Spotrac: The Mother of All QB Offseasons

The 2018 NFL offseason is shaping up to be one of the more unique, exciting periods since the invocation of the hard cap. For the first time in years, legitimate, experienced starting QBs will be hitting the open market. Toss in a few more on the cap casualty/trade block, and a half dozen more expected to go early in the draft, and the most important position in football may very well be oversaturated this spring.

First let’s take a look at the potential available quarterbacks this spring:

Potential Free Agent Quarterbacks

While extensions and/or tags are forthcoming for a few (Garoppolo, Brees, Keenum), there are currently 7 quarterbacks who saw substantial starting time in 2017 designated to hit the open market this spring.

Signed Quarterbacks on the Bubble

A few teams appear likely to move on from their current QB, even though they’re under contract in 2018. In any recent year this would have been a “trade” discussion, but with so many options available, it seems unlikely - or at least unreasonable to assume that teams would give up assets for any of these players.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The 2018 NFL offseason is shaping up to be one of the more unique, exciting periods since the invocation of the hard cap. For the first time in years, legitimate, experienced starting QBs will be hitting the open market. Toss in a few more on the cap casualty/trade block, and a half dozen more expected to go early in the draft, and the most important position in football may very well be oversaturated this spring.

First let’s take a look at the potential available quarterbacks this spring:

Potential Free Agent Quarterbacks

While extensions and/or tags are forthcoming for a few (Garoppolo, Brees, Keenum), there are currently 7 quarterbacks who saw substantial starting time in 2017 designated to hit the open market this spring.

LOL There are really only 4 QB likely to hit the open market, but let's puff up my piece and list 7, even though I acknowledge 3 of them won't

• Like (+1) 3

Brees - NO

Cousins - NYJ

Keenum - MIN

JG - SF

Cutler - Denver

McCown - ? Maybe Arizona

Bradford - Washington

My guesses for now. I think AJ McCarron winds up in Cleveland. Teddy Bridgewater or Bradford goes with Shurmur if he goes to Arizona. The other goes to Washington. 

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Brees - NO

Cousins - NYJ

Keenum - MIN

JG - SF

Cutler - Denver

McCown - ? Maybe Arizona

Bradford - Washington

My guesses for now. I think AJ McCarron winds up in Cleveland. Teddy Bridgewater or Bradford goes with Shurmur if he goes to Arizona. The other goes to Washington. 

Shurmur is going to new jersey

This is a silly article click bait disirregardless

2 minutes ago, jr1 said:

all these articles act like the franchise tag doesn't exist 

:huh: Quoted from the article:

23 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Brees - NO

Cousins - NYJ

Keenum - MIN

JG - SF

Cutler - Denver

McCown - ? Maybe Arizona

Bradford - Washington

I can not fathom Cousins playing for the Jets.

45 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Brees - NO

Cousins - NYJ

Keenum - MIN

JG - SF

Cutler - Denver

McCown - ? Maybe Arizona

Bradford - Washington

Cousins to the Broncos, Cutler unemployed. Wouldn't be shocked to see McCown in NYJ again. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm hoping for AJ McCarron to win his case vs the NFL and become a FA. I would trade a 2nd rd pick for AJ McCarron in a heart beat if the ruling doesn't go through. McCarron seems like the kind of QB that would have a good 1st season in Daboll's offense and there is a Alabama connection.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Because he's Kirk Cousins? Or because the Jets will almost certainly be big players in the QB draft derby?

Great question... I could have been clearer. Since the beginning of last year when I thought we had a shot at him, I have been watching his press briefs as well as been listening to some of the podcasts. Outside of the money aspect, he comes across to me as someone who wants/prefers 1 a great fan base 2 a coach (staff) who exhibits faith 3 since his son was born..... he has mentioned a few times he would like to raise him out of the big lights of a big city and 4 prefers to be closer to Atlanta (where wife is from) or Michigan. I guess with the limited knowledge I have gained that the Jets are out (with everything being equal).

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

Great question... I could have been clearer. Since the beginning of last year when I thought we had a shot at him, I have been watching his press briefs as well as been listening to some of the podcasts. Outside of the money aspect, he comes across to me as someone who wants/prefers 1 a great fan base 2 a coach (staff) who exhibits faith 3 since his son was born..... he has mentioned a few times he would like to raise him out of the big lights of a big city and 4 prefers to be closer to Atlanta (where wife is from) or Michigan. I guess with the limited knowledge I have gained that the Jets are out (with everything being equal).

How are the Bills not a great fit?

• Like (+1) 1

No way Cousins goes to Jets.  They got good QB play out McCown and won 5 games.  Plus Bowles is a lame duck coach.  Outside of Denver, I think we are the best fit for Cousins and might even be a better fit than Denver.  I'd prefer getting a franchise QB in the draft, but with our draft position the odds are extremely low of finding that guy.  

Just now, BuffaloRebound said:

No way Cousins goes to Jets.  They got good QB play out McCown and won 5 games.  Plus Bowles is a lame duck coach.  Outside of Denver, I think we are the best fit for Cousins and might even be a better fit than Denver.  I'd prefer getting a franchise QB in the draft, but with our draft position the odds are extremely low of finding that guy.  

:lol: He and the GM just signed contract extensions.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

:huh: Quoted from the article:

The point is, these types of articles are considered to be "click bait" because they purposely capitalize on the timing of their release. The thesis is only relevant (somewhat) right now, therefore the only way to generate revenue from this specific information is to put it out now, even though there is nothing really substantial included.

By the time this "Mother of all QB off-seasons" idea is actually an important talking point amongst the majority of fans (soon after the SB), some of those QBs will no longer qualify for this list, rendering the original thesis less relevant. It's still projected to be one of the more interesting off-seasons for QBs in some time, but this well-timed publishing is taking advantage of the timing factor, which allows for (what will most likely end up being) saturated and exaggerated information. It's the way of the "journalist" these days...

Sure, the disclaimer was included at the beginning of the article, but that only enhances the irrelevance of the article. No need to defend the author (unless it was you). 

19 minutes ago, yungmack said:

The first 4 aren't going anywhere. In fact, I'm not sure any of those 7 are going anywhere. And if any of them are, please, OBD, do NOT for a single moment think about bringing in Cutler, Bradford or Cousins. Pretty please?

I don't get the Cousins hate. 

He set franchise records in multiple seasons, with average talent (compared to other teams). This year, he was playing with a rag-tag roster, and had up and down games (expected).

Aside from a big contract, what is it about him that is turning Bills fans away? Unless the Bills strike gold in the draft, and are able to get good QB play with a rookie contract, they'll need to spend for good play. 

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, aceman_16 said:

Thanks. The last item - close to his/his wife's home and not a mega city - makes sense. But looking at what cities fit the bill, you'd have (probably in order): Lions (not in the market for a QB), Packers (same), Browns (well, that great fan base may come back, but they're pretty demoralized now), Vikes (who knows?), Bills (seems to fit the bill to me), Jags (maybe a fit there too).  So that limits the field to a pretty small group of teams ...

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Thanks. The last item - close to his/his wife's home and not a mega city - makes sense. But looking at what cities fit the bill, you'd have (probably in order): Lions (not in the market for a QB), Packers (same), Browns (well, that great fan base may come back, but they're pretty demoralized now), Vikes (who knows?), Bills (seems to fit the bill to me), Jags (maybe a fit there too).  So that limits the field to a pretty small group of teams ...

Yeah I agree. Of course..... money being equal that is.