2018 Veteran QBs - the Mega Poll

Veteran QBs - Which One?  

277 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like to see the Bills target for 2018?

• Keep Tyrod (already signed; $$$)
    • Alex Smith (trade)
    • Kirk Cousins (free agent; $$$$)
    • Andy Dalton (trade)
    • AJ McCarron (free agent; $$)
    • Josh McCown (free agent; $$)
    • Chase Daniel (free agent; $)
    • Teddy Bridgewater (free agent; $$)
    • Case Keenum (free agent; $$$)
    • Sam Bradford (free agent; $$$)
    • Eli Manning (trade)
    • Matt Moore (free agent; $)

5 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I'd be alright with getting Alex Smith but no way I'm trading a 2nd round pick for him.  Reid got him for a 2nd rounder when he was 5 years younger.  Plus there's probably never been as many decent vet QB's that'll be available as this offseason.  They can have their 4th rounder back from the Ragland trade.  

KC traded 2 picks for Alex Smith - 2nd round pick and another pick which ended up being 2nd round pick following year.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/9044991/san-francisco-49ers-announce-trade-alex-smith-kansas-city-chiefs

The 49ers will receive the Chiefs' second-round pick, 34th overall, in this year's draft and a conditional pick in next year's draft, a person familiar with the terms told The Associated Press.

{/quote]

It was conditional on win total.  KC went from 2-14 in 2012 to 11-5 in 2013 with Smith.  If Bills improve 9 games from last year, KC can have our entire draft.  Point remains that KC got 5 good years from a 29 year old QB for a 2nd rounder and a conditional pick.  A 34 year old QB with 13 years of mileage is not worth the same price.  

OK, 179 votes so far, and the surprise for me is this: "Keep Tyrod" is polling at 4.5%.  That's less than "Trade for AJ McCarron" (why?) and also less than "Sign Teddy Bridgewater", "Sign Case Keenum", and even "Sign Sam Bradford."  What happened to the Tyrod fans? It's not like any of these options are demonstrably better when you take into account age, injury risk, and/or lack of a sufficient track record of success.

"Sign Cousins" is still the leader. "Trade for Alex Smith" a solid second, which I get, but I'm not sure why it has 5 times the support of "Trade for Andy Dalton." Dalton is younger, has only one year left on his contract, and plays for a team that likely will be in pseudo-rebuild (McD style) mode for 2018.

My take:

Scenario A:  if you're going to draft a QB in, say, the top 35 picks (1st rounder or trade up to a higher 2nd rounder), I'd go with the cheaper alternatives with an eye toward getting half a season of starts, maybe a full season. And that means I'd be looking at the possible 2018 version of Josh McCown or Case Keenum: McCown himself, Chase Daniel, maybe Teddy Bridgewater if the price doesn't go too high. (I'm pretty sure Keenum will get ridiculous money from some desperate team; same for Bradford; Bridgewater's injury was so gruesome and he's been out for so long that I think he comes a lot cheaper).  To me, AJ McCarron is a poor fit - he'll probably get a multiyear deal at too much money, and I'm not sure he's better than a Chase Daniel. Why no love for him? Amazing that the guy's been in the NFL for 8 years and has thrown a grand total of 78 passes. This year's Josh McCown?  Whatever it is, I want his job: NFL QB, big salary, no risk of concussions holding that clipboard (or Surface Tablet?).

Scenario B: if you're not going to be drafting/grooming a QB in the 1st/high 2nd, then you use those picks to fill in the other positions and roll the dice on Cousins. He's probably not your classic "franchise guy/will lead us to a Super Bowl." He's probably a really expensive Alex Smith in His Prime Years. I don't really like the idea of trading for Manning/Dalton/Smith - they're better fits for teams that can make a plausible case for being "a decent QB away from being a legitimate Super Bowl contender." That would be, umm, Jacksonville. Maybe even Denver with a mini-rebuild, or the Cardinals if Fitzgerald and Johnson come back. That's not the Bills right now.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

9 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

This is where we disagree completely.  Like on the other side of universe far apart.

Our offense was legendarily bad.

Yes. Our offense was terrible, we just put most of our blame in different places.

You (and many) put most of it on Taylor.

I put most of it on Dennison.

And no, that's not me saying I want a new OC and Taylor here long term and it's not me saying Taylor doesn't share a significant chunk of the blame for our offensive woes.

But what I seriously don't want is Dennison as the OC responsible for developing whoever we inevitably (yes, I think it's inevitable at this point) draft at QB in the 1st round.

But I do understand that the popular thing to do after a loss or after a disappointing season (which this season wasn't... but with some of the posts today, you'd never know) is to break out the torches and pitchforks, so have your fun.

9 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Tyrod being our starter with a rookie on the bench is going to be a hard sell. We’d be calling for him to be benched the first time he checks down on 3rd and long or misses a wide open receiver. At this point, I think the relationship has run its course and it’s time for both sides to move on.

Might happen. But what "relationship" are you referring to?

Between player and coach or player and fans?

If the former, I pretty much agree.

If the latter, I think a lot of people have been trying to analyze consistently what McDermott thinks and feels and has been trying to do and have frequently been very wrong.

Forgive me if I don't think the relationship between McDermott and Taylor is nearly as fractured as the media and public thinks.

5 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

You can not pin 33.4, 34.6 and 44.3 on Dennison!!!!!!

wake up for goodness sake.  

Let’s move on from another McDermott gamble.  

TT not Dennison 

I blame Dennison for calling an outside zone run in the Bills playoff game that resulted in a loss of 3 yards by Shady.

Just because Tyrod sucked, doesn't mean Dennison didn't suck.   Dennison sucks.   Time to move on.

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

KC traded 2 picks for Alex Smith - 2nd round pick and another pick which ended up being 2nd round pick following year.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/9044991/san-francisco-49ers-announce-trade-alex-smith-kansas-city-chiefs

Alex Smith is worth a second and at his age now. No first round. I think Alex would be better what we have but no better Drew Brees or Tom Brady level.

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan

8 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

125 mil for Cousins and the most guaranteed money?  No for me.  He is not top 5 to me.  

But would be 10x better what we have now. Kirk with this D would be second round playoffs I think. But would be lots better we have right now.

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan

I picked Bridgewater. I'd be shocked if he were available. Minnesota loves the guy.

Bills need to rethink the OC and the zone blocking before they quarterback shop. Fixing the Rick Dennison problem is #1 off-season issue IMO.

Edited by dpberr

Priority #1 = Get rid of Dennison

Priority #2 = Sign a decent and affordable transition QB: McCarron, Bridgewater, McCown, Daniels (or trade for Smith if the price is reasonable)

Priority #3 = Draft a QB that you believe is the future (do a big trade up or stand pat and hope your guy falls to you--if we do #2, I'm good with either of these draft options)

Totally out of left field option: Trade one of your later picks (3+) for this guy = Tayson Hill - Sean Payton loves him (we know how McD loves QB's that can play Special Teams, and if he doesn't work as a QB, at least you have a strong ST contributor)

It looks like McCarron is a RFA that changes things . 

We could ask our best friend Andy how good is AJ . If he has a 2nd rd tender I don't think so.

Edited by ALF
added info