Fixing the pass rush

I didn’t see a topic on it and think that it is a huge need. The secondary is AMAZING imo. What they did with little pass rush was incredible. If they had a rush in front of them I believe that the turnovers would rise and it would provide some relief to the run defense. You need to get teams behind the markers some. With that being said what are your solutions to addressing it this offseason?

• Like (+1) 3

I'm going to sound like a lunatic here so I'll put on my flame suit and begin.  I think McDermott plays a coverage defense.  To say he plays a defense that doesn't need a great pass rush would sound stupid I imagine but it's true.  Now that is out of the way I can say who wouldn't want a better pass rush?  I think we missed Dareous and I think a good defensive tackle will help the pass rush more than a pass rushing end.  We need someone who can penetrate and/or collapse the pocket and chase the QB's out to the DE's.

3 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

I'm going to sound like a lunatic here so I'll put on my flame suit and begin.  I think McDermott plays a coverage defense.  To say he plays a defense that doesn't need a great pass rush would sound stupid I imagine but it's true.  Now that is out of the way I can say who wouldn't want a better pass rush?  I think we missed Dareous and I think a good defensive tackle will help the pass rush more than a pass rushing end.  We need someone who can penetrate and/or collapse the pocket and chase the QB's out to the DE's.

Hmm, I don't know about that. Carolina seemed to always put up very good sack numbers under McDermott. Not sure how, just great players? Did he blitz more with Carolina? again, I am not sure, but those teams got after the QB. 

12 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I didn’t see a topic on it and think that it is a huge need. The secondary is AMAZING imo. What they did with little pass rush was incredible. If they had a rush in front of them I believe that the turnovers would rise and it would provide some relief to the run defense. You need to get teams behind the markers some. With that being said what are your solutions to addressing it this offseason?

I think Lorax becomes primarily a 3rd down pass rusher and we will replace him on base defense with another SLB.

I think we will draft at least one pure pass rusher in the draft. 

I think they go hard after Star L from Carolina to free up Washington/Williams (hopefully).

I think at least one more Ryan Davis type of free agent signing.

8 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Any zone defense relies heavily on a strong pass rush.  

Carolina was consistently towards the top of the league in sacks when McDermott was there.  He will want that here.

Gotta get a DT to push the pocket.

Taven Bryan DT Florida is by far the most disruptive DT in this draft. He’s not as strong against the run (enter Star Lotulelei) but we are talking pass rush. Dude is strong, super quick off the ball and can penetrate.

Also look for Malik Reed Nevada DE in the later rounds.

DTs- K Williams, Lotulelei, Bryan, Washington.

DEs- Hughes, Lawson, Yarbrough, Reed (also Lorax)

8 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

Hmm, I don't know about that. Carolina seemed to always put up very good sack numbers under McDermott. Not sure how, just great players? Did he blitz more with Carolina? again, I am not sure, but those teams got after the QB. 

Not sure he really blitzed more. I think great coverage by linebackers helped those guys get to the quarterback. I also think dominate tackles helped to bring pressure up the middle. 

I'd probably go after Kony Ealy and draft a guy like Sam Hubbard. 

12 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think Lorax becomes primarily a 3rd down pass rusher and we will replace him on base defense with another SLB.

I think we will draft at least one pure pass rusher in the draft. 

I think they go hard after Star L from Carolina to free up Washington/Williams (hopefully).

I think at least one more Ryan Davis type of free agent signing.

Any zone defense relies heavily on a strong pass rush.  

Carolina was consistently towards the top of the league in sacks when McDermott was there.  He will want that here.

Star L seems like more of your average run stuffer with very little pass rushing skills. I would definitely not over pay for Star L.

Second biggest need on the team after Quarterback for me.  If I am able to stand pat at 21 and get my QB then I am taking a D-lineman with 22.  Either an interior penetrating DT or a defensive end who is a pass rusher first and foremost.  I'm willing to take a guy who might still need some work on lane discipline in the run game in order to get extra pressure on QBs.  With another 3 or 4 pressures a game (that is all we are talking) this defense goes from situationally good to genuinely top 10 calibre because those extra 3 or 4 incompletions get teams off the field and force more turnovers and short field.  

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Star L seems like more of your average run stuffer with very little pass rushing skills. I would definitely not over pay for Star L.

He is but he frees up the other DT.  I don't know Carolina very well but apparently Short's production is helped a lot by Star.

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/2017/08/28/carolina-panthers-star-lotulelei/

• Like (+1) 1

Marcus Davenport & Harrison Phillips. Davenport is 6’7” 265, And is seen as a major riser among draft experts. Could be taken with one of our 1st round picks, or possibly a 2nd round pick. He fits what McDermott is looking for physically as well, Big, Long, lean, and mobile. 

Phillips is an underrated pass rusher. At Stanford this year he had over 90 tackles, 14.5 for a loss, and 7.5 sacks. His junior season he had 46 tackles, 10 for a loss, and 7 sacks. I feel like he’s the type of player that will fall because his measurables won’t meet his production, but he’s the type of guy I could see fitting in very well in a McDermott system. He could likely be had with one of our 2nd round picks or even our 3rd rounder. 

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He is but he frees up the other DT.  I don't know Carolina very well but apparently Short's production is helped a lot by Star.

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/2017/08/28/carolina-panthers-star-lotulelei/

Short is a superstar.  He would produce next to a waste paper basket.  One of the most underrated players in the league.  

I'd like Star but there is a ceiling for a player of his type $$s wise.  

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Short is a superstar.  He would produce next to a waste paper basket.  One of the most underrated players in the league.  

I'd like Star but there is a ceiling for a player of his type $$s wise.  

Short got a 5 year/$80 million I believe?  He's a disruptor and a star (no pun intended).

I would say Star would have a salary nearly cut in half?  5 year/$40 million?  Just a pure guess....I haven't looked up contracts with similar DT's.

40 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

I don't believe that to be entirely true. When he was DC in Carolina they got after the QB like crazy. They also had Luke Kuechly, Thomas Davis, etc... He was also fortunate enough to have Josh Norman. I look at it like this.... He and Frazier did a HELL of a job getting this secondary to cover for the D-line.