conservative at$ 850K now. Now we do have a nice little front porch, which adds about $50K, so that might even out the no parking.

But in a top end building, $1M for 3 bed is about right.

10 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

The District is just so damn pricey now..we have a place on Kalorama Rd, 2 beds/2 baths...no parking 1000SF..conservative at$ 850K now. Now we do have a nice little front porch, which adds about $50K, so that might even out the no parking.

But in a top end building, $1M for 3 bed is about right.

Honest question... Are salaries really that much higher... How do people afford a 5k mortgage and do everything they want to do, save, etc... Or are people swimming in debt?

I must be too simple. :D

On 1/23/2018 at 12:25 PM, Fadingpain said:

Thanks!  I was just wondering if it is generally a nice area or a not nice area.  You've answered that.

Is housing as bad as I fear it would be, or are you far enough away from the sweet spot in San Fran to be somewhat affordable?

Like can you buy a decent single family home for $650,000?

Or is that dreaming? 

Come live in Marin!

http://www.pacificunion.com/real-estate/13-fielding-circle-mill-valley-ca-94941/21726338/46656650

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Won't there be a housing glut when the Boomers start dropping like flies in 10-15 years... ;)

Bay area is not exactly Florida, if you know what I mean. 

Plenty of young people and new tech money. Lots of foreign $$$ too.  

Edited by TheElectricCompany

14 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Honest question... Are salaries really that much higher... How do people afford a 5k mortgage and do everything they want to do, save, etc... Or are people swimming in debt?

I must be too simple. :D

Several factors in play, but just like in San Francisco, couple of major trends

1) DC area highest percentage of college graduates in the country, and with that comes the highest percentage of two-income families. So yes, salaries are higher, and in most cases have two earners making much above average income

2) Us old farts (boomers) are moving back to urban areas in ever-increasing numbers, we sick of the burbs and are still extremely active well into late 70's. And we got money, and willing to pay up for what we want. We beat out several bids from much younger folks for our place, It is why cities like Buffalo, Detriot, Pittsburgh on East Coast and Spokane and Portland on West are teeming with millennial activity now, housing is much more affordable compared with the traditional big Urban areas.