Bills Qb away?

Mat68

It is only the first half,  but after Tennessee getting smacked by NE and Jacksonville running all over Pittsburgh my conclusion is that Buffalo's defense is good enough.  Give Mcdermott and that defense a 21st century offense and Buffalo can become one of the best teams in the conference quickly.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

It is only the first half,  but after Tennessee getting smacked by NE and Jacksonville running all over Pittsburgh my conclusion is that Buffalo's defense is good enough.  Give Mcdermott and that defense a 21st century offense and Buffalo can become one of the best teams in the conference quickly.

A QB and some offensive weapons.

With any type of semi-efficient offense, the defense is good enough. Still need pieces, but offense is the problem worth addressing right now. 

33 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

No.  McDermott and Frazier had a brilliant game plan for attacking the Jags O, and our team's D over performed vs Jax.

What makes me hopeful (see what I did? *g*) is that they were able to craft that plan.  But they need DLmen and ILB, and we need at least 1 OLman, 2 WR and a backup RB, plus other depth.

27 minutes ago, twoandfourteen said:

Interesting take. 

With even below-average QB play this season, the Bills probably win 2 more games and would still be playing getting their butts kicked this weekend. 

FIFY

You're probably right about the two games, but surely you see we need more than that to take it to the next level where we can beat Chargers, N'Orleans, Pitt and Philly, compete with NE etc

30 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

Glass half empty?

No, but you have to know the Bills overachieved with that lineup. When the OP asks how far away we are, the question becomes "how far from what?" Another wild card? Not that far. Super Bowl contender? Years away.

31 minutes ago, twoandfourteen said:

Interesting take. 

With even below-average QB play this season, the Bills probably win 2 more games and would still be playing this weekend. 

That's where intangibles come in.

Buffalo has a fair amount of cap space and loads of draft picks.  The team is not without faults but a Qb with potential and at minimum average play should allow Buffalo to play in this weekend next year and possibly beyond.  For a change I am watching games and watching coaches and teams make mistakes the Bills would not.

I was happy with the team breaking the playoff drought, but they very definitely over-achieved.  

I love the culture that the coaching staff and front office are building, but living off turnovers is very unpredictable and unsustainable.

I'm afraid that the team has to address quite a lot in order to build a consistent contender.  If they can re-sign EJ Gaines, I think that the defensive secondary can be a building block to a very good defense.  Still, I think the team needs 2 LBs, at least 1 DT and a DE that can provide some pass rush.  

On offense, they are going to need some help at OG, a speed WR and, of course, the ever-elusive QB.  

Ideally, I hope that they can get a decent QB prospect without trading up.  If they can, then with their other 1 and 2 #2 picks, I'd like to think that they could find a good DT and LB.  I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope that a very good pass rushing DE will be available to them in the draft.

I would think that maybe they can get some role players for the D (maybe another LB and a veteran DT) in FA.  

Still, even if all of those things break right, they are still not guaranteed to even make the playoffs.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

20th against the pass 29th against the run.

What is that good enough for, and what does that have to do with Tenn losing to the pats (by the same 21 points the Bills just lost to the by as well )?

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

You can't take the Jags game as a measuring stick and then project into the future of where the Bills defense actually is.  The game plan vs the Jags is not how you want to play defense but we had too or we actually would have gotten ran all over.  It worked because Bortles was off the money most of the day and it was the gamble we took.  But against a halfway accurate passer, there is no way we could have played defense that way.  Playing defense that way opens up a lot of other things and Bortles exposed the problems with that by just running.  That's one of the weaknesses, but a halfway accurate passer would have carved the defense up on the Play Action passes.  So when thinking about next year's opponents you cannot take that game and say the defense is good enough.  There's no way we are playing Brady like that twice, Rogers, Mariota, Rivers, Stafford, Watson and going to replicate that success.  The Jags game was about game plan vs that specific opponent only.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, twoandfourteen said:

Interesting take. 

With even below-average QB play this season, the Bills probably win 2 more games and would still be playing this weekend. 

Yes, I agree with Dalton, Smith, Bridgewater, (fill in with 20 other names), we would've played one more game, and lost to Brady (unless the fill in name was Brees, Ben, Ryan, Rivers, Cousins, Newton, Wilson, etc).