My Annual Ski Trip.

Chef Jim

3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

he is hard enough to take when he is sober..cant imagine him in a bar on an all-day bender trying to take the edge off with some weed...might as well nuke all of WNY in two weeks to avoid that!

I'll bring some weed to the opener this year.  You'll get to experience the Chef in all his glory.  

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

It concerns me that you know this...

You and me both man. You and me both.  His wife swore to secrecy.  

Travel tips: 

1) Bennington Bowling Lanes...great spot to meet people early in the morning

2) Look for good cell service around 20A and 77

3) Keep your cell phone attached to your hip...if there’s any way to weld it onto your body do it

4) Keep an extra set of car keys in your pocket

5) Join AAA

6) Travel to East Aurora

7) Go to Wallenweins or The Globe in EA for really great fish fry

8) Have fun Chef!!

Here is some advice... Shoot some vid. :D

Was in BFLo for the New Year... Snow was awesome in Ellicottville!  We Never did the Torch Light parade on New Year's Eve until this year... Hard to believe it took this long to cross it off our bucket list... My Brother did it exactly 30 years ago to date, that was when they started doing the parade Cindy's Run instead of Mardi Gras.

Shot some GoPro... FWIW... They still use low tech Fuse-EZ for the torches... Surprised the Millennials didn't burn themselves up...;) 

Went back for the weekend before MLK Day too... Shot some more GoPro.  Made a few QuikStories.

My son's runaway ski on "The Wall"... Awesome snow in morning when he was filming.  I bypassed it in afternoon to film him when it turned into one big ice rink... I know my soon to be 50 year old limits.  My son was trying over and over to master that icy headwall.  Good thing I was there to catch his runaway ski... Or he would have had a longer one-ski run.  So much for ski brakes, I guess hill too steep and icy for them to work, dig in:

Here is a QuikStory... Playing in the bumps on Ego Alley under Yodeler Quad. GoPro strapped to my son... He's starting to catch me in the bumps.  It was 60 degrees two days before we got this foot or so of snow.  Lots of bare spots hiding in these bumps:

My brother had an after Holiday party too in downtown BFLo... Big Guy is my Bro.  First time son's girlfriend was in BFLo... Falls... He's got better hair than her! ;)

Went on The Elmwood Strip, had falafel, went to The Falls:

Same thing last year before sending son off back to school after Holiday break. Did a QuikStory of last year's epic trip to the Arrowhead of Minny right before MLK weekend.  The full "Coffee Run" at 25 below on a sunrise over Lake Superior:

My co-worker lives in Attica, was a big fan or the Attica hotel. Unfortunately the deal to reopen fell through. She says Louie's lounge is right around the corner from the hotel on 98. American Legion is right across the street from Louie's. She prefers Louie's.

Edited by Steve O
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Steve O said:

My co-worker lives in Attica, was a big fan or the Attica hotel. Unfortunately the deal to reopen fell through. She says Louie's lounge is right around the corner from the hotel on 98. American Legion is right across the street from Louie's. She prefers Louie's.

That is odd... I know that town like the back of my hand. There are too many out of towner's related to whatever goes on in the prison to not have a to go place to stay a night or a week. I suppose they could always go to Batavia but that is only semi close. 

btw... the best weed ever sold in Attica was at the barber shop on prospect. 

Edited by T&C

8 minutes ago, T&C said:

That is odd... I know that town like the back of my hand. There are too many out of towner's related to whatever goes on in the prison to not have a to go place to stay a night or a week. I suppose they could always go to Batavia but that is only semi close. 

btw... the best weed ever sold in Attica was at the barber shop on prospect. 

So, are you a barber? 

11 minutes ago, Augie said:

So, are you a barber? 

Never needed one then... no I am not lol.  $40 got you the biggest plumpest bag of killer gold ever... those were the days, we thought they'd never end....

22 minutes ago, T&C said:

Never needed one then... no I am not lol.  $40 got you the biggest plumpest bag of killer gold ever... those were the days [my friend], we thought they'd never end....

...we’d sing and laugh, forever and a day........................................then hit the Mighty, I bet! 

Might want to bring your water skis instead.  I think there is still 10% of the ice on Lake Erie that is not frozen & as luck would have it the open water is at our end of the lake.  I heard the lake is beautiful this time of year.  There is no snow on the ground in Lancaster as we speak (although I am sure there is some down in ski country).  With temps hovering in the 50's this weekend, not sure how good the white powder on the slopes is going to be.  You should of came down a few weeks ago, my son told me the conditions at Holiday Valley were great. 

3 hours ago, Gordio said:

Might want to bring your water skis instead.  I think there is still 10% of the ice on Lake Erie that is not frozen & as luck would have it the open water is at our end of the lake.  I heard the lake is beautiful this time of year.  There is no snow on the ground in Lancaster as we speak (although I am sure there is some down in ski country).  With temps hovering in the 50's this weekend, not sure how good the white powder on the slopes is going to be.  You should of came down a few weeks ago, my son told me the conditions at Holiday Valley were great. 

Yep... Last patch in Erie WAS closed... But will reopen... As you can see around Long Point, Ontario... Gonna need snow after this latest thaw!

glsea_cur.png

New Year's and after Christmas was awesome... Went a few days to KB too. Took my daughter, she only goes 4-5 times a year and KB is a closer drive.... So KB is perfect for local crowd.  Snow was awesome! Even after the thaw a couple of weekends ago, HV got dumped on over a foot by two weekends ago.  The morning of the 13th we had almost a foot of powder... Had to barrel down, early in the morning, the whole 219 in 4x4... West Seneca to EVL.  But worth it. 

Some of the steeper runs like The Wall, Ego Glen & Alley were bare under that foot of snow... Yodeler, Champagne, Edelweiss, & Chute get packed fast by the riders/skiers.  But steep enough, it needs ice and less grooming. Steep enough where not grooming bumps works.  Giant frozen puddle/lake of powder, slush, & water @ Tannenbaum by easier runs where it is flat.  Devil's Glen just isn't that steep and the big snow made it slow through the woods and painful.  Got video footage of that (Devil's Glen), but it sucks, almost looks flat... That needs to ice up.  Poled through woods. The Wall had a giant ice batch with exposed steel drainage pipe peeking through... We were trying to avoid that and tearing up our skis.  Morning it was good on The Wall... By afternoon, useless that portion of the headwall... I just skied the lower part, but that didn't stop my son from trying to master that hunk of ice and strip of exposed drainage steel!  Amazingly, his skis faired well.

HV needs to ice up... Except for the only genuinely steep hill, The Wall, or sections of the whole area's headwall.  Just like around the rest of WNY, really no runs there that are above upper intermediate, double blue squares.  Big snow makes it slow.  Eastern hardpack and ice is really where it is if you want a faster cruising run on smaller hills.  I love, prefer a more a GS crusie then taking abuse and off piste punishment in bumps or woods.  Younger kids think differently.  I wish my son would wear a helmet (as did when a small child) when going off piste.  Even that footage I posted up in Minny... You can see my son looking to find any woods he can! As I approach my 50s I am going to have to watch out for over-extending myself and chasing my son in woods and bumps... Why I beat it ahead of him down runs like Ego.  He can put on brakes (which he did) rather than me! 

Yeah... But before that mid-week January 9-11th thaw... Conditions were impressive!  At KB after Christmas was awesome... Perfect for my daughter who cringes and tenses up at the sound of ice hitting her edges... 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois