Marcell Dareus: Going to Jaguars “changed my life”

6 minutes ago, Gordio said:

Consider that a blessing in disguise. 

The girls were actually so ugly & out of shape when when we went in Jacksonville that two of the girls came buy to flirt with us(get us to go back & have lap dances) the one sat on my friends lap & we made up a story that we were in a high level business meeting & just wanted to be left alone & to come back later. 

Marcel only goes for the buffet anyway 

3 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

If Cordy can come back healthy and have a good pre season I really dont want the Bills to trade him.

Pretty sure the ship has sailed, while CG is not necessarily ancient for olinemen he is approaching 30 and has had serious injury issues the last few years.

And even if healthy in the offseason there's no way Beane is rolling the dice and keeping him around with the current contract. if he's willing to restructure for half the money he's getting now than obviously he might be back but still think he will be traded or released outright.

1 minute ago, Peter said:

Let's not kid ourselves.

We made the playoffs in large measure because:

1) A very late and questionable call against the Colts on the two point conversion;

2) A miracle play by Andy Dalton on 4th and 12 from the 49 yard line.

In 2017:

Our point differential was worse than in 2016.

Our offense was ranked worse than in 2016.

Our defense was ranked worse than in 2016.

I hope McBeane are very successful with the Bills, but let's not think that these guys walk on water or that we need to say "amen" every time the word "process" comes out of their mouths.

A winning record and playoff appearance with quite possibly the least-talented roster in the NFL.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GG said:

They needed to clear the deck ahead of FA signing period in March.   He was taking up way to much cap space for a space eating 50% rotational DT (which is also coincidentally his role on the Jags) 

Again, he still takes up at least the third highest amount of cap space in 2018 even though he will not play for us next year (and most of this past year).  I also suspect that he would have been playing more - especially given that McBeane outsmarted themselves and had to end up signing a bigger (less talented) tackle.

12 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Unless the 5th rounder turns into another steal like Peterman than it's not robbery. In fact even if we land a good player with the 5th rounder you can argue it's still lopsided considering Dareus is a former 3rd overall pick still in his prime years.

I just have a sick feeling that MD is going to go on to have a great career in Jax and win multiple championships with St. Doug and Coughlin while the Bills might potentially flounder again.

Jeez don't get sick. Concerned? Maybe. Have you now added 'St.Doug/jags to your other favotire teams the pats***,  & fish?

2 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

A winning record and playoff appearance with quite possibly the least-talented roster in the NFL.

They have created more and more holes for themselves that have to be filled. 

I wish them luck. 

I wish them the same luck that it took to get into the playoffs (miracle play by Dalton and late and questionable call against the Colts on the two point conversion).

Knowing the history of Buffalo Sports teams, I think that it will be a while before we have the good fortune to have that kind of luck.

I suspect that, with the holes that we have on this roster, it will take even more of a miracle to get into the playoffs next year.  I hope I am wrong and somehow we manage to do it.  I do not think that it is likely though.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

I wish nothing but injuries on him from here on out.....total selfish waste here in Buffalo

You wish nothing but injuries on a player?!?  Hmmm.

Happy New Year.

32 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I can tell you from personal experience this last weekend, they are DEFINITELY NOT better in Jacksonville. Worst/weirdest strip club experience of my life Saturday night. 0/10, would not go back.

Watching Boyst get naked at Wing It does not count as a strip club!

13 minutes ago, Gordio said:

that we were in a high level business meeting & just wanted to be left alone & to come back later. 

:lol::lol:

1 minute ago, Peter said:

They have created more and more holes for themselves that have to be filled. 

I wish them luck. 

I wish them the same luck that it took to get into the playoffs (miracle play by Dalton and late and questionable call against the Colts on the two point conversion).

Knowing the history of Buffalo Sports teams, I think that it will be a while before we have the good fortune to have that kind of luck.

I suspect that, with the holes that we have on this roster, it will take even more of a miracle to get into the playoffs next year.  I hope I am wrong and somehow we manage to do it.  I do not think that it is likely though.

The holes were created due to the ridiculous salary cap situation that Whaley left Beane with. It's going to take two or three more years to become a true contender.

12 minutes ago, Peter said:

The deal and the lack of a clause mitigating the impact of suspensions is on the prior GM (and Overdorf).  Hindsight is what it is.

Nevertheless, notwithstanding the contract, I still disagree with the trade and its timing for the reasons why I have stated.

No matter what the Bills do, Dareus will be at least the third highest "paid" (cap space) Buffalo Bill in 2018 even though he will be playing elsewhere.  Depending on what the Bills do, Dareus may even end up being the highest or second highest "paid" Buffalo Bill.

Even if you are one of the accountants that love this trade, it clearly did not have to be made when it was made.  We could have had him play for the Bills this past year and next year and then decide whether to trade him.

I could be wrong, I often am, but at the time of the trade I think it was clear Taylor could not be the long-term answer at QB and Beane was figuring out how to clear cap to make it possible to bring in a high priced FA this offseason.  A very high priced FA.  Now you can do that without a lot of cap space the first year if you hand over a hefty signing bonus and amortize it, but you have to have cap cleared the following year to pay salary.   So take your dead cap hit in 2018 and clear the path for 2019.

There are other ways to do this, of course, but a possible contributory factor for the "have to be made right now" could be practice and meeting demeanor.  McDermott absolutely could not preach culture change and "earn the right to win" if he tolerated lateness, inattentiveness, or slacking.

From what he said in yesterday's presser, I think it was clear that Beane knew very well the timing of the trade would pose a player personnel challenge for the defense and he did it anyway, which says something.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

This was my statement based on the facts (i.e. this regime dumping all the Whaley picks/contracts).

Also a source of my close to situation confirmed they wanted Dareus and Glenn specifically gone from day one because of their contracts, although Glenn became a secondary issue because he didn't have the 'baggage' Dareus did.

The way you wrote it seemed to me like you were summarizing the articles.

So I can believe you that the staff made no effort to help a premiere talent to achieve his potential, which would be totally against their own self interest, or I can dismiss it because you offer no evidence and also seem to be trolling.

I will leave it to you to guess which way I think of it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Wayne Arnold said:

The holes were created due to the ridiculous salary cap situation that Whaley left Beane with. It's going to take two or three more years to become a true contender.

In the meantime, Dareus takes up at least the third highest amount of cap space on the Bills in 2018 regardless.

Any savings on Glenn and Hughes in 2018 is not worth the holes that they would create.

We traded Watkins for Gaines and EJ is a free agent now as is Watkins.

Darby was on a reasonable rookie deal.

this follows the op's typical posting structure.  it's always content that some how pumps up another team, while coming off as doom and gloom for the buffalo bills.  we can do no right, and everyone else can do no wrong.  this has been going on for a long time now, and again, i have no idea why someone would even bother.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Peter said:

Again, he still takes up at least the third highest amount of cap space in 2018 even though he will not play for us next year (and most of this past year).  I also suspect that he would have been playing more - especially given that McBeane outsmarted themselves and had to end up signing a bigger (less talented) tackle.

People keep getting hung up on players potential rather than their performance on the field.  Bills rid the roster of their paper players, and the results were self evident.  

I don't know who you think would be a less talented DL they will sign in FA who couldn't replicate Dareus's role at half the cost.   That's why I said to wait until the off-season to see if Jags retain Dareus at his current deal.  

15 minutes ago, Peter said:

Let's not kid ourselves.

We made the playoffs in large measure because:

1) A very late and questionable call against the Colts on the two point conversion;

2) A miracle play by Andy Dalton on 4th and 12 from the 49 yard line.

In 2017:

Our point differential was worse than in 2016.

Our offense was ranked worse than in 2016.

Our defense was ranked worse than in 2016.

I hope McBeane are very successful with the Bills, but let's not think that these guys walk on water or that we need to say "amen" every time the word "process" comes out of their mouths.

So now we have to find excuses on why we MADE the playoffs?

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I could be wrong, I often am, but at the time of the trade I think it was clear Taylor could not be the long-term answer at QB and Beane was figuring out how to clear cap to make it possible to bring in a high priced FA this offseason.  A very high priced FA.  Now you can do that without a lot of cap space the first year if you hand over a hefty signing bonus and amortize it, but you have to have cap cleared the following year to pay salary.   So take your dead cap hit in 2018 and clear the path for 2019.

There are other ways to do this, of course, but a possible contributory factor for the "have to be made right now" could be practice and meeting demeanor.  McDermott absolutely could not preach culture change and "earn the right to win" if he tolerated lateness, inattentiveness, or slacking.

From what he said in yesterday's presser, I think it was clear that Beane knew very well the timing of the trade would pose a player personnel challenge for the defense and he did it anyway, which says something.

We could have traded, cut, or re-negotiated his contract at the end of 2018.

It is clear to me that Marcel was not a disruption or cancer (as some have thrown out that term) given what his teammates had to say about him and his community service and reaction to the trade.  The guy has had a lot of tragedy in his life . . . especially given his age.  In my view, a talented coach should be able to deal with his Dareus' personality. 

Just my two cents.

3 minutes ago, GG said:

People keep getting hung up on players potential rather than their performance on the field.  Bills rid the roster of their paper players, and the results were self evident.  

I don't know who you think would be a less talented DL they will sign in FA who couldn't replicate Dareus's role at half the cost.   That's why I said to wait until the off-season to see if Jags retain Dareus at his current deal.  

So now we have to find excuses on why we MADE the playoffs?

We made the playoffs.

Wonderful. It was fun.  Now we have to deal in reality.

If you like the luck that it took to get there (and overcome the deficiencies of our team), you should go to Vegas and see if lady luck smiles upon you.