Marcell Dareus: Going to Jaguars “changed my life”

6 minutes ago, Peter said:

In the meantime, Dareus takes up at least the third highest amount of cap space on the Bills in 2018 regardless.

Any savings on Glenn and Hughes in 2018 is not worth the holes that they would create.

We traded Watkins for Gaines and EJ is a free agent now as is Watkins.

Darby was on a reasonable rookie deal.

Doug Whaley - the gift the keeps on giving

Disagree about Glenn, but agree about Hughes.

Darby trade got ultimately us Benjamin. Well worth it.

48 minutes ago, Peter said:

I agree.

Dareus' teammates loved him. He loved playing for the Bills and in Buffalo.  He was about to receive a community service award when he was traded.  I believe that the negative stuff about him not fitting into the "process" blah, blah, blah was just the new regime trying to justify getting rid of him for a 6th round pick that turned into a 5th.

Also, to all of the accountants who loved this trade, Dareus is going to be the third highest paid Buffalo Bill in 2018 (as of right now) . . . except that he will be playing for the Jaguars.

Come on, you don't think the multiple suspensions and being sent home for a preseason game because he couldn't bother to make it to the team bus on time had anything to do with them trading him?  How about his conditioning level?  Remember, he was suspended for I think the first half of the 2016 season and came back and immediately missed time due to a pulled hamstring - that appears to show that he was out of shape when he came back after having a half-season vacation. 

From the public view, Dareus appears to be a nice happy-go-lucky guy.  He doesn't seem to be a jerk or anything, but he didn't seem to take his job (for which he was highly paid) seriously.  They rid themselves of him for those reasons - he wasn't earning his money and, more importantly, when you are trying to build a culture of effort, intensity and accountability, you can't have one of your most highly paid players not buying into that - how would his teammates view that?

Edited by OldTimer1960
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I like KB also, but we had other assets to get him.

Also, it only will be "well worth it" IF we can sign him to an extension.

5 minutes ago, Peter said:

We could have traded, cut, or re-negotiated his contract at the end of 2018.

It is clear to me that Marcel was not a disruption or cancer (as some have thrown out that term) given what his teammates had to say about him and his community service and reaction to the trade.  The guy has had a lot of tragedy in his life . . . especially given his age.  In my view, a talented coach should be able to deal with his Dareus' personality. 

Just my two cents.

We made the playoffs.

Wonderful. It was fun.  Now we have to deal in reality.

If you like the luck that it took to get there (and overcome the deficiencies of our team), you should go to Vegas and see if lady luck smiles upon you.

Let's continue the discussion from another thread.

Here are the top salary cap players heading into the 2017 season:

Marcel Dareus

Jerry Hughes

LeSean McCoy

Cordy Glenn

Tyrod Taylor

Charles Clay

These players also count a lot towards the 2018 cap, which would be worse if you added Sammy to it.

The money tied up with these players contracts severely hampered the team's ability to add or keep FAs in 2016 & 2017.

So while many were up in arms about Bills tossing talent overboard this year, none of those players other than Shady were the difference makers this season.. What's worse, is that all these players came up small in the first week of the playoffs (and yes, I'm looking at you Sammy Watkins).

So spare me the season's worth of crying about the process and how McDermott has gutted the core.   That core was rotten, and it's time to keep cleaning out the rot.

51 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Back when this trade happened, I said if St. Doug and Tom Coughlin couldn't get Dareus career back on track nobody could. Also it's very troubling the Beane and McD were focused soley on Dareus contract and not trying to support him and harness such a talent.

I haven't read this entire thread but it seems to me that it might be difficult to provide the right kind of support for Dareus when you're a first year, first time HC and GM. So much on their plates. It takes so much time and effort being truly supportive and helpful to be successful with someone like Dareus. Remember, he's not only smoking a lot of weed which isn't that big a deal unless you play in the NFL, he's still very much trying to process all of the personal tragedy in his life, and he has to trust and respect the people trying to help him too. We don't know what was going through his mind and even if he would accept the support from McDermott or Beane..

2 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Doug Whaley - the gift the keeps on giving

Disagree about Glenn, but agree about Hughes.

If you truly believe the Bills got the best of the KB for Darby trade, thank de Lawd you're not the GM.

2 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Come on, you don't think the multiple suspensions and being sent home for a preseason game because he couldn't bother to make it to the team bus on time had anything to do with them trading him?  How about his conditioning level?  Remember, he was suspended for I think the first half of the 2016 season and came back and immediately missed time due to a pulled hamstring - that appears to show that he was out of shape when he came back after having a half-season vacation. 

From the public view, Dareus appears to be a nice happy-go-lucky guy.  He doesn't seem to be a jerk or anything, but he didn't seem to take his job (for which he was highly paid) seriously.  They rid themselves of him for those reasons - they he wasn't earning his money and, more importantly, when you are trying to build a culture of effort, intensity and accountability, you can't have one of your most highly paid players not buying into that - how would his teammates view that?

Yes, he got suspended.  Yes, he was late.

Those are situations that can be managed with a guy who is well liked among his teammates.  If he were a d-bag and hated by his teammates, I would agree with you. 

50 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I can tell you from personal experience this last weekend, they are DEFINITELY NOT better in Jacksonville. Worst/weirdest strip club experience of my life Saturday night. 0/10, would not go back.

You obviously have never been to Fon Du Lac, Wisconsin.

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Ha, no I havent, but I would expect better out of Florida. Strippers may be the ONLY good thing I expect out of Florida.

Well if you ever find yourself in Green Bay I would avoid, pretty sure it scarred me for life.

13 minutes ago, GG said:

Let's continue the discussion from another thread.

Here are the top salary cap players heading into the 2017 season:

Marcel Dareus

Jerry Hughes

LeSean McCoy

Cordy Glenn

Tyrod Taylor

Charles Clay

These players also count a lot towards the 2018 cap, which would be worse if you added Sammy to it.

The money tied up with these players contracts severely hampered the team's ability to add or keep FAs in 2016 & 2017.

So while many were up in arms about Bills tossing talent overboard this year, none of those players other than Shady were the difference makers this season.. What's worse, is that all these players came up small in the first week of the playoffs (and yes, I'm looking at you Sammy Watkins).

So spare me the season's worth of crying about the process and how McDermott has gutted the core.   That core was rotten, and it's time to keep cleaning out the rot.

Let's create more and more holes and still have dead cap space in 2018. 

None of these guys you list are d-bags.  They are all well liked among teammates. One of those guys even had the fortitude to come back from a kidney operation.

Clay may be our most dependable receiver.

Hughes is the only guy that gets any pressure on the QB on a team that had significantly fewer sacks/QB pressures than last year.

Dareus (as a tackle) does a lot that does not necessarily show up on the stat sheet and still will take up at least the third highest amount of cap space in 2018.

McCoy is the best player on the team.

Tyrod was on a reasonable contract this past year.  His future depends on other options going forward.

Sammy's contract is over this year. The Rams, Bills, Pats, whoever all have the option to pay him whatever he is worth.  The same is true with EJ Gaines (for whom Sammy was traded). 

Edited by Peter

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I can tell you from personal experience this last weekend, they are DEFINITELY NOT better in Jacksonville. Worst/weirdest strip club experience of my life Saturday night. 0/10, would not go back.

It was nice knowing Sara had 3 kids and was back with her boyfriend...

Those girls yave no effort. And the the creep 4" away from the crotch not dropping money got more attention than we did.

And Joe know supplied a new item to my bucket list. Have a stripper wear my hat on stage.

40 minutes ago, Peter said:

They have created more and more holes for themselves that have to be filled. 

I wish them luck. 

I wish them the same luck that it took to get into the playoffs (miracle play by Dalton and late and questionable call against the Colts on the two point conversion).

Knowing the history of Buffalo Sports teams, I think that it will be a while before we have the good fortune to have that kind of luck.

I suspect that, with the holes that we have on this roster, it will take even more of a miracle to get into the playoffs next year.  I hope I am wrong and somehow we manage to do it.  I do not think that it is likely though.

You wish nothing but injuries on a player?!?  Hmmm.

Happy New Year.

Yup, karma

1 minute ago, Boyst62 said:

It was nice knowing Sara had 3 kids and was back with her boyfriend...

Those girls yave no effort. And the the creep 4" away from the crotch not dropping money got more attention than we did.

And Joe know supplied a new item to my bucket list. Have a stripper wear my hat on stage.

You know where I hear they have great strippers? SACKSONVILLE!!

• Haha (+1) 1