Best sub or hoagy ever

Kelly the Dog

42 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Man I wish I wasn't 525 miles away... I'd get me one too! :mellow: God I love that sub.  Works too... Oil, onions & mayo!:D

You're killing me...

It's strange...everyone in person raves about the place, but when I went to get the address online, the Yelp reviews are horrible. Great stuff though. 

2 hours ago, john wawrow said:

Johnny C's on Transit has exceptionally good subs. so good, that my wife and I will make the occasional drive up Transit and on a Saturday no less to partake.

jw

As for the best cheese steak had in Philly: Tony Luke's.

As for a very good non-Philly-like but Philly inspired cheese steak in Bufalo: Gabriel's Gate.

Good man on the tony Luke’s they’re the breasts

Primos in jersey 

4B04E14B-C3C6-4233-92D2-797F4917DAC5.jpeg

On 1/31/2018 at 7:06 PM, Jamie Muellers Ghost said:

Chicken Finger sub w/ Blue cheese, side of rings. Good Guys, N.T.

Great last meal if your going to the chair!

Pizza junction was the best

Edited by Helpmenow

On 1/30/2018 at 6:26 PM, Bob Lamb said:

Mine was the meatball parm from Fera's on the Boulevard but Barb always went  for the chicken finger sub from John & Mary's

Mayback's is still there - highly rated for the fish frys

I miss them so much. Stupid taxes. The one downtown just isn't the same(it's the brother if iirc).

14 hours ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

It's strange...everyone in person raves about the place, but when I went to get the address online, the Yelp reviews are horrible. Great stuff though. 

I'm convinced that people that write reviews on the internet are for the most part people who expect a lot, are the "I want to see the manager" types, and treat people in service industry jobs as though they're low.  So you'll see a lot of 1-star reviews for employees being "rude" to them when in reality the reviewer is the insufferable !@#$.

That all being said, I've had better luck with google reviews than yelp or tripadvisor.

On 1/20/2018 at 4:55 PM, Helpmenow said:

Pizza junction

Pizza Junction had a pizza sub that I used to love.  Now, whenever I am in town, I have to have a steak sub from Jim's because they are just not as good in other places I have had them. I believe it is in part at least due to the bread. I may try a steak sub from somewhere else when I am in town this weekend.

4 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Pizza Junction had a pizza sub that I used to love.  Now, whenever I am in town, I have to have a steak sub from Jim's because they are just not as good in other places I have had them. I believe it is in part at least due to the bread. I may try a steak sub from somewhere else when I am in town this weekend.

I know I keep saying it, but if you want to venture to the East Side, Shy's Steakhouse has some of the best steak hoagies I have ever had. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, LeviF91 said:

I'm convinced that people that write reviews on the internet are for the most part people who expect a lot, are the "I want to see the manager" types, and treat people in service industry jobs as though they're low.  So you'll see a lot of 1-star reviews for employees being "rude" to them when in reality the reviewer is the insufferable !@#$.

That all being said, I've had better luck with google reviews than yelp or tripadvisor.

Some decent advice (not from Chef Jim) that I got one time was to ignore the 5 star and 1 star reviews. For the most part, it's been spot on. I remember reading a hotel 5 star review one time where the person spent an entire paragraph talking about the pancake machine they had in the breakfast buffet. Must have been a hotel employee. 

4 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Some decent advice (not from Chef Jim) that I got one time was to ignore the 5 star and 1 star reviews. For the most part, it's been spot on. I remember reading a hotel 5 star review one time where the person spent an entire paragraph talking about the pancake machine they had in the breakfast buffet. Must have been a hotel employee. 

A great rule of thumb is to always ignore the outliers. I know places pay people to write great 5 star reviews, and you have disgruntled people who have an agenda and will do anything to trash a place. “Their vegan menu wasn’t big enough!” Whose problem is that?

I was with an uber driver with a 4.88 rating. He said he had a couple who were fighting over a newly discovered affair he was having, and the guy gave him one star just for being in the car getting the drunk couple home. Perfection is not a lasting thing. You go with what the masses are saying, not the kooks. 

On 2/12/2018 at 4:20 PM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Long gone now, but the mid to late 70s had Art's Hoagie Hut on Hertel Avenue near Colvin.  Art and his brother Tony had apparently run Artones in South Buffalo, then Art came northside to start the Hoagie Hut.  Sausage and capacolla subs, steak hoagies, all excellent.

Art's was awesome. I worked at Gabel's for those years, a block away.

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Art's was awesome. I worked at Gabel's for those years, a block away.

Whatever cash I didn't spend from my job that didn't go to Art generally went across the bar at Gabels for liquid refreshment.  Wednesday nights, California coolers, 50 cents.  Ah, to be young again.

On 2/15/2018 at 12:35 AM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Whatever cash I didn't spend from my job that didn't go to Art generally went across the bar at Gabels for liquid refreshment.  Wednesday nights, California coolers, 50 cents.  Ah, to be young again.

Gabel's was one of the best bars ever. Really was amazing in a lot of ways. It's been in existence as a rock 'n roll bar for about 60 years. I was there in its heyday in the 70s. 50 cents for a cooler was awesome.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 1/31/2018 at 7:06 PM, Jamie Muellers Ghost said:

Chicken Finger sub w/ Blue cheese, side of rings. Good Guys, N.T.

Great last meal if your going to the chair!

First place I thought of when I saw this thread.  Fantastic subs, especially chicken finger and steak and cheese.

Underrated place is Tailgate Deli in Kenmore.  Turkey Club sub with banana peppers.