Glad we let Marrone walk...

bills6969

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

That's crossed my mind as well, but some guys are just made to be a head coach (regardless of their previous specialty) and install a winning culture in the locker room.  I think there's sufficient evidence at this point that Marrone is a good NFL head coach.

He has a much stronger personality then Bradley did so I think that helps a lot as unpleasant as he may be

57 minutes ago, PIZ said:

I want a coach I like and respect.  Marrone doesn't fulfill either.

You know, I agree with this.   Marrone's ego is SO big, he's arrogant, and he's often in your face.   Now, all those things may serve him well as a head coach, but they don't make the guy very likeable.  

Just now, K-9 said:

Are you saying that they had discussions with Ryan before Marrone up and quit? 

Marrone wanted extensions and raises for his his entire staff and was denied. That doesn’t rise to forcing him out the door. 

He thought he had the Jest job locked up, made a power play he knew wouldn’t work, and left. Nobody forced him out as you suggest by saying they didn’t do anything to keep him. And he screwed his staff in the process, not to mention his players. 

They didnt force him out,  but if new ownership isn't willing to invest in you and your staff,  and you have a dumbass for a GM,  why would you stay?  

18 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Marrone took a team that Gus Bradley built into an elite defense and simply added a RB. That’s it. I am still not seeing how he some great coach. His offense— which is his forte— is on the same level as the Bills.

How many games did Gus Bradley win with his built team?

Doug definitely left on his own accord.  He and Schwartz were doing fine but he still had no qb, new rookie owners, a GM that he did not like, and an incredulous “out with pay” in his contract.  He thought he had the Jets job.  Maybe he was not impressed with the Pegula’s?

He he got lucky just to land in Jacksonville, and his Bills experience got him the interim HC job. He got lucky again when Coughlin showed up.  Coughlin has his hands in all of th3 football operations. 

8 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Are you saying that they had discussions with Ryan before Marrone up and quit? 

Marrone wanted extensions and raises for his his entire staff and was denied. That doesn’t rise to forcing him out the door. 

He thought he had the Jest job locked up, made a power play he knew wouldn’t work, and left. Nobody forced him out as you suggest by saying they didn’t do anything to keep him. And he screwed his staff in the process, not to mention his players. 

This was a mistake, in hindsight.  

The Pegulas gambled they could do better than Marrone and lost in the process as well.

51 minutes ago, RussellDopeland said:

Saint Doug was an over-officious pr!ck. He walked away-actually slithered out of town in a snake-like manner under the cover of darkness (on New Year's Eve no less).  The guy thought he was gonna have the Jets' job handed to him on a silver platter.  He wasn't sent packing by the Pegulas. He left of his own volition. He's a d-bag!

Throw in the stupid things Miami does and you have an example of why the Patriots have been dominated the AFCE.

2 minutes ago, bills6969 said:

They didnt force him out,  but if new ownership isn't willing to invest in you and your staff,  and you have a dumbass for a GM,  why would you stay?  

That’s a different argument. 

Was it cool of Marrone to screw his coaching staff like that? 

Marrone had a three-day out clause in his contract in the event of an ownership change.  So,

he could stay and deal with EJ as his QB, Whaley as his GM, and earn $4M

--OR--

he could leave, earn $4M, and likely get the Jets HC job and get paid another $5M. 

He would have been Doug Moron if he stayed.  Blame Whaley for giving him such an asinine out-clause.

• Thank you (+1) 1