Kiper Mock Draft: Josh Allen #1

5 minutes ago, billspro said:

Rosen has the best arm in the draft, in my opinion. I still don't think he has the personality of a franchise QB. I expect him to be the next Jay Cutler. 

I like Mayfield and Rudolph for the Bills. Both improved their accuracy a ton in their senior season. 

I like Falk as a mid round back up QB prospect, he reminds me of Mike Glennon. My favorite sleeper prospect is Logan Woodside, I would love to get him late in the draft or as an undrafted free agent. 

Thanks for the gouge.  How do you rate Darnold, and what do you see from Rudolph especially as far as reads?

Rosen is the only QB that is ready to be taking snaps at this level, but even he would benefit from a year of sitting behind Eli Manning.

Also, as mentioned, people will be going nuts trying to trade up to 3 if "their" guy isn't one of the first 2 picks.  there's no way any of those guys just magically fall into Denver's lap at 5.  Jets and Cardinals are desperate and will do whatever it takes to get ahead of them so Denver could end up with the 4th QB in the top 5 picks!

1 minute ago, Buffalo30 said:

How many fans here have actually watched more than one or two games or a handful of highlights from Allen?  You look at the stats and go, wow he sucks.  Jumping to conclusions based on stats is not a great way to scout a player or form an opinion of him.  The kid has talent

I actually did watch him, wasn't too impressed with what I saw in the games, but I would still very much consider him and maybe even moving up to get him, depending upon where.

1 minute ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I actually did watch him, wasn't too impressed with what I saw in the games, but I would still very much consider him and maybe even moving up to get him, depending upon where.

Fair enough, I've watched a lot of his games this year and last year.  He has the most potential in this class in my opinion.  He would benefit to go into the right situation behind a veteran QB to learn.  He's a very competitive guy who was the clear leader of his team.  Had a great bowl game. Took Wyoming to their first bowl games in years.  I hope he goes to a good situation, he could be the next big arm in the NFL

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

How many fans here have actually watched more than one or two games or a handful of highlights from Allen?  You look at the stats and go, wow he sucks.  Jumping to conclusions based on stats is not a great way to scout a player or form an opinion of him.  The kid has talent

Watched his games. Wasn’t impressed. Some team will fall in love with his arm and measureables and draft him high. That same team will be looking for another QB in 3 years. 

Edited by Bangarang

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Thanks for the gouge.  How do you rate Darnold, and what do you see from Rudolph especially as far as reads?

I'll chime in because I've watched a lot on both.  Darnold has the grit and determination that Rosen lacks.  Darnold is a blue collar type to Rosen's priviledged white collar persona.  However, I don't like Darnold's arm angle.  It results in strip sacks.  He cocks it kind of sidearm from his hip.  Every one of his games that I watched he had the ball knocked out while in the pocket.  He needs to get the ball higher.  Coaches will say they can fix that but they can't, that's just how he throws.  They might be able to tweak it slightly but he gets his power by pushing the ball from his body rather than a good follow through from the shoulder.  It is a huge issue imo.  He does have a quick release but bringing the ball down that low is no bueno.  He also gets skittish in the pocket.  I'd like to see him work in the pocket and find the open receiver but when he gets pressure he starts tap dancing and he wants to take off and run or throw it quick instead of stepping up.  I would have him as a mid 1st pick but he will surely go between 1-3 because teams are desperate.  I see him as a game manager type QB at the next level.  He's not going to put a team on his back and pass for 400 yards.  He will need a good balanced running attack to give him opportunities in the passing game.

Rudolph looks the part.  Big, strong, clean cut kid.  He has gaudy numbers.  We didn't see NFL type reads and throws from him in the offense he ran.  It's very much 1 read and throw quick or throw a bomb to the wide open guy that just ran by everyone.  He had very good receivers and was in a pass friendly offense.  It's hard to knock him for those things, we just need to see more from him.  Sitting out of the senior bowl will be a big blow to teams that are interested in him.  He checks all of the boxes but can he take a snap from center, have good footwork in the pocket, and plant and deliver a strike?  We could have had some answers to those questions if he played in the senior bowl.  He looks like Dan Marino at times and it gets me excited but there's a very good chance he's more like Bryce Petty and his success was more about his receivers and the offense he ran.  Maybe he can do it, maybe he can't.  We just don't know!

• Like (+1) 1

Allen has elite QB traits. Value wise I think he is equivalent to Darnold, not that they are the same player (although comparable). Allen gets a lot of flak for poor footwork and throwing mechanics but right now he is most developed as a deep thrower and when you give him a clean pocket he actually displays very good fundamentals. It's in the short passing game and when forced from the pocket that his footwork and consequently his accuracy tends to go downhill. So he has things to work but with the benefit of good coaching and player development he stands a chance of making it. If he can give full expression to his physical skills while doing the other things an NFL QB must do he will become a franchise guy. 

Both he and Darnold are risky picks IMO. The safer guys are Rosen, Jackson and Mayfield. I think if you are projecting their ability to transition there are fewer questions with them than with respect to Rudolph.

Kipers draft is ridiculous. He doesn't even have Jackson going in the first (like Cowherd). There is no way that the Bills pass on him if he is there at 21. Thing is he almost certainly won't be.

Edited by starrymessenger
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

If Courtland Sutton is there at 21, you sprint up to the podium. And it's too bad he has Vita Vea going 19, he would be a nice fit for this defense.

Yeah, if Vea is there at 19, a trade up from 21 wouldn't be out of the question. I think he's a legit 1st round talent and day 1 starter.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Fair enough, I've watched a lot of his games this year and last year.  He has the most potential in this class in my opinion.  He would benefit to go into the right situation behind a veteran QB to learn.  He's a very competitive guy who was the clear leader of his team.  Had a great bowl game. Took Wyoming to their first bowl games in years.  I hope he goes to a good situation, he could be the next big arm in the NFL

I can absolutely live with and consider that he may have had an off year.  If that gives us a crack at him, then great.

I mean he was just given mad love before this season...his slightly off season may just plain benefit us in getting him.

Walter Football has us going CB first too. These mocks are all premised on no trades, which is kinda what you have to do give the craziness that putting in trades introduces. They are also pre-free agency, which makes them real shots in the dark. Where Kirk Cousins ends up will drive a lot of the mocks eventually. I can't condemn Kiper for doing his job. 

13 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Allen has elite QB traits. Value wise I think he is equivalent to Darnold, not that they are the same player (although comparable). Allen gets a lot of flak for poor footwork and throwing mechanics but right now he is most developed as a deep thrower and when you give him a clean pocket he actually displays very good fundamentals. It's in the short passing game and when forced from the pocket that his footwork and consequently his accuracy tends to go downhill. So he has things to work but with the benefit of good coaching and player development he stands a chance of making it. If he can give full expression to his physical skills while doing the other things an NFL QB must do he will become a franchise guy. 

Both he and Darnold are risky picks IMO. The safer guys are Rosen, Jackson and Mayfield. I think if you are projecting their ability to transition there are fewer questions with them than with respect to Rudolph.

Kipers draft is ridiculous. He doesn't even have Jackson going in the first (like Cowherd). There is no way that the Bills pass on him if he is there at 21. Thing is he almost certainly won't be.

I don't think Jackson is a first round pick either, but we shall see. I'm always a little suspicious of QBs who rush for 1600 yards  (two years in a row!). It makes the passing game a lot easier for them, and he wasn't even that great a passer this year despite the absolutely ridiculous rushing numbers (6.9 ypa and 18 rushing TDs). Needless to say, he won't be able to do that in the NFL. I don't see him as an ideal pro passer.

Edited by dave mcbride